Ski Report - Engelberg

Old May 10th 10, 08:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

Default Ski Report - Engelberg

Just had a couple of splendid days skiing in Engelberg, with some of
the best Spring conditions I can remember. Only about half of the
mountain skiable, with less than that officially open, but the whole
Stand side still has lots of snow cover.

As is normal at this time of year, you need to time it right - the
lower runs below Stand started to get glue-like by late morning,
although there were some bits that had been pisted the night before
and stood up better. Off-piste was surprisingly good, even at that
level, although again it started to get unpleasant by around
lunchtime...

which is when the glacier area comes to its best, at ~3000m staying
much colder and barely getting above freezing[1]. Best snow was to be
found away from the normal pisted areas, skier's right from the
glacier drag lift and dropping down some of the slopes above Galtiberg
before cutting back to the draglift. Snow was really, _really_ good,
with about 15cm of fresh on Saturday morning, and still areas of
untracked snow to be found on Sunday.

We stopped by around 2pm on both days, as the run home was virtually
unskiable later than that[2] and we'd done so much skiing that we
really didn't feel the need to continue .

[1] Even at the lower areas it was quite cold for the time of year, so
although lightweight gloves and stuff were indicated, it was still not
too warm for proper outerwear to be at least partially zipped up.
[2] As confirmed by talking to people who didn't stop.

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old May 16th 10, 08:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Mon, 10 May 2010 10:06:00 +0200, Ace wrote:

Just had a couple of splendid days skiing in Engelberg, with some of
the best Spring conditions I can remember. Only about half of the
mountain skiable, with less than that officially open, but the whole
Stand side still has lots of snow cover.

This (followong) weekend not quite so good. Loads of fresh snow, even
down to below 1800m, but sadly the visibility was so poor as to make
you feel stupid for being out in it. Today we planned a 9.30 start,
only to find that they're only allowing pedestrians up the mountain,
with 'no snow sports service today'.

Guess I'll have to stay in and watch the F1 this afternoon instead.

Old May 17th 10, 09:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike[_2_]

"Ace" wrote in message
[...]

Ace, you've certainly taken to Engelberg and looks like a resort I'll have
to visit especially if the late season skiing is always as good as you are
experiencing. Cheers, Mike

Old May 17th 10, 09:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Mon, 17 May 2010 10:29:49 +0100, "Mike"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 10 May 2010 10:06:00 +0200, Ace wrote:

Just had a couple of splendid days skiing in Engelberg, with some of
the best Spring conditions I can remember. Only about half of the
mountain skiable, with less than that officially open, but the whole
Stand side still has lots of snow cover.

This (followong) weekend not quite so good. Loads of fresh snow, even
down to below 1800m, but sadly the visibility was so poor as to make
you feel stupid for being out in it. Today we planned a 9.30 start,
only to find that they're only allowing pedestrians up the mountain,
with 'no snow sports service today'.

Guess I'll have to stay in and watch the F1 this afternoon instead.

Ace, you've certainly taken to Engelberg

Sure have. Bought an apartment here three seasons ago, and it's been
our official (i.e. tax-paying) residence ever since.

and looks like a resort I'll have
to visit especially if the late season skiing is always as good as you are
experiencing.

Apparently last year there was still skiing the second W/E of June,
although we didn't go that late. This year may be as good, but I think
the very low number of visitors this weekend contributed to staying
closed, and I just hope they get a few more folk next week.

Having said that, the cable cars stay open all year round, so there's
nothing to stop you going up with skis and making your own way down,
as long as you're not expecting pistes to be prepared and controlled.
I think that's what our neighbours did in June last year, so we'll see
if it's allowed again this time.