What's in your flask?

Old February 1st 05, 12:51 AM
John Richardson

Default What's in your flask?

So there I was, Googling the rec.skiing.snowboard archives for some
mogul-riding advice when I wondered if flask contents had been discussed in
this group before. Lots of good advice/techniques/suggestions about moguls.
Some of you guys have been providing good input for a loooooooooong time.
Not very forthcoming with flask information, though.

We've got our annual group trip to Snowshoe coming up in about a week. If
you see a bunch of Georgia boys dressed in Bulldawg wear, I'm with them.
I'm not one of them, but I'm with them. Anyway, a couple of years ago
someone in our group brought a bottle of Apple Brandy, which was excellent
for a short warm-me-up on the lift. No one in the group will fess up to
having brought it, though. I bought a bottle of some kind of Apple Brandy
from a Virginia ABC store the following year and it was the nastiest stuff
I'd bought since buying those bottles of cheap wine with names like "Night
Moves" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" down in Panama City, FL. When I was
fourteen.

We don't drink much on the mountain. A 6 ounce flask is enough to share
with the chair and last the entire day. It's more of a ritual thing. A
taste of the good life. A celebration of the day and the situation.
Something to toast the excellent companionship and the weather. Riding up
the lift after a fun ride down. Most days I'm not in the mood for something
sweet like Schnapps. It's too thick. Whiskey's good, but too strong for all
day. Tequila is out for personal, dancing-in-public, reasons. I'm looking
for something warming, tasty, and fairly harmless. 60 to 70 proof.
Something that doesn't require a chaser.

I was making Apple Martinis at a friend's house with Berentzen Applekorn
(certified Kosher by the Rabbi of Bremen, Germany!) and vodka, when my host
said this would make a good substitute. He's right. I'm working now to
fine-tune the proportions. 1:1 vodka to applekorn or 3:2 is about right.

Just so I don't seem snooty, I'll be calling it Homemade Apple Brandy.

Any other suggestions?

John

Old February 1st 05, 02:13 AM
Dmitry

"John Richardson" wrote

So there I was, Googling the rec.skiing.snowboard archives for some mogul-riding advice when I wondered if flask contents had been
discussed in this group before.

sweet like Schnapps. It's too thick. Whiskey's good, but too strong for all day. Tequila is out for personal, dancing-in-public,
reasons. I'm looking for something warming, tasty, and fairly harmless. 60 to 70 proof. Something that doesn't require a chaser.

Jagermeister (www.jager.com). Not too sweet, not too hard - perfect
mountain refresher.

Imagine a surprise of my local buddy, when he went boarding with
a gang of my friends who are all Russians. Time for a lunch break,
we gather at the base of lift six. _Everyone_ just pulls out their
flasks and starts cheering and gulping. He was hysterical.

I don't do it when I'm doing something serious though. Or if the
air is dry. Dehydration is getting pretty bad even with the camelback
if you consume any alcohol (or coffee).

Old February 1st 05, 02:18 AM
Carl Price

In article ,
"John Richardson" wrote:

[...]

I've always been partial to Jagermeister. Since it's best served ice
cold, it's ok in an outside pocket.

--
Take out the "REMOVE" in the return address to reply
Old February 1st 05, 03:29 AM
monk

I agree with everyone else. My choices are most
definitely......jagermaister, and goldschlager......First choice Jager,
second....Goldschlager.

Good Luck,

Monk

Old February 1st 05, 03:56 AM
Dmitry

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote

But first the tranya, I hope you relish it as much as I:

1 2.5 gallon Poland Springs water, or similar with the pour spout
1 1.75L Gordons Vodka (or similar)
2 tins Raspberry & 1 tin Peach/Orange or similar Crystal light

Why is this better than beer in terms of hydration?

I don't know... This doesn't sound right to me. I prefer
to have water and vodka separately - both become much more
satisfying.

