Ski Boots

Old June 25th 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

Default Ski Boots

Hi to all those pining for the return of snow. In the mean time I have a
question about ski boots

My son skied in a pair of Salomon Ski boots for a 12 week stint this winter
(instructor's course in Fernie) and although the boots are rather scuffed
seemed to be in an okay condition. Unfortunately one of the boots has
cracked at the swivel at the ankle and the manufacturers say that it was a
fault in manufacturing and have refunded some of his money! For some reason
they seemed unwilling to simply supply a new shell (?) so I was wondering
whether anyone knew where we could buy a single shell for a Salomon boot?
Also is it worth it, do boots have a use lifetime beyond which they should
be thrown away - it seems to me that most people develop their skiing and
move up the range or boots age over several 1/2 week per year seasons so are
replaced.

Cheers

Paul Schofield

Old June 26th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 25 Jun, 10:20, "Paul S" morespam@nothanks wrote:
[...]

Hi Paul,

Seems a bit tight of Salomon imho - if there's a manufacturing defect
then I would expect them to send two new boots without an argument.

Regards useful life of boots, if you ski hard for a whole season then
the padding is usually shot at the end of it - most of the instructors
I know replace them every year. I've skied fairly lightly on mine for
3 full seasons and know I should've replaced them a year ago, but new
goggles and 'pants' trumped new boots :-) If I was any good, I'm sure
it would've been the other way around.

So that probably works out at 20 weeks of cruisy skiing = new pair
needed.

Cheers,

Matt

Old June 26th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Matt T" wrote in message

....snipsy...

Hi Paul,

Seems a bit tight of Salomon imho - if there's a manufacturing defect
then I would expect them to send two new boots without an argument.

Regards useful life of boots, if you ski hard for a whole season then
the padding is usually shot at the end of it - most of the instructors
I know replace them every year. I've skied fairly lightly on mine for
3 full seasons and know I should've replaced them a year ago, but new
goggles and 'pants' trumped new boots :-) If I was any good, I'm sure
it would've been the other way around.

So that probably works out at 20 weeks of cruisy skiing = new pair
needed.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt, are you still in Tignes or do you return to blighty for the
'summer'?

We were quite happy with Salomon's offer - considering the boots had been
used for 12 weeks. We were just surprised that they didn't choose to replace
the shell as I would have thought that it would have been the cheaper
option. Maybe that have changed the colour and didn't have any of the old
shells free or simply couldn't be arsed to send a new one across. In any
case we'll try to blag a new shell from somewhere as it seems such a waste
to chuck out 2 perfectly good inners and single shell. Maybe we'll have to
get one of this seasons colour and have an unmatched pair - latest fashion
trend, you saw it here first!

The inners are still in good nick and should be fine for at least the same
amount of skiing again - 12 weeks was a mix of full-on hard stuff, but with
a equal amount of simpler instruction training and technique deconstruction.

Cheers

Paul

Old July 4th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Paul S wrote:

"Matt T" wrote in message

[...]

Mmm.

I have skied in the same boots for 20 years (over 400 days) and they are
still going strong. They are a Nordica top entry boot made in the days
when every one else was moving to those rear entry things (does anyone
still remember them). Initially the padding compressed quite a bit, but
then stopped. The heal and toes are worn down so they no longer step
into the bindings, but the important parts of the sole are OK. I
replaced the insoles and ski with them done up to the tightest setting
and they look pretty tatty, but no one laughs at them. I suspect that to
the non expert they look just like any modern ski boot.

Unfortunately, modern skis boots are all wide fitting so I cannot get
them to be quite as good of a fit. They feel as if my skis are flapping
around on the end of my feet. Does anyone know of a narrow fitting ski boot?

John
Old July 7th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 26 Jun, 14:58, "Paul S" morespam@nothanks wrote:

Hi Matt, are you still in Tignes or do you return to blighty for the
'summer'?

Back in blighty. I'm about 5 minutes from Wimbledon, so I've been
enjoying very accurate weather reports for the last fortnight and can
get the washing in just before the downpour.

Back in Tignes for a week or two next month though for a bit of
boarding and general r&r. Can't wait.