Summer Cross training

Old March 29th 04, 05:24 AM
wacopaco

Default Summer Cross training

I really want to do something in the summer that will improve my riding in
the winter. I've read about the freebord and flow labs flow board, but are
there anything else out there that I could do?

What do you guys do in the summer to get that snowboard fix??

Old March 29th 04, 10:37 AM
Randd01

Windsurfing is an awesome crosstraining tool if you near water. Board control
is Identical!
Old March 30th 04, 06:33 PM
Dmitry

"wacopaco" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
I really want to do something in the summer that will improve my riding in
the winter. I've read about the freebord and flow labs flow board, but are
there anything else out there that I could do?

What do you guys do in the summer to get that snowboard fix??

Well, I could suggest kiteboarding but gear is pricey and after
getting a hang of it you might start viewing snowboarding as a
nice way to keep yourself in shape for the next season of kiteboarding.

But if you've seen a picture of a kiteboarder really pressing the
rail before takeoff and a picture of a snowboarder in a deep
carve you'd be amazed how much similar they are.

Old March 30th 04, 07:00 PM
Mike T

What do you guys do in the summer to get that snowboard fix??

Since I live near Mt Hood I just go snowboarding now and again (expensive
and not much terrain during summer though)...

....but I usually dedicate summer and fall to getting in better shape for the
next season, and do a lot of weightlifting and cardio. (This summer, I'll
be focusing on regaining all the balance I've lost with my grade 2 ankle
sprain though, and strengthening the ankle so that I decrease the chance of
another sprain)

Mike T

Old April 1st 04, 03:57 AM
wacopaco

Thanks for all the advice. This summer I think I might get a long board or
maybe a flowboard ( www.flowlab.com ). I was looking at the sector 9 cosmo
(cosmic 2, i forget which one it is). They're about the same price but the
flow board apparently is a smoother carving board.

Just another question, having never skateboarded before, just how similar
are the techniques used in skateboarding and snowboarding skills?

Old April 1st 04, 07:01 AM
John

"Mike T" wrote in message ...
What do you guys do in the summer to get that snowboard fix??

Since I live near Mt Hood I just go snowboarding now and again (expensive
and not much terrain during summer though)...

Mike T

I wondered how long it would be 'til you posted to gloat--but then, I
was considering doing the same.

There's nothing like snowboarding to stay in shape for snowboarding.

Here's my two cents: after being off the snow for more than a month
due to a calf tear (done during a hard toe-side turn, mind you!) I
have concentrated on core strength exercises. As of this last weekend
I'm back on the snow and riding better than ever.

the red-coated rider.
Old April 1st 04, 07:53 AM
Switters

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 03:57:31 GMT, "wacopaco"
allegedly wrote:

Just another question, having never skateboarded before, just how
similar are the techniques used in skateboarding and snowboarding
skills?

Some similarities, but suprisingly different. You'll be on a much much
smaller platform, so your balance is critical. I started on a standard
sized skateboard and it took me ages just to stay on the thing, whilst
pivoting on the back wheels moving the front to and fro.

Still good fun though, but it hurts more when you bail, plus nearly
everyone younger than you is better :-)

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old April 1st 04, 08:03 PM
John Davison

"wacopaco" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
I really want to do something in the summer that will improve my riding in
the winter. I've read about the freebord and flow labs flow board, but are
there anything else out there that I could do?

What do you guys do in the summer to get that snowboard fix??

Wakeboarding!! Unfortunately you need a boat or know someone that will
pull you. Skateboarding helps too.

Neither wakeboarding or skateboarding is the same as snowboarding, but
they'll improve your balance and increase your confidence.

-- John
Old April 3rd 04, 09:25 PM
lizbubb

What do you guys do in the summer to get that snowboard fix??

Mountainboarding.

You can ride anywhere there's a decent slope, but in the UK at least there
are dedicated centres opening all the time, with freestyle runs (grass
halfpipes scare the beejeezus out of me), jumps and boardercross as well as
long carving runs. One even has a drag lift!

The boards are a little cheaper than snowboards. They tend to come with
basic loop bindings but as people progress many switch to full snowboard
bindings (flows are vey popular). No-Sno boards are always ridden with
snowboard bindings.

You should also add in the cost of protection. Everyone I know wears knee,
wrist and elbow pads and a helmet, a lot wear hip and spine protection, and
at least half wear upper body armour. A lot of us have had a fracture of
break: the scope for injury is much higher on dirt than snow.

Almost all snowboarding skills transfer directly to mountainboarding, except
riding powder. However, don't expect the same level of skill as you have on
a snowboard straight away - jumps I wouldn't think twice about on a
snowboard I won't yet attempt on a mountainboard.

For me the problem is that it's so much like snowboarding that the
differences catch you out - it took me a good few falls to loose the habit
of trying to scrub off speed when I panic. The plus side is that the pain of
falling is a big incentive to keep riding instead of bailling out and I'm
becoming more confident at speed.

Liz

---