Downhill Racer

Old February 12th 06, 05:19 AM

Default Downhill Racer

Today at my grandson's birthday party, the Olympics were running on the TV
but it was muted. Suddenly, I noticed Robert Redford and clips from the
movie 'Downhill Racer' and then the screen flashed on Bodie. Everyone was
talking at the same time, I couldn' t get the remote, and I don't know what
Bodie said, nor what was said about Redford's movie, which I enjoyed
immensely 35 years ago. Does anyone have any notes on Bodie in today's show?
Redford was smiling, so it couldn't have been too bad!
Phil

Old February 14th 06, 03:05 AM

Thank you. Hard to believe that movie lost money; maybe over the short
haul...

"John Flaherty" wrote in message
oups.com...
They were comparing Bode to Redford's character in the movie. Redford
talked about making the movie and how hard it was to film. Redford
seemed to say he was like a Bode - in liking to do things his own way.
The movie was made for $3 million bucks. the studio didn't want to make
the movie. it wasn't well received when it came out and was a loser for
the studio. regardless, it was a big movie for Redford .....this is
what was said during the piece. Oh, and Redford is a big fan of not
Bode, but that other top US downhiller, i forget this name

Old February 14th 06, 05:22 PM

Chuck wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck wrote:

Doing things your own way is one thing. Staying out drinking until
midnight the night before you race and sleeping through pre-race
inspections is another.

How on earth did having a couple of beers the evening before and
skipping inspection turn into "[s]taying out drinking until midnight

Have you actually *read* the article?

Yup. I was considering the source, too. Daily News, huh? Bastion of
journalistic integrity. Where'd they get that 9:45 time -- were they in
his trailer with you? And what's your objection to someone getting up
at 9:45, anyway? It's not like they hadn't had plenty of chances to
look at the course already -- it's their call, not yours.

I hope he does well in today's combined.

Suuure you do. Me, I think he's gonna do just fine despite your "good
wishes".

I want to see an American win
and he's probably our best hope. But if he's going to take the combined
as seriously as he did the DH, he will likely not make the podium.
Especially when you consider he's competing in a field of world class
athletes that *are* exercising the level of discipline demanded by
Olympic competition.

Chuck, given that you've got such an amazing ability to determine what's
going on in other people's heads -- people you've never met and whom you
know only from what's reported about them in tabloids -- why don't you
turn your awesome abilities towards a project whose scope is more worthy
of your talents, like world peace or something? You're wasted on a
drunken bum like Bode Miller, really.

Old February 14th 06, 07:19 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck wrote:

[...]

Never said I knew what was going on in his head. Where do you get all
the straw for these strawman argmuments anyway? Do you own a horse farm
or something?

Never said he as a drunken bum either. More straw. If I did would you
please quote it for me? If not quit putting words in my mouth. All I
said is according to the eyewitnesses who *are* there (reuters reporter
cited in the article) he as out drinking till midnight the night before
a race. Were you there? Can you authoritatively challenge an eyewitness?
Didn't think so. He certainly did not exercise the level of discipline
that an Olympic athlete who seriously expects to win a race should have.

Mary, that you worship the ground this guy walks on is apparent. You get
hyper defensive every time his name is mentioned. That's your choice. My
choice is to point out the obvious.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Old February 14th 06, 09:58 PM

Chuck wrote:
*are* exercising the level of discipline demanded by
Olympic competition.

Are you under the impression that the Olympics are more demanding than
the World Cup?

What the Olympics are, is more lucrative to the non-Alpine country
athletes - the Alpine country athletes do just fine economically without
Olympic wins, but the Mercans and Canucks, etc need an Olympic win
before the jokers Mercans call sports journalists will even deign to
notice them, once every four years.

P.S. Bode's attitude has been stikingly consistent since before he
dominated the Eastern Regionals on K2 Fours.

Old February 15th 06, 01:20 AM

Chuck wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Chuck wrote:

[...]