Old February 1st 05, 09:20 AM
John Richardson

"Mike M. Miskulin" wrote in message
While pondering the Universe, (Dmitry) wrote
:

I don't do it when I'm doing something serious though. Or if the
air is dry. Dehydration is getting pretty bad even with the camelback
if you consume any alcohol (or coffee).

Which is why you should switch to Tranya Tranya has pretty much
replaced beer at our Giants tailgates (and believe me we've needed
something to drink lately). Formulated by the Intergalactic Tranya
Institute to minimize hangovers, maximize hydration while still
providing a buzz.

But first the tranya, I hope you relish it as much as I:

1 2.5 gallon Poland Springs water, or similar with the pour spout
1 1.75L Gordons Vodka (or similar)
2 tins Raspberry & 1 tin Peach/Orange or similar Crystal light

makes about 30 16oz cups w/ ice

Remove 1.75L of water from the Poland Springs container so as to
be able to add the 1.75L of vodka. Add Crystal light, reseal
spout. Shake to mix.

Crystal light has no sugar, and as you can see this is mostly
water. However, it comes in like a strong beer at about 7.5%.
You can adjust it to whatever strength you like, all Raspberry
will cover the extra vodka pretty well. Its meant more as a
beer subsitute than shot replacement, but if you just want a little
something it should do ok at double strength.

Yow. Looks like a watered-down version of the hunch punch we used to serve
our young lady-friends. I'm going to save this for summer. It will be a
good canoeing drink.

One of my buddies in the Army, who was from way up north in MN, made a
summer drink with a 12 pack of beer, a fifth of dark rum, and two large cans
of frozen lemonade. Much stronger than the recipe above, but a surprisingly
refreshing drink.

John

Old February 1st 05, 02:06 PM
todd

John Richardson wrote:
So there I was, Googling the rec.skiing.snowboard archives for some
mogul-riding advice when I wondered if flask contents had been

discussed in
this group before. Lots of good advice/techniques/suggestions about

moguls.

Glad you found some good info.

Not very forthcoming with flask information, though.

For the reasons mentioned...dehydration, response time, etc....I don't
usually drink while boarding, but as noted, a social sip here or there
can be nice. And as someone else mentioned, I don't think I've ever
been out with a Russian who didn't have a flask with them.

A few weeks ago myself and two friends were out at Powder Mountain,
Utah. We took the $7 cat ride up Lightening Ridge and traversed far
across the saddle to a beautiful untracked powder drop on the other
side. Nice. As we rested from the traverse and took in the scenery,
one friend pulled out a flask of blackberry brandy. Right about then
it tasted great. Warmed you up, didn't seem to sweet and had just the
right kick to it. Give it try.

Old February 1st 05, 02:36 PM
Neil Gendzwill

todd wrote:

For the reasons mentioned...dehydration, response time, etc....I don't
usually drink while boarding, but as noted, a social sip here or there
can be nice.

I used to have a beer at lunch but I found that the better I got, the
more I noticed the effect on my balance. I save my drinking for the end
of the day, and then I usually like a nice dark beer. But if I had to
put anything into a flask, it would be a good smokey single malt like
Talisker or Lagavulin. If I had to share with people who aren't such
whiskey fans maybe something good but lighter like Oban or the MacAllan.

Neil

Old February 1st 05, 06:20 PM
Walt

John Richardson wrote:
snip
Anyway, a couple of years ago
someone in our group brought a bottle of Apple Brandy, which was excellent
for a short warm-me-up on the lift. No one in the group will fess up to
having brought it, though. I bought a bottle of some kind of Apple Brandy
from a Virginia ABC store the following year and it was the nastiest stuff
I'd bought since buying those bottles of cheap wine with names like "Night
Moves" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" down in Panama City, FL. When I was
fourteen.

Try Calvados. It's the "real" apple brandy from France.

We don't drink much on the mountain.

Good. Go for quality not quantity.

--
//-Walt