Vino

Old August 2nd 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Default Vino

Well, geez, I went on vacation and left a big cat fight !! hahahahaha

someone else said it best. I view the people on here as I would a friend I
work out with. We talk about the TDFrance, doping, biking, training, wax,
skiing, snow, rollerskiing etc. All topics but politics and family are OK
to talk about during a workout together. Same goes for here with me.

People who patrol the newsgroup and tell me to shut up should move
themselves over to rec.running or rec.biking where people like to ARGUE and
be rude to each other. I was a smart ass above, for sure, but come on
people, lets talk about ENDURANCE sports in general in the summer some !!
only 3-4 months to snow.

Jkal.

Old August 2nd 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Hey this is the big thread of the summer. It even pulled Tegeder out
of the woodwork.

Jay W

Old August 4th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Default Did any skiers get trapped in the Twin Cities bridge collapse?

To our two Jays:

Are you all right, did anyone we know get hurt when that bridge fell down?

Terje

--
-
Old August 6th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

On Aug 4, 4:07 am, Terje Mathisen
wrote:
To our two Jays:

Are you all right, did anyone we know get hurt when that bridge fell down?

Terje

--
-

I doubt anyone here knew him, but Julie and I lost a friend.

Jay

Old August 6th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

On Aug 6, 11:09 am, "Bjorn A. Payne Diaz"
wrote:

I doubt anyone here knew him, but Julie and I lost a friend.

I guess I could be more specific. Pat Holmes, a former co-worker of
Julie's at Roseville HS. We used to get together for dinner, but with
kids and their move to Mounds View, we lost contact.

BTW, (to bring it back to skiing) I talked with former Coach John
Strand at the visitation. I was suggesting that snowmaking may not
solve the skiing problems since it may not be cold enough to make snow
for a good chunk of the winter in the future. Last Dec we had a quick
cold snap followed by a lot of warmth and rain. He seemed to agree.

Jay

Old August 7th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 degrees

Sorry for the loss Jay. I was wondering the same after the accident.

To bring it back to skiing again though ---

you are right, it might be too warm for snowmaking in the Twin Cities area,
BUT I am totally surprised a "ski tunnel" like in Sweden and Finland hasn't
popped up yet. Private donations, sponsors, vendors, and yearly memberships
surely might make it a worthwhile money maker (or at least break even?)
There seem to be soooooooo many skiers from your area who travel travel
travel... How many times have you skied your brains out on your own self
packed 1-2km loop ??

JKal.

Old August 8th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

On Aug 7, 2:11 pm, "32 degrees" wrote:
Sorry for the loss Jay. I was wondering the same after the accident.

To bring it back to skiing again though ---

you are right, it might be too warm for snowmaking in the Twin Cities area,
BUT I am totally surprised a "ski tunnel" like in Sweden and Finland hasn't
popped up yet. Private donations, sponsors, vendors, and yearly memberships
surely might make it a worthwhile money maker (or at least break even?)
There seem to be soooooooo many skiers from your area who travel travel
travel... How many times have you skied your brains out on your own self
packed 1-2km loop ??

JKal.

Skiing the 1-2 km loops is like doing laps in the pool. When I was
finally able to ski a 1/2 loop on a local golf course (at 0 F) last
winter, it was really easy to do a 2 hr workout compared to skiing
"the loop." The main benefit of the artificial snow is the consistent
grooming, but it also brings skiers together, so it's really a social
meeting. I think the local skiers would groan about skiing in a
tunnel. Yes, it would be welcome as a way to gain conditioning, but
it's hard to do loops and have motivation for conditioning when you're
uncertain if the races are going to have enough snow to be run. I
think most skiers are doing more running and cycling, and just skiing
when the condtions turn good.

We need to get NASA to send up the shuttles with ping-pong balls or
something that shadows the earth from the sun. It just seems like
there needs to be a big fix...a global fix applied soon.

Jay

Old August 8th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

We need to get NASA to send up the shuttles with ping-pong balls or
something that shadows the earth from the sun. .

.... or a cool nanotech polymer that matches snow's friction and
structure at 80F.

Old August 9th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Ski Tunnel

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:46:16 -0000, "Bjorn A. Payne Diaz"
wrote:

Skiing the 1-2 km loops is like doing laps in the pool. When I was
finally able to ski a 1/2 loop on a local golf course (at 0 F) last
winter, it was really easy to do a 2 hr workout compared to skiing
"the loop." The main benefit of the artificial snow is the consistent
grooming, but it also brings skiers together, so it's really a social
meeting. I think the local skiers would groan about skiing in a
tunnel. Yes, it would be welcome as a way to gain conditioning, but
it's hard to do loops and have motivation for conditioning when you're
uncertain if the races are going to have enough snow to be run. I
think most skiers are doing more running and cycling, and just skiing
when the condtions turn good.

If the weather is right, I ski on weekends in the winter. If there
was a ski tunnel in my city, I'd probably ski once a weekend and once
or twice a week midweek. An MP3 player would be key.
--
JT
****************************
Old August 9th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Norski

Jay,
As you know, I live 150 miles north of you, on Lake Superior, right in the
heart of 'big snow country' for the midwest. I've been lucky enough to have
lived here all my 50 years. It sure seems like there is less snow every year
and the ski season is getting shorter and shorter.
While 50 years isn't much of a measurement compared to the age of mankind,
it is easy to see changes looking back over my life span.
Lake Superior is down over 12". That is a huge amount of water. Where did it
all go?
Gave up on my back yard garden, with the drought, it is so dry that the dirt
is like dust. My maple trees seem to be drying up and dying, along with a
few white pines too.
Tracts of land are being sub-divided smaller and smaller, for more and more
homes and vacation homes. Much more traffic.
Normally we get 'lake effect' snow up here. This year there was nothing,
until two freak blizzards in April. It looked to have been perfect for the
'lake effect' snow all winter. Lake Superior was not iced over and temps
were about 20 degrees F. Yet nothing.
I got my engineering degree from Michigan Tech University over in Houghton
and was there the year the record snow fall was set at about 358". This
year, when I went up to Houghton for the Nationals, they were scraping snow
off parking lots to try and hold a race on about 2" of snow, dirt and
leaves.

My parents lived here all their life too. Society is much different than the
way they lived. For a vacation, they drove over to Duluth once or twice a
year. That is 60 miles one way. Maybe went to Mpls every five years, a
really big event for them.
Now people drive to work every day 60 miles each way. We drive long
distances to race every weekend and train. People don't want to change their
lifestyle. I know I don't want to give up the freedom to drive every where.
I'm no scientist, but I'd guess that we're changing the environment so much
that it is just going to keep getting warmer and warmer.

--

Paul Haltvick

oups.com...