Goggles for flat light

Old December 10th 03, 02:56 PM
Gary

Default Goggles for flat light

Hi all,

I've been skiing for several years now, but have never forked out for
a decent pair of goggles for use in flat-light conditions. I
genereally use my sunnys for most conditions, with the goggles
appearing whenever it snows. I have never mastered skiing in flat
light though, and its irritating the hell out of me.

Would any of you be so kind as to recommend suitable goggles/lenses to
help increase contrast for skiing in flat light? I'm not really
interested in any "general purpose" goggles. I kind of have an idea
that purple/red lenses are the way to go, but any personal experience
anyone has would be greatly appreciated as there are sooooo many
goggles the manufacturers blag are great, but you have to fork out to
test.

Cheers!

Old December 10th 03, 04:11 PM
lal_truckee

Gary wrote:

Hi all,

I've been skiing for several years now, but have never forked out for
a decent pair of goggles for use in flat-light conditions. I
genereally use my sunnys for most conditions, with the goggles
appearing whenever it snows. I have never mastered skiing in flat
light though, and its irritating the hell out of me.

Would any of you be so kind as to recommend suitable goggles/lenses to
help increase contrast for skiing in flat light? I'm not really
interested in any "general purpose" goggles. I kind of have an idea
that purple/red lenses are the way to go, but any personal experience
anyone has would be greatly appreciated as there are sooooo many
goggles the manufacturers blag are great, but you have to fork out to
test.

In spite of extensive advertisements, goggles are pretty basic. They
have to shield the eyes from UV (all goggles sold in the US block UV)
shield the eyes from wind and powder (which means seal well around
perimeter,) and they have to not fog up (which means double lens at
minimum, and maybe foam shielded vents.)

Secondly, if they are intended for use in flat light, they have to
enhance contrast. Since any snow shadowing there is creates bluish
shadows (by the nature of snow reflection), a goggle that blocks blue
while passing the rest of the spectrum will enhance the minimal snow
shadows. So the goggle lens should look reddish: or gold, pink, amber,
yellow, whatever; as long as it blocks blue, and passes the other end of
the spectrum. The more non-blue spectrum passed the brighter the view,
important in dark overcast conditions, so look for blue blocking, high
pass bright lenses.

All the major brands (I'm tempted to say every brand there is, but don't
know for certain) make numerous such goggles. So buy by fit (for a tight
seal,) with double lens (control fogging,) with bright reddish/amberish
color (enhance blue shadows but still bright view,) with the BEST PRICE.

If you have money to throw away, read the ads and get ripped off with
the latest and greatest style promoting fully winged with swoping
plastic curls around the nose section bombadier goggles and the special
ultra-unique nifty new color. During your peak earning years you can get
a full suite of race, sun, and wind goggles; goggles with fans, vents,
ear flaps, etc.

Old December 10th 03, 04:17 PM
Walt

Gary wrote:

I've been skiing for several years now, but have never forked out for
a decent pair of goggles for use in flat-light conditions....
there are sooooo many
goggles the manufacturers blag are great, but you have to fork out to
test.

Do you? When I was shopping for flat light goggles last season, I'd go
to the slopeside shop and explain what I was looking for and ask if I
could take the goggles outside to look at the snow. Nobody said no.
Sure, I didn't get to ski with them, but I felt like I got a pretty
good demo for free.

Lal has some good comments on what to look for, so I won't repeat him.

One tip for flat light is to ski near the sides of the trails instead of
in the middle. If you're somewhat near the trees they'll block the
light from one side and help create some shadows on the snow surface.
Or you can wait until it gets dark and they turn the lights on.

--
//-Walt
//
Old December 10th 03, 05:06 PM
Mary Malmros

I like a rose-tinted goggle -- actually they work pretty well for
most conditions short of very bright light. The trick, though, is
to go shopping on a flat-light day at a shop that's got some snow
outside, try different goggles on, and see what you like best. And
don't forget to take your helmet if you wear one.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros
Old December 10th 03, 11:24 PM
pigo

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I've been skiing for several years now, but have never forked out for
a decent pair of goggles for use in flat-light conditions. I
genereally use my sunnys for most conditions, with the goggles
appearing whenever it snows. I have never mastered skiing in flat
light though, and its irritating the hell out of me.

Would any of you be so kind as to recommend suitable goggles/lenses to
help increase contrast for skiing in flat light? I'm not really
interested in any "general purpose" goggles. I kind of have an idea
that purple/red lenses are the way to go, but any personal experience
anyone has would be greatly appreciated as there are sooooo many
goggles the manufacturers blag are great, but you have to fork out to
test.

I like a light amber. For years I skied in the Bolle Irex 100. Good in sun, not
bad when it got flat. Now I have some Smith something or others. Same light
amber lense. I don't like the pink or yellow. When the sun comes out you go
blind.

pigo

Old December 15th 03, 02:18 PM
Gary

Cheers for all the comments/tips chaps (and chapesses?). I think I may
take your advice and go try some goggles on when I'm out at the resort
on a flat-light day. I had planned to pick some up before I went, but
I think that makes most sense.

At least I have a clue what sort of lenses I'm looking for now!

Aero 125s for light people revyakin Nordic Skiing 8 May 1st 04 08:03 PM
Goggles Rah Snowboarding 3 December 3rd 03 04:14 PM
Flat Light Goggles Daeus European Ski Resorts 38 November 24th 03 12:18 PM
Lense Colour for Goggles? John Snowboarding 19 October 25th 03 01:27 AM