Any way to tell if wax is high fluoro or not?

Old February 14th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Any way to tell if wax is high fluoro or not?

Does anybody know if there's a way to tell if wax is high fluoro or
not? I wonder because I purchased some HF Toko wax on E-Bay and now
I'm wondering what would stop someone from putting in regular
Hydrocarbon wax and passing it off as HF. Also, it seems likely that
sometimes one could separate a wax from it's labeled container, so I
was wondering if there are any characteristics -- smell, granularity,
weight, etc. that might indicate a wax's fluoro content.
Old February 14th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Short of a chemical analysis, wax two skis, one with the eBay purchase,
the other with a store bought version and go ski. My experience on
eBay is that switching is not likely, since it's just too much trouble
all around. Fraud there is more likely in just not receiving your order.

Old February 14th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jay W

On Feb 14, 4:45*pm, wrote:
Short of a chemical analysis, wax two skis, one with the eBay purchase,
the other with a store bought version and go ski. *My experience on
eBay is that switching is not likely, since it's just too much trouble
all around. Fraud there is more likely in just not receiving your order.

When you melt the Swix LF waxes they smell different than hydrocarbon
waxes. I haven't noticed the same thing with Toko HF waxes. I would
think a drop of water would bead up more on an HF waxed ski, but I
don't know if it's easy to actually see. An HF wax is usually softer
(fingernail test) than hydrocarbon wax.

Jay
Old February 15th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Feb 14, 7:08*pm, Jay W wrote:
On Feb 14, 4:45*pm, wrote:

Short of a chemical analysis, wax two skis, one with the eBay purchase,
the other with a store bought version and go ski. *My experience on
eBay is that switching is not likely, since it's just too much trouble
all around. Fraud there is more likely in just not receiving your order.

When you melt the Swix LF waxes they smell different than hydrocarbon
waxes. I haven't noticed the same thing with Toko HF waxes. I would
think a drop of water would bead up more on an HF waxed ski, but I
don't know if it's easy to actually see. An HF wax is usually softer
(fingernail test) than hydrocarbon wax.

Jay

Thank you very much for your reply.
Old February 15th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

What about the sparkles effect when ironing a fluoro wax? I have some
HF FastWax that occasionally irridesces. That makes me wonder---is
that the fluoro component? Is that IT? (Not much...) I thought that
was the cool thing about ironing the pure fluoro. (Haven't hardly used
it.) ----JP
Old February 15th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gunde

When you melt a high fluro wax into your ski base, it acts differently
as a liquid compared to a carbon wax. The fluro has an unusual stringy
texture, while a carbon looks more homogenous as a liquid. I am not
explaining it well, but you will recognize it whe you see it.
Old February 16th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Feb 14, 4:57*pm, wrote:
Does anybody know if there's a way to tell if wax is high fluoro or not?
I'm wondering what would stop someone from putting in regular
Hydrocarbon wax and passing it off as HF.

I'd guess the simplest way to check would be to notice whether the wax
was "strapped" to the cardboard hanger w/ the plastic strip that Toko
uses. Toko uses that plastic case and the cardboard is attached to
the case; the strip goes around both pieces. it If the plastic strip
was still intact, I would believe that it was what it says it is.

I have seen some Toko wax (the 100 gram bars) packed in a ziploc bag,
which simply has a stick-on label - I guess you take that purchase on
faith or buy from your local, reputable shop!

- Bob

Old February 16th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Burning a fluoro wax should release CO2, H20, and pure F2 which has a
distinct smell (and is very toxic, too). Burning a hydrocarbon wax
would release only C02 and H20.

Theoretically, one can burn a piece of a known HC wax, and a piece of
a known HF wax, and see the difference in the smell. Then, burn the
uknown wax and see if it smells like the HF.

Practically, this is not recommended because of the toxicity of F2.

Old February 16th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Method 2.

Wax a surface with a known HC wax, wax the same surface the same way
with a known HF wax, and wax the same surface the same way with wax
X.

Deposit 10 droplets of water of the same size onto patches HC, HF, and
X.

First, see if there is a difference between droplets HC and HF. If
there is, the method kinda works.

Second see if droplets X look more like droplets HC or more like
droplets HF.