Minneapolis Roller Ski Rally

Old September 10th 03, 03:37 AM
Serge

Default Minneapolis Roller Ski Rally

I was thinking of going to Duluth with my skate team. May be next year.
Can I also participate in rollerski race? How far is it from Duluth?
Old September 10th 03, 12:42 PM
John O'Connell

I'm pretty sure the in-line Marathon is on Saturday and the Roller Ski Rally
is Sunday. Minneapolis is about 2.5 hours south of Duluth. This is the first
year for the Rally but I assume if they get a good turnout it will continue.

John OC
m...

Old September 11th 03, 05:00 AM
Nathan Schultz

I just noticed that the City of Lakes Loppet is scheduled for the same
day as the Pepsi Challenge. That's a bummer of a scheduling mistake...
Anyone know why they put these two big events on the same day?

-Nathan
http://nsavage.com

"John O'Connell" wrote in message
et...
This Sunday the City Of Lakes Loppet organization is sponsoring a Roller

Ski
Rally in Minneapolis. You can choose a 5, 10, 20 or 40km route. Proceed

from
the $15 registration fee will go towards funding the City of Lakes Nordic
Ski Foundation.

For more information http://www.cityoflakesloppet.com/new...Rally/2003.PDF.

It is a busy weekend in the Upper Midwest. The 40 mile Fat Tire Mountain
Bike Race in Cable, WI ( some of this is run on the Birkie Trail) and the
North Shore In-Line Skate Marathon in Duluth are going on. Lots of skiers
will be racing in these events.

John OC

Old September 11th 03, 11:30 AM
Jay Tegeder

I think the City of Lakes Loppet is going to do what they want to do.
In their first year last season, they had 700 skiers (including me).
We were in the middle of a terrible snow season and the original
course had to be altered to skiing on two lakes only. The people at
the Mora Minnesota Vasaloppet are experts in turning lake ice into a
skiable surface (as I think you know). They brought their grooming
equipment to Minneapolis and set up the course. The rest is history.
Everyone around here is surprised that no one ever thought of a race
like this right in the middle of the Twin Cities. It was supposed to
be a marathon distance event last year and will be this season. It was
shortened to three laps of Lake of the Isles and Lake Calhoun. I
wouldn't be surprised if the COLL is on the American Marathon Series
in the future. Anyway, hats off to the Mayor of Minneapolis, R T
Rybak. He, along wiht a few others like John Munger, Piotr Bednarski,
Kate Ellis and more, are responsible for bringing the event to
Minneapolis. Rybak had skied the American Birkebeiner in 2002 and
immediately thought that Minneapolis should have an xc ski event on
that kind of scale. All I can say is that the race was fantastic.
Rybak's next goal is to create a mountain bike loop circling
Minneapolis. I live in Saint Paul so I didn't vote for Rybak. As an
aside, I'm 180 degrees apart from Rybak on the political scale.
However, if I lived in Minneapolis, I'd vote for him in a split
second... Is that compromising my principles? Yeah, I guess it is...

Jay Tegeder
"I faders spar for framtids segrar"

Old September 11th 03, 12:38 PM
Dave Kiely

I think it has to do with National Masters being in Marquette this year.
The Pepsi would have conflicted with the opening weekend of the Masters and
I guess a ASMS race can not do that so the Pepsi foilks agreed to move it
back two weeks for this year. Just happens to be the sceduled date of the
COLL. Seems like even though we have had poor snow winters in the midwest
the past several years (at least outside the UP), the race calendar is
getting tighter. Too many choices of what look like really good races.

Dave

Old September 12th 03, 05:31 PM
Greg Fangel

"Dave Kiely" wrote in message
.......race schedule is getting tighter. Too many choices of what

look like really good races.

Dave

Here's another new Midwest race to entice you. It's the weekend before
the Birkie. It will be a good tune up for the hills at the Birkie.

25k Classical/Freestyle and 10k Classical only.

North Shore Mountain Challenge..Tofte, MN....1 1/2 hours northeast of
Duluth, MN.

200km of xc ski trails in the area.

http://www.sugarbushtrail.org/nschallenge.htm

Greg Fangel