Question from Newbie~

Old September 25th 08, 08:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Question from Newbie~

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie in snowboard. I played it once and attended an
introduction lesson. This is really an interesting sport! I definitely
will play it again~

In the lesson, I learned zipzap slide, then S-shape slide. However, I
found a big difficulty in S-shape slide. It's really hard to take
balance and look at the front when I slide "facing the hill". I felt
many times and made only one time success.

Can anyone here share me the skills or experience?

One more question, where do you guys come from? I am from Hong Kong.

Thanks!
Old October 1st 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Sep 27, 9:41 am, Christian Georg Becker -
berlin.de wrote:
schrieb:

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie in snowboard. I played it once and attended an
introduction lesson. This is really an interesting sport! I definitely
will play it again~

In the lesson, I learned zipzap slide, then S-shape slide. However, I
found a big difficulty in S-shape slide. It's really hard to take
balance and look at the front when I slide "facing the hill". I felt
many times and made only one time success.

Proper feeling for the board/the edges comes with time. Took me old guy
at least two weeks to start boarding without falling every 100m. And you
pay with bruises

Although I found it more difficult to ride on the flat base. Needed on
long and slow slopes, especially in beginner areas. And getting the
board to run again, once you have fallen, is difficult

Can anyone here share me the skills or experience?

One more question, where do you guys come from? I am from Hong Kong.

Germany.

Hong Kong? At least I can go by car/train to a mountain

Krischan

Thanks for your reply.

I do think more practice is needed. I can slide slowly without
falling. But I just can't control myself to go faster, and fall,
haha.
I'm gathering more information for improvement before my next trip.

Yup, I'm from Hong Kong. I played snowboard once in a trip to Canada .
And I plan to play it again in Shenzhen, a city in China near Hong
Kong. I know there is artificial site there~

Old October 1st 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

berlin.de wrote:
schrieb:

[...]

Here in the US, we refer to it as "riding" a snowboard.

I highly recommend taking lessons from a good instructor. You will learn way
faster, and fall a lot less if you learn the right way to initiate turns.

Some basics to think about:

Initiate turns by twisting the board. If you are crossing the slope on your heel
edge, push down with your front foot toes while you continue lifting the back
foot toes. This will release the front edge of the board while the back edge
continues to be engaged. The front of the board will start to slide downhill
more than the back, beginning the turn. You can also twist the front foot in the
direction you want to turn to help this along.

As the turn continues, perhaps when the board is pointed down the hill, start
pushing down on the back toes, which will complete the change onto the new edge.
It is important not to do this too early.

From a toe edge "traverse" do the opposite. Lift the front toes to initiate the
turn.

If you have a board to try this on, you should be able to see the board twist as
you push down or lift up on your front foot toes.

As you get better, you can add movement of your knees to add force to the edging
action, moving the front of your knee towards or away from the snow.

Newbie question - on the flat Jolly_O Snowboarding 16 March 29th 07 02:22 AM
newbie binding question eric zwicky Nordic Skiing 2 February 7th 05 10:32 PM
Newbie Question Nick Cox Backcountry Skiing 5 January 30th 04 01:09 PM
Newbie Question Will Snowboarding 3 December 11th 03 11:58 PM
Newbie question - Please help Mike Alpine Skiing 38 November 17th 03 11:49 PM