Foot stress while roller skiing

Old July 10th 03, 11:18 AM
Marc Gabriel-Willem

Default Foot stress while roller skiing

Thank you for your respons.
My orthopedist told me last week than I have "flat" foot.
Is there impact for my favourite sport ?
Do I have to use "corrective" stuff ?

Thank you,
Marc

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:26:11 +0000, Gary Jacobson wrote:

Orthosis, or a foot bed insert that is put in side shoe that is designed to
correct balance and function of foot.

But, it is probably true that custom made foot inserts are not necessary for
most people. Foot supports that can be bought at drug stores
should be tried before having custom "corrective" orthotics made.
"Superfeet" is a brand of foot supports available in USA.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

"Marc Gabriel-Willem" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:34:20 +0000, Gary Jacobson wrote:

Orthotics

Hello,
What do you mean by "Orthotics" ?

Thanks,
Marc

Old July 10th 03, 01:17 PM
kayakclc

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I gather that I shouldn't worry about switching to narrow wheels, the
balance will come without too much difficulty and it sounds as if for
skating you prefer the narrow wheels(I don't classic at all on them).

In answer to some of your questions:
-equipment is fine, although wheels a little "egg shaped"
-"over the skis"? yes, but to an expert would say, probably not
good enough
-"fighting for balance"? no, this is a different feeling
-"boots too tight"? no, if anything they are too loose
-"roll over, what' that"? at the very end of my push when my heel
starts to come up and its not making contact with the groove
in the binding, the ski starts to roll to the outside and my boot
twists oddly as there is no lateral stiffness left
Old July 10th 03, 01:50 PM
Serge

Clearly this is alignment problem.

In all other sports requiring balance on one foot (ice speed skating
and inline speedskating that is) there are means to move skate
laterally and angle it if needed for as much as 1" relative to center
of the boot. So do cycling shoes.

Not only that, wedges between skate and boot are used at times to
compensate pronation ( in cycling too - between pedal and shoe).

Skiing is the only sport that does not employ this because snow is
relatively forgiving.

Rollerskiing on the contrary is different in this respect and
rollerski
makers should adress that allowing lateral adjustment of boot on the
frame
or (and) lateral adjustment of wheels using different bushings to move
them
off-center.

I am new to rollerskiing but I would not be able to skate, much less
compete,
without such adjustment on skates.

Pressure on one side of foot is a balance problem and orthoics address
that
too but should be used after lateral adjustment does not provide
relief.
Old July 10th 03, 04:29 PM
Jim Farrell

kayakclc wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone.

-"roll over, what' that"? at the very end of my push when my heel
starts to come up and its not making contact with the groove
in the binding, the ski starts to roll to the outside and my boot
twists oddly as there is no lateral stiffness left

OK, The roll over you describe sounds like a serious technique flaw. I
would recommend competent coaching, for the image i have of what you are
attempting to do might be very far off. I don't think you should be
relying on boot stiffness too much, and not, in any event, should you be
torqueing your boot at the end of you push off. In fact, you should be
able to skate competently on classic boot (how else can you turn the
dang things without a good quick step turn?)

You should push off with a flat foot as much as possible. Meaning equal
weight front to back and equal weight inside and outside. When viewed
from the front, the ski should be perpediclar to your leg whether riding
the glide ski or pushing off. I learned the consequences of pushing
off too much with the toes last ski season. Try to avoid it except for
your follow through.

If I am completely off base, it only demostrates the hazards of coaching
over the web.

Jim

Old July 10th 03, 06:08 PM
kayakclc

Clearly this is alignment problem.

Pressure on one side of foot is a balance problem and orthoics address

Maybe maybe not, this has been very helpful and as I visualize all the
input the more I think my original assesment is correct (worn out
boots). The only balance issues are when I transition between
rollerblades and rollerskis, I find it takes me about 100 yds to catch
up to the blades or let the skis catch up to me depending on which I'm
transitioning to.

Picture standing on the narrow side of a 2x4, that's pretty easy to
"edge". Now stand on the wide side(I have wide wheels), that takes
more effort. Next suppose you only have sox on in order to get that
2x4 on edge, your going to have alot of pressure on the inside/bottom
and the outside/top of the foot whether your in balance or not. That's
the same way you roll a kayak - push down on 1 side and push up on the
other.

I suppose it's possible that I am fundamentaly wrong, in which case
PLEASE let me know.
Old July 10th 03, 06:35 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Marc Gabriel-Willem wrote:

My orthopedist told me last week than I have "flat" foot.
Do I have to use "corrective" stuff ?

You'll have to sign the rsn waiver first. Unfortunately, the keeper of
forms is out in California surfing for the summer.

In the meantime, take a look at sports injury books by Lyle Micheli, Allan
Levy and Running Injury-Free by Joe Ellis, who is a DPM (podiatry).

Gene
Old July 10th 03, 07:29 PM
Gary Jacobson

Jeepers, I could never understand why I shouldn't use my orthotics in my
speedskates and your explanation doesn't set me straight. Indeed it is what
most of the experts have told me. First of all in some skate disciplines
blade offset is necessary for clearance from ice when turning. That doesn't
impact me as I'm not that aggressive and mostly skate outdoors. But anyway,
why wouldn't a skater have a neutral position in the boot that may include
arch support which is a common need? Then deal with offset for the
discipline or stylistic needs.

But I do find it peculiar that orthotics in my cycle shoes don't seem
necessary.

I couldn't imagine tossing my orthotics out and use binding corrections at
the rollerski/binding interface. Orthotics do so many different things, such
as support metatarsals. Don't know how binding offset could provide that
function.

BTW I'd say that wide skate wheels are more "forgiving" (meaning ambiguous
feeling) than narrow ones.

Again, just my two cents based on experience and what I think is common
sense.

And regarding your question on O rings, they'd go between the outside wheel
bearings inside of fork.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

om...

Old July 11th 03, 06:39 PM
Serge

Well, Gary, you are right as a skier, of course.

But custom made speedskates molded to your feet are, in essence,
carbon orthoics. You do not want to use orthoics in these $1000 boots,
it robbs the power and make you higher of the ground - baaad idea.

And you need to shift the frame left and right as your technique
changes and road condition and wether you skate indoor or outdoor too.
Did I make myself clear?

Skis are different and I would use orthoics in ski boots myself too.

Rollerskiing is somewhere between roller skating and skiing and I find
skiing boots clumsy, inefficient and too soft but we have to use them
because that is what Rollerski Federation (and ski makers) indorse for
competition.

By the way ski boots are designed to have natural "tilt" in them to
compensate pronation making wedges unnecessary for average person. But
some people pronate more, those who can't edge the ski no matter what.

Question weight distribution on front foot. Boyle Lee Snowboarding 1 February 17th 04 02:10 PM
Snowboarding or skiing? Joe Ramirez Snowboarding 53 February 11th 04 01:23 PM
foot steering? copek Snowboarding 2 January 31st 04 03:22 AM
measuring foot for ski boots-footbeds? alex General 4 January 27th 04 10:27 PM
measuring foot for ski boots-footbeds? alex Snowboarding 4 January 27th 04 10:27 PM