getting used to new boots

Old December 16th 04, 07:08 PM
Mary Malmros

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I blame my shoe (ice skate, ski boot, etc) troubles on my martial arts
history. I have spent a *lot* of time barefoot. My understanding is that if
you don't wear shoes, your feet will broaden.

You can also pick up some considerable calluses. I've got some
MA-derived calluses that I work on paring down -- on the inside edge of
my big toe, for example. That callus gets bigger if I don't stay on it,
and will cause problems with footwear.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old December 16th 04, 08:13 PM
klaus

lal_truckee wrote:
In any case the topic is recreational skiers - IMO their boots should
never hurt enough to require unbuckling - not even on extended breaks
like lunch - you put them on in the morning, you take them off when
you're done for the day - they stay on during the day. If unbuckling
relieves pain, get back to the shop that sold them and demand adjustments.

Hey, if you say so. Did you know the earth is flat? I just learned
that today.

-klaus

Old December 16th 04, 08:27 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-16, lal_truckee penned:

In any case the topic is recreational skiers - IMO their boots should never
hurt enough to require unbuckling - not even on extended breaks like lunch -
you put them on in the morning, you take them off when you're done for the
day - they stay on during the day. If unbuckling relieves pain, get back to
the shop that sold them and demand adjustments.

I've never had that experience. I agree that it would be wonderful. I do
suspect that, when circulation issues are involved, any boot that's tight
enough to direct a ski is tight enough to constrict circulation just a bit.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 16th 04, 08:27 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-16, Mary Malmros penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I blame my shoe (ice skate, ski boot, etc) troubles on my martial arts
history. I have spent a *lot* of time barefoot. My understanding is that
if you don't wear shoes, your feet will broaden.

You can also pick up some considerable calluses. I've got some MA-derived
calluses that I work on paring down -- on the inside edge of my big toe, for
example. That callus gets bigger if I don't stay on it, and will cause
problems with footwear.

I haven't been very active in MA for a while, so my feet don't have the
calluses they once did. I don't remember them causing trouble with footwear,
even though at one point they were thick enough that a screw got stuck in my
foot, and it didn't hurt.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 16th 04, 09:06 PM
lal_truckee

klaus wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

In any case the topic is recreational skiers - IMO their boots should
never hurt enough to require unbuckling - not even on extended breaks
like lunch - you put them on in the morning, you take them off when
you're done for the day - they stay on during the day. If unbuckling
relieves pain, get back to the shop that sold them and demand adjustments.

Hey, if you say so. Did you know the earth is flat? I just learned
that today.

Dam. And now somebody will probably let the cat out of the bag about
Santa Claus being real and ... oops - I withdraw that. No Santa Claus.
Forget what I said.

Old December 16th 04, 09:56 PM
Dave M

lal_truckee wrote:

klaus wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

In any case the topic is recreational skiers - IMO their boots
should never hurt enough to require unbuckling - not even on
extended breaks like lunch - you put them on in the morning, you
take them off when you're done for the day - they stay on during the
day. If unbuckling relieves pain, get back to the shop that sold
them and demand adjustments.

Hey, if you say so. Did you know the earth is flat? I just learned
that today.

That news will make my ski season less enjoyable. I guess that I will
have to take up the flat-land-boarding after all.

Dam. And now somebody will probably let the cat out of the bag about
Santa Claus being real and ... oops - I withdraw that. No Santa Claus.
Forget what I said.

Does he ski Voelkls? Is it _THAT_ nonexistent conspiracy again?

Dave M.

Old December 16th 04, 11:10 PM
David Harris

lal_truckee wrote in
:

On 2004-12-16, DZN penned:

The response issue also makes new boots feel awkward - you may feel as
if you've forgotten how to ski. Be more aggressive - i.e. be as quick
as your boots - they will respond to any twitch, so make the twitches
deliberately, not accidentally. In short order you will be back on top
of things and a better skier.

I like this thinking. I remember moving to better skis that I could push
them harder and they would react faster. Faster than I thought possible -
each time you pushed them harder they would do things better and better -
the sort of things that only "really good" skiers could do.

I don't think boots will have quite the same amount of effect, but push
them hard, try things you think you can't quite do, and see what happens.

Good luck!

dh

Old December 16th 04, 11:50 PM
VtSkier

David Harris wrote:
lal_truckee wrote in
:

On 2004-12-16, DZN penned:

The response issue also makes new boots feel awkward - you may feel as
if you've forgotten how to ski. Be more aggressive - i.e. be as quick
as your boots - they will respond to any twitch, so make the twitches
deliberately, not accidentally. In short order you will be back on top
of things and a better skier.

I like this thinking. I remember moving to better skis that I could push
them harder and they would react faster. Faster than I thought possible -
each time you pushed them harder they would do things better and better -
the sort of things that only "really good" skiers could do.

I don't think boots will have quite the same amount of effect, but push
them hard, try things you think you can't quite do, and see what happens.

Oh, I think so. Try this. Go rent a pair of skis AND boots. Go skiing.
Now the next day, bring your own boots in and get them adjusted to the
rental skis you've been using. Go skiing. Observe the difference.
VtSkier

Good luck!

dh

Old December 17th 04, 12:56 AM
Mary Malmros

klaus wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

In any case the topic is recreational skiers - IMO their boots should
never hurt enough to require unbuckling - not even on extended breaks
like lunch - you put them on in the morning, you take them off when
you're done for the day - they stay on during the day. If unbuckling
relieves pain, get back to the shop that sold them and demand adjustments.

Hey, if you say so. Did you know the earth is flat? I just learned
that today.

Oh, c'mon, klaus, the horse is dead. "Hurt enough to require
unbuckling" depends on doing the talking. Your "hurt" probably isn't my
"hurt"; let's just leave it at that, okay?

Old December 17th 04, 02:43 AM
Janet

lal_truckee wrote:

In any case the topic is recreational skiers - IMO their boots should
never hurt enough to require unbuckling - not even on extended breaks
like lunch - you put them on in the morning, you take them off when
you're done for the day - they stay on during the day. If unbuckling
relieves pain, get back to the shop that sold them and demand adjustments.

Well, maybe you're comfortable walking around in ski boots that are
completely buckeled up, but a lot of people (including me) are not. It
has nothing to do with fit, pain, etc. I'm just not comfortable walking
in ski boots or standing in line so I will unbuckle when I go inside and
when I have to stand in a long lift line. I'm especially uncomfortable
walking up/down stairs in buckled up ski boots - I feel like
frankenstien... And in the east, most ski areas put the bathrooms
downstairs!

Janet