What's in your flask?

Old February 1st 05, 09:29 PM
Rick Wilson

John Richardson wrote:
So there I was, Googling the rec.skiing.snowboard archives for some
mogul-riding advice when I wondered if flask contents had been discussed in
this group before. Lots of good advice/techniques/suggestions about moguls.
Some of you guys have been providing good input for a loooooooooong time.
Not very forthcoming with flask information, though.

We've got our annual group trip to Snowshoe coming up in about a week. If
you see a bunch of Georgia boys dressed in Bulldawg wear, I'm with them.
I'm not one of them, but I'm with them. Anyway, a couple of years ago
someone in our group brought a bottle of Apple Brandy, which was excellent
for a short warm-me-up on the lift. No one in the group will fess up to
having brought it, though. I bought a bottle of some kind of Apple Brandy
from a Virginia ABC store the following year and it was the nastiest stuff
I'd bought since buying those bottles of cheap wine with names like "Night
Moves" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" down in Panama City, FL. When I was
fourteen.

We don't drink much on the mountain. A 6 ounce flask is enough to share
with the chair and last the entire day. It's more of a ritual thing. A
taste of the good life. A celebration of the day and the situation.
Something to toast the excellent companionship and the weather. Riding up
the lift after a fun ride down. Most days I'm not in the mood for something
sweet like Schnapps. It's too thick. Whiskey's good, but too strong for all
day. Tequila is out for personal, dancing-in-public, reasons. I'm looking
for something warming, tasty, and fairly harmless. 60 to 70 proof.
Something that doesn't require a chaser.

I was making Apple Martinis at a friend's house with Berentzen Applekorn
(certified Kosher by the Rabbi of Bremen, Germany!) and vodka, when my host
said this would make a good substitute. He's right. I'm working now to
fine-tune the proportions. 1:1 vodka to applekorn or 3:2 is about right.

Just so I don't seem snooty, I'll be calling it Homemade Apple Brandy.

Any other suggestions?

John

I go for either Knob Creek Bourbon or Vox Vodka. However, it ain't for
gulping down. Being drunk on the slopes is a bad idea no matter how you
look at it. A sip here or there to warm up the innards can't hurt though...

Rick
Old February 2nd 05, 02:18 AM
John Richardson

"Dmitry" wrote in message

"John Richardson" wrote

So there I was, Googling the rec.skiing.snowboard archives for some
mogul-riding advice when I wondered if flask contents had been discussed
in this group before.

sweet like Schnapps. It's too thick. Whiskey's good, but too strong for
all day. Tequila is out for personal, dancing-in-public, reasons. I'm
looking for something warming, tasty, and fairly harmless. 60 to 70
proof. Something that doesn't require a chaser.

Jagermeister (www.jager.com). Not too sweet, not too hard - perfect
mountain refresher.

I've never been a Jager fan. I had worse stuff when I was stationed in
Germany, but not much. It's too heavy for me.

Old February 2nd 05, 02:29 AM
John Richardson

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
While pondering the Universe, (John Richardson)
wrote :

Yow. Looks like a watered-down version of the hunch punch we used to
serve our young lady-friends. I'm going to save this for summer. It
will be a good canoeing drink.

never underestimate the tranya, it will come back to bite you Two
of our football crew regularly do 'tranya topoffs' and of course you
can up the vodka to whatever you like as well as use the 100 proof. The
key for me though is the lack of sugar, and unlike beer, no bloat. As
well there are many flavors of crystal light to mix and match.

I don't doubt it. It's like strong beer. I'd have to pack a bigger flask,
but I've got a nice collapsible one that would fit.

As for a trip.. we use the standard football gatorade dispenser. Makes
mixing way easy... just dump everything in and shake.

And if you match the Crystal to the Gatorade, you can sneak it into dry
venues. I used to bottle some of my homebrews in 1-liter Mtn Dew bottles
and carry them into dirt tracks and ball games.

One of my buddies in the Army, who was from way up north in MN, made a

summer drink with a 12 pack of beer, a fifth of dark rum, and two large
cans of frozen lemonade. Much stronger than the recipe above, but a
surprisingly refreshing drink.

That is one of the oddest combos I've heard yet. But I'll give it
a try!

I had some on a canoe trip this summer. First batch I've made since the
early '90s. Excellent stuff. Go with Bud or Miller or something like that
for the beer.