Why only ski Europe?

Old March 6th 09, 10:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
TOG@Toil

Default Why only ski Europe?

On 6 Mar, 09:30, "Jérémy" wrote:
(The Older Gentleman) wrote innews:1iw4e9s..poroy63jo65N%totallydeadmailbox@ya hoo.co.uk:

You ski in ski resorts,

Rather than any old bit of mountain you feel like. Well, obviously
some people do this as well. But there's no point in having huge
mountains without pistes and lifts, is there?
Old March 6th 09, 11:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jérémy

"TOG@Toil" wrote in
:

On 6 Mar, 09:30, "Jérémy" wrote:
(The Older Gentleman) wrote
innews:1iw4e9s

:

You ski in ski resorts,

Rather than any old bit of mountain you feel like. Well, obviously
some people do this as well. But there's no point in having huge
mountains without pistes and lifts, is there?

You might be surprised to learn that if you go up any of the mountains
around here, especially at the weekend, you'll find lots of people on top
of them.

As time goes on I get less and less tolerant of the Butlins-esque
atmosphere at ski resorts, especially in the high season. I've done a fair
amount of skiing this winter, but very little of it has been in ski
resorts. Mostly it's been on the same hills where I walk and climb in
summer.

Anyway, the huge mountains don't (fortunately) have pistes and lifts on
them, or hardly any. The big resorts are mostly moyenne montagne, and
(again fortunately, as anyone who's seen the stations in summer will agree)
there's masses of moyenne montagne outside the stations.

--
Jeremy
R1200RT
Old March 6th 09, 11:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ollie Clark

TOG@Toil wrote:
On 6 Mar, 09:30, "Jérémy" wrote:
(The Older Gentleman) wrote innews:1iw4e9s.poroy63jo65N%totallydeadmailbox@yah oo.co.uk:

You ski in ski resorts,

Rather than any old bit of mountain you feel like. Well, obviously
some people do this as well. But there's no point in having huge
mountains without pistes and lifts, is there?

Er, yes. To get away from the crowds using lifts and pistes. And to have
mountains which are untainted by the scars of ski resort development.

Imagine if every mountain was covered in lifts. A horrible thought.
Old March 6th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
TOG@Toil

On 6 Mar, 11:36, "Jérémy" wrote:
"TOG@Toil" wrote :

On 6 Mar, 09:30, "Jérémy" wrote:
(The Older Gentleman) wrote
innews:1iw4e9s

:

[...]

Yes, I'm aware of all this. Never mind.
Old March 6th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 06:15:06 -0800 (PST), "TOG@Toil"
wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of all this. Never mind.

What point, exactly, were you trying to make anyway? It all got a bit
confused somewhere up there.

Old March 6th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of all this. Never mind.

What point, exactly, were you trying to make anyway? It all got a bit
confused somewhere up there.

I wondered why I couldn't follow the thread. Perhaps we tend to discuss
skiing in Europe on this newsgroup because it is called
rec.skiing.resorts.europe.

John
Old March 6th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ian Blake[_4_]

On 06 Mar 2009 11:53:26 GMT, Ollie Clark wrote:

TOG@Toil wrote:

Imagine if every mountain was covered in lifts. A horrible thought.

Yes but there are more lifts we want to see.

I want a Funicular from Pralognan La Vanoise under the Grande Casse and Grande
Motte to Tignes. Minimal environmental impact.

I want a Funicular or other lift along the valley from Pralognan La Vanoise up
to the ski area of Champagny En Vanoise

And the only lift on anyone else's plan from Pralognan La Vanoise to Courchevel
1650.

So here we have a lift network connecting Paradiski, Espace Killy and The 3
Valleys. Although we would need planing restrictions on new buildings and car
parks to preserve Pralognan. The intermediate skiers would be delighted. The
taxi drivers would be even happier at the end of the day.
Old March 9th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eugene Miya

Yes, I'm aware of all this. Never mind.
What point, exactly, were you trying to make anyway? It all got a bit
confused somewhere up there.

In article ,
john elgy wrote:
I wondered why I couldn't follow the thread. Perhaps we tend to discuss
skiing in Europe on this newsgroup because it is called
rec.skiing.resorts.europe.

Well, I would not let the directory path structure constrain you.
As was stated in a recent Disney film about Pirates: "Think of them as
guidelines...."

The thread started as a generalized troll. Then someone threw in some
humanistic bait which made it sound as if mountains' sole purpose was
to have lifts up their sides. A restrained conservationist comment
followed that up.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

Old March 16th 09, 01:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

Dymphna wrote:
The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

But the resorts are so much smaller in the rockies! I'm just back from "the
biggest resort in the Rockies", Lake Louise and it has 10 lifts, how many
lifts has Tigne for example got?

--

Chris *:-)

Old March 16th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"MoonMan" wrote in message
Dymphna wrote:
The Alps are small compared to the Rockies.

But the resorts are so much smaller in the rockies! I'm just back from
"the biggest resort in the Rockies", Lake Louise and it has 10 lifts, how
many lifts has Tigne for example got?

Mmmm, not sure that I'd choose a resort by the number of lifts. In my
limited exposure to North American resorts there seems to be a completely
different arrangement of lifts versus runs compared to Europe. On the whole
each lift in America seems to lead to about 3 or 4 times as many runs.

It's a generalisation, but I'd say that more runs per lift indicates a less
busy resort. If you've got one lift feeding many runs then, inevitably, the
runs will be quieter - I'd say this is a good thing.

--
Paul S

Ski testing in Europe AH European Ski Resorts 2 December 6th 05 09:33 AM
Anything left in Europe?? JP European Ski Resorts 15 May 17th 04 05:59 PM
Skiing in Europe Adam Honey Marketplace 0 May 15th 04 07:30 PM
Moving to Europe JimTheBoarder General 0 December 4th 03 03:29 PM
europe NIC ATKINSON Alpine Skiing 11 December 4th 03 02:31 AM