volkl supersport 5-6 * versus Dynastar skicross 10

Old February 12th 04, 03:42 PM
biner

Default volkl supersport 5-6 * versus Dynastar skicross 10

Hello,

I am looking for buying my firs new pair of short carving skis. I
shoped around and I was offerd atomic SL-9, SX-11 but it is the Volkl
supersport 5 or 6 stars and Dynastar skicross 10 that have caught my
attention.

Has anybody any pointer to help me choose. If I go to my local store
the choice is easy as the Volkls are noticeably more expansive, but
somehow on the net it seems I can get them for similar prices. To give
you an idea, I'm a pretty good skier, I like tighs turns, not
necesserly fast, and I like to go in the moguls an in the "sous-bois".
I am not into fast long turn on corduroy. I also need skis that grip
on the ice as I ski in Quebec where it is pretty icy all the time.

My main concern with the Volkl are their stiffness in the moguls and
their reputed unforgivness. As for the Dynastar I hear good things
about them but i don't know what to expect.

I guess I should try both but I don't have time to arrange that. Any
feedback from buyers of these babies?

Ciao!
Old February 12th 04, 06:17 PM
Walt

biner wrote:

[...]

I've demoed both the 5 star and the Ski Cross 10. Here are my thoughts:

Ski Cross 10: pretty good ski, but nothing really remarkable about it.
Get it at a good price and it will be adequate. It's a compromise ski,
Ok at many things, not really great at any. Personally, I prefer the
Speed series over the Cross series.

Volkl 5 Star:
o The hype is true - the best hold on ice of any ski I've ever
been on. It's amazing - just set the edge and it holds no matter
how icy it is.
o Even though it has a lot of sidecut (~12 meter nominal radius) you
can still make effortless long turns, as well as short turns,
medium turns, and any kind of turns you want.
o Don't worry about unforgiveness in the 5 star - just about anybody
can ski it. There are skis that you have to be right on top of all
the time, and others that let you ski aggressively or be lazy. The
5 Star is in the second category. The 6 star (which I didn't try)
is reputed to be less forgiving.
o I did notice some squirrellyness at speed at one point, but I'm
sure that's dealable once you get to know the ski a bit better.
(by contrast, the Volkl P50s that I'm on now have never shown any
squirrellness ever at any speed I've dared to take them)
o I wouldn't take it in the bumps, at least not the hard tight ones.
Too much metal in the ski, I'm afraid it would bend or break.
o It makes an unpleasant metallic sound when you ski over ice. This
is a minor quibble (most people don't care what their skis sound
like) but aesthetics are important to me.

In sum, a great ski for what I like (long GS turns on groomed) and what
I often get (scraped off glare ice). Perhaps suboptimal for things I
don't do much anyway (deep powder, bumps). Unfortunately, they're
expensive, so I've opted to allocate my ski budget elsewhere.

Either of the Atomics might be a good choice for you. I didn't really
like the SL-9 because it always wants to make short turns and you have
to stay on top of it all the time. This may not be an issue for you.
The SX-11 is better for varying radius turns. Both have good to
excellent ice hold (but not as much as the 5 star) Don't know about
bumps. The SX-11 is extremely ugly - must've been designed by someone
who's colorblind.

HTH. My $.02.
--
//-Walt
//
Old March 29th 04, 08:47 PM
Daniel J. Spalluto, II

The best advice I could possibly give you is to demo both the SuperSport 5 &
6 in the day, but my suggestion to you is to stay away from the SuperSport 6
if you like to ski the bumps. They are too stiff. I have skied Volkl's for
almost 20 years and they will most certainly hold on ice and hard back. The
SuperSport 6 is the greatest ski for making some nice wide turns, though you
can connect some quick short turns with them. The SuperSport 6 with plow
through just about anything, even the Spring mash potatoes that you will
find in areas like Killington in March and April. I have never skied on the
SuperSport 5 so I can not tell how they are but I understand that they are
somewhat softer than the SuperSport 6 and may be better in the bumps.
om...

Old March 29th 04, 09:28 PM
larry

I skied the 5 star 2 weeks ago in Steamboat. Spring
conditions...very ):..fantastic ski. I would like to try the 4 star also.
I have skied 30 years about 10 days a year and the 5 star may be a bit more
than required for me. It likes to go fast..very fast and is quick to
respond. I like to ski all over the mountain and don't want to haul 2 sets
of skis around but that would be ideal.

lars

Old March 30th 04, 01:43 AM
dick

i suggest trying the salomon " scream 10 pilot
xtra hot , it is truly AWESOME !!!!!!!!!
i went from crossmax 10's ( 180 cm. ) to a
(165 cm.) xtra hot and only gained in performance,
in EVERY category.

happy trails,
woody