I got them from the following statements:

"I'm not really talking about his "ability as a skier". I am talking
about his lack of discipline and the effect it has had on his skiing
this year."

"IMHO if he wants to win any Olympic gold he needs to get his priorities
straight."

"But if he's going to take the combined
as seriously as he did the DH, he will likely not make the podium."

You make statements about "lack of discipline", "priorities", and
"tak[ing] the combined as seriously as he did the DH" -- all statements
about Bode Miller's state of mind or attitudes. Ergo, you _did_ say you
knew what was going on in his head.

Never said he as a drunken bum either. More straw. If I did would you
please quote it for me? If not quit putting words in my mouth. All I
said is according to the eyewitnesses who *are* there (reuters reporter
cited in the article) he as out drinking till midnight the night before
a race. Were you there? Can you authoritatively challenge an eyewitness?
Didn't think so. He certainly did not exercise the level of discipline
that an Olympic athlete who seriously expects to win a race should have.

Chuck, perhaps what you'd need in the way of "discipline" to do well as
a ski racer, or something of the nature, would mean retiring to a
solitary bed at 8 PM every night and abstaining from alcohol from
October through March. Clearly, though, that's not what every World Cup
racer needs. If you bothered to notice any of the other
racers...well...never mind. If Bode's "lack of discipline", or the
lumps in his mattress, or the bad clam that he ate last night, or the
wrong wax, or whatever costs him a race, it's no skin off your butt.
Let the guy who pays the piper call the tune, why don't you?

Mary, that you worship the ground this guy walks on is apparent.

Chuck, that you know very little about ski racing, the World Cup, or
Bode Miller's record is apparent. But I suppose this is all beside the
point, since Bode Miller already blew his "best chance" to medal in
these Olympics. The downhill _is_ his best event, after all -- remember?

Old February 15th 06, 08:43 AM

In article ,
Chuck wrote:
Never said he as a drunken bum either. More straw. If I did would you
please quote it for me? If not quit putting words in my mouth. All I

She doesn't comprehend that if one doesn't say anything about skiing
drunk on camera then CBS can't air video of one saying anything about
skiing drunk. Appearently she believes skillful editing can manufacture
chimerical dialogue. Her magical thinking solves any issues she might
encounter reconciling belief with reality. Have fun.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 15th 06, 12:25 PM

Jeff Davis wrote:
In article ,
Chuck wrote:

Never said he as a drunken bum either. More straw. If I did would you
please quote it for me? If not quit putting words in my mouth. All I

She doesn't comprehend that if one doesn't say anything about skiing
drunk on camera then CBS can't air video of one saying anything about
skiing drunk.

Provide a reference to a video in which Bode Miller said, "I skied
drunk." Do it. I've already provided _you_ with a reference in which
Miller clarified that he was _not_ talking about speaking drunk. Why do
you ignore that?

Appearently she believes skillful editing can manufacture
chimerical dialogue. Her magical thinking solves any issues she might
encounter reconciling belief with reality. Have fun.

Apparently you believe that you words mean only what _you_ intend them
to mean, and no one else's meaning has any relevance. Your magical
thinking allows you to disregard evidence to the contrary that present
challenges reconciling your erroneous belief with reality. Have fun!

Old February 15th 06, 02:37 PM

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
Provide a reference to a video in which Bode Miller said, "I skied drunk."
Do it. I've already provided _you_ with a reference in which Miller
clarified that he was _not_ talking about speaking drunk. Why do you
ignore that?

I heard an interview with him saying he raced with a hang over, I think that
is the same interview that
Jeff is speaking about. Miller has made some statements during interviews
that doesn't make him look
so good, but I have my own opinion concerning that.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 15th 06, 08:26 PM

lal_truckee wrote:
Chuck wrote:
*are* exercising the level of discipline demanded by
Olympic competition.

Are you under the impression that the Olympics are more demanding than
the World Cup?

Not more demanding, but more important to Bode. That's my read on his
statement that he wasn't racing (in Garmisch I think) in order to "focus
on the Olympics".