GS Ski Length Question

Old August 5th 03, 11:46 PM
ENORD

Default GS Ski Length Question

Hi all!

Was a high school racer that skied on 195s. I'm thinking about getting back
into it--through the Masters events and had a question ref ski length (I know a
recurring question here) but specifically in the GS racing category.

I ski 181s in the backcountry and have yet to ski on shaped skis. I'm 5'9" and
170 pounds. Ski aggressive but in control. I will be trying out the skis in
the winter but wanted to start get a feel for what lengths I should begin the
comparisons with. I noticed the Atomic GS line goes by 10 cms--170s or 180s
are probably close. Are the 170s too short even for today's shaped skis? With
my height and weight are the 180s more of a starting point. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Erik
Old August 6th 03, 12:02 AM
Aaron Daniel

I'd recommend you start demoing GS skis in the 170 length or the minimum
length allowed by USSA this season. I don't know if USSA has a minimum GS
length or not. The FIS regulates a minimum sidecut radius in GS. I don't if
USSA enforces that in Masters divisions or not. Somebody else here may know
or you can check the regulations.

Aar

Old August 6th 03, 11:18 AM
ClifMk

There's no minimum length or side cut radius in USSA Masters racing. I'm about
the same size as you and I race GS on 178's
Old August 6th 03, 06:35 PM
Marty

"ENORD" wrote in message

snip..

I'm 5'9" and 170 pounds.

Me too. For GS racing, I'm on Fischer's GS in a 178.

For rules, see:
http://www.ussa.org/PublishingFolder...sequipment.pdf
--
Marty Pietruszka