Workout efficiency of aero's v. traditional rollerskis

Old September 22nd 03, 03:51 PM
Matt Locker

Default Speed of various roller skis?

Bob:

Is the wheel life for the Elpex less than that of the Marwes? How do
the two skis compare on downhills? Stable? Squirelly? Controllable?
The reason I ask is that my current skis (ProSki S2) can be downright
scary on downhills. They move around under me a lot, and directional
stability is "somewhat" lacking. Basically, high speeds can be scary,
and since Vermont has downhills as well as uphills that can be an issue.

Thanks for the feedback,
Matt

Bob Larson wrote:

Matt Locker wrote in message ...

So it sounds to me like the Marwe 610s are slower than the V2 125s,
which are slower than the V2 150s. Do you all feel this is correct?
Where do the Elpex's fit into this? How about the Pro-Skis S2 & S3 skis?

I've been using Elpex F1 and Marwe 100s. The Elpex F1 wheels
are just a little softer and slower than Marwe wheels.
The Elpex F1s are shorter in length and
lighter weight than either Marwe 100 or 610, which makes
them more responsive, more lively.
Marwe 610s or 100s, being longer, are probably more
ski technique specific, but they also feel clunkier i.m.o.

My Elpexes are now my spares, and I use the Marwe
exclusively for training, favoring specificity over
a more enjoyable ride.

Old September 22nd 03, 10:02 PM
Jay Tegeder

I have the Marwe 610s now. I owned the Elpex F-1s at one time which I
sold to Pete Thurmes (He's on Marwe 610s now too). I've tried the
ProSki S2 model before also. That ProSki is significantly faster than
either the Marwe or Elpex. It also has a wider and harder wheel
(tremendous wheel wear). The Marwe does have better wheel wear than
the Elpex because the wheel is harder. That's why the Marwe is
slightly faster than the Elpex. Any of the three skis mentioned work
great here in the midwest though I might be a little nervous on the
ProSki in the Afton Hills. Both the Marwe 610 and Elpex F-1 are easy
to handle on the downhills... As long as you go straight... Though you
can turn them easier than you can the ProSki. Neither the Marwe or
Elpex is offered with a speed reducer. I think Bill Quinn rigged a
brake for his Marwes though. Anyway, if the downhills are a major
concern, something with a speed reducer like a V-2 or ProSki C2 might
be a good idea.

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

Old September 23rd 03, 11:44 AM
Trukweaz

have not tried that. 85 psi for the most part.

Kurt
Old September 23rd 03, 12:18 PM
Matt Locker

Jay:

Thank you very much for the response. This is exactly the information
that I am looking for.
I believe I will be purchasing a set of Marwe's sometime soon.

Matt

Old September 25th 03, 08:12 PM
Nathan Schultz

Hi Matt,

Elpex F1's have 2 options for the wheels. The number 2 wheel is
spongier, but surprisingly faster, more like the Marwe, perhaps a bit
faster. The #3 wheel is harder and a bit slower (can be quite a bit,
depending on how tight you crank the wheels) than the Marwes. I have not
skied with people who use the Pro Skis very much, but they seem pretty
comparable - somewhere in between Marwe and Elpex #3.

100mm wheels are the only way to go if you want to closely imitate snow.
If you have bad roads, the Aeros are OK, but they are just too heavy and
clunky to give a good feel. Whenever I coach someone who has them, I notice
the tendency to undercommit due to the fact that the Aeros seem to grind
axles when pushed to the limits of V2 and V2-A technique.

-Nathan
http://nsavage.com
"Matt Locker" wrote in message
I asked this question with a different subject line, but think it got lost.
Anyone want to weigh in.

----------------------
So it sounds to me like the Marwe 610s are slower than the V2 125s, which
are slower than the V2 150s. Do you all feel this is correct? Where do the
Elpex's fit into this? How about the Pro-Skis S2 & S3 skis?

I'm thinking of replacing my Pro-Skis this winter. I always felt they were
faster than what I wanted and was hoping to find something a bit slower.
Any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks,
Matt

Jay Tegeder wrote:

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message
. ..

I say that Marwe 610's are more like blue wax snow speed

That's exactly how I describe the speed of the Marwe 610s, like a 25F
day on Rex Blue in a perfectly groomed track. The kind of conditions
we all aspire to unless we're the FrontRunner...

Jenx 830's are quite slow, and the 850 are maybe faster than Marwe

610s.

I think the 850 is the model faster than the Marwe 610 and Elpex F-1.
Otherwise, the standard V-2 models with the carbonic wheels are
probably slower.

I never had a hard time getting a workout on Marwe 610's on flats. Pavement
quality impacts speed quite a bit I think with skate roller skis. I never
"out ran" the 610's.

Chipseal really slows down the Marwes.

As the Beecharmer said, we are lucky to have such good rollerski/bike
trails around here in the Twin Towns.

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Old September 26th 03, 06:56 PM
Serge

Default Nathan on Aeros

Regarding speed, John Aalberg says he like to go as fast as possible
on the fastest possible rollerski, so he rides Pro-ski. I'm with him.

Since when pro-ski is the fastest?
They have only one fast model -S3 (wheels-rubber and shaft is too long- 630mm).

No way it is going to be as fast as, say 530mm shaft and PU wheels by any of
half a dozen other manufactures.

Besides it is the wheel that makes rollerski fast or slow and none of the
manufactures except "Eagle", "Millennium" and "Roll'x" make their own wheel.

I am not talking about old syle barrel-shape wide wheels here.