Jay Peak, VT or Sugarloaf, VT

Old December 21st 05, 01:45 AM

Default Jay Peak, VT or Sugarloaf, VT

My 13 yo son and I are considering spending 5 days sking in February at Jay
Peak, Vermont. I seem to recall having had a great time there about 25-30
years ago. Does anyone have more recent memories or experiences they care
to share? We're also considering Sugarloaf in Maine.. Same question.

Thanks,
Phil

Old December 21st 05, 02:36 AM

eblaster wrote:
My 13 yo son and I are considering spending 5 days sking in February at Jay
Peak, Vermont. I seem to recall having had a great time there about 25-30
years ago. Does anyone have more recent memories or experiences they care
to share? We're also considering Sugarloaf in Maine.. Same question.

Jay Peak can be great or awful, depending on conditions. It gets a lot
of snow, but when they don't get enough snow, it's horrifically icy. I'm
just going by my experience. Sugarbush might be a better bet, if you
had to spend 5 days there.

But my real question is, why spend the whole 5 days at just one place or
the other? You could branch out and ski 2 or 3 places, like Stowe,
etc. None of these VT places (except maybe Killington) has enough
terrain to hold you for 5 straight days.

Dave

Old December 21st 05, 03:09 AM

If you want to try different ski areas try Waterbury,Vt. There is a good
hotel there. It used to be a Holiday Inn. Now I think its a BestWestern,
From there in 25 minutes you can ski Stowe, Bolton Valley, Sugarbush,
Sugarbush North or Mad River. The Hotel is less than a quater mile off the
Interstae on 100 north. Its been a couple of years since I stayed there, but
food was fairly good.

Old December 21st 05, 04:32 AM

Mike wrote:
If you want to try different ski areas try Waterbury,Vt. There is a
good hotel there. It used to be a Holiday Inn. Now I think its a
BestWestern, From there in 25 minutes you can ski Stowe, Bolton
Valley, Sugarbush, Sugarbush North or Mad River. The Hotel is less
than a quater mile off the Interstae on 100 north. Its been a couple
of years since I stayed there, but food was fairly good.

And there's ice cream nearby!

--
ant

Old December 21st 05, 04:28 PM

I myself can't wait to get to Jay Peak this year. I live in Albany, NY and
usually go to Gore or stop short in K-ton. Gore and Jay have outstanding
glades if you're into that. Jay has much more snow than Gore and everyone
else for that matter. It's really insane how they get dumped on up
there--I'm jealous since I only make it up there once per year.

Old December 22nd 05, 02:28 AM

"Mike" wrote in message
If you want to try different ski areas try Waterbury,Vt. There is a good
hotel there. It used to be a Holiday Inn. Now I think its a BestWestern,
From there in 25 minutes you can ski Stowe, Bolton Valley, Sugarbush,
Sugarbush North or Mad River. The Hotel is less than a quater mile off the
Interstae on 100 north. Its been a couple of years since I stayed there,
but food was fairly good.

Mike,

It is a Best Western now and reasonably priced and not far from Stowe and
Sugarbush. Was up there Sunday morning at Stowe and they have been getting
pretty good snows everyday since last week. Conditions were great. They put
in a new high speed detachable lift on the Spruce Mountain side
(beginner/intermediate) but also some fun terrain for any level.
TG

Old December 22nd 05, 02:31 AM

"eblaster" wrote in message
My 13 yo son and I are considering spending 5 days sking in February at
Jay
Peak, Vermont. I seem to recall having had a great time there about 25-30
years ago. Does anyone have more recent memories or experiences they care
to share? We're also considering Sugarloaf in Maine.. Same question.

Thanks,
Phil

Hi,
Depending whether it had been snowing or not both places can be very icy.
I'd pick Sunday River especially going with your 13 yr old son. It has a
lot more terrain there for him and yourself. If you do not mind driving 30
minutes you can stay in Gorham, NH. From there you have several more ski
areas that would be within 30 minutes or less.

JQ
Dancing on the edge