What the heck does this burton sticker mean?

Old December 9th 04, 02:34 AM
todd

Default What the heck does this burton sticker mean?

one of the amusing things i find about snowboard gear is the lack of
documentation on much of the gear. the designers obviously spend a lot
of time designing cool features into these products, but many times
you're left to discover them on your own.

when they do document features they use pictographs. (most likely so
they don't have to worry about language translation.)

i'm not sure if this one is a cool feature or not, but this sticker was
on the heel of my burton ion boot and for the life of me i have no idea
what they're trying to say.

img src="http://tinypic.com/vdwcy"
http://tinypic.com/vdwcy

any guesses?

-todd

Old December 9th 04, 03:02 AM
David

"todd" wrote in message ups.com...
i'm not sure if this one is a cool feature or not, but this sticker was
on the heel of my burton ion boot and for the life of me i have no idea
what they're trying to say.

Probably "leather uppers, synthetic liner & sole."

Old December 9th 04, 11:57 AM
todd

wow...if that's it, you're good.

how did you get that from the symbols? i guess the top right symbol
can look kind of like an animal hyde (i thought it was a binding
highback!).

either way, good call.

Old December 9th 04, 12:33 PM
David Brown

All standard shoe symbols

Old December 9th 04, 03:02 PM
bri719

todd wrote:

when they do document features they use pictographs. (most likely so
they don't have to worry about language translation.)

i'm not sure if this one is a cool feature or not, but this sticker was
on the heel of my burton ion boot and for the life of me i have no idea
what they're trying to say.

I always wonder why they do that crap too...is it so they can sell them
in Japan + Europe, or what.

it's pretty annoying. there's always a little picture and you're
sitting there scratching your head to figure out what the heck it
means. why cant bindings, boots, etc come with a manual explaining
warranty info and how to use/care for them. hey bindings maybe they do,
but boots I don't think so. stupid Burton

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old December 9th 04, 03:34 PM
todd

All standard shoe symbols

I guess I don't buy enough shoes.

Old December 9th 04, 06:06 PM
Jason G

In article , David says...

"todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
i'm not sure if this one is a cool feature or not, but this sticker was
on the heel of my burton ion boot and for the life of me i have no idea
what they're trying to say.

Probably "leather uppers, synthetic liner & sole."

Leather/synthetic uppers, synthetic liner and sole. See the diamond?

Either that, or "This boot has been used to stomp a badger into diamonds."

I have a pair of boarding gloves that really needed a wash (don't ask). The
care instructions looked like they were written in Zapf Dingbats. No text at
all, just a string of inscrutable symbols.

Me and my friend were sitting there scratching our heads like cavemen, saying
things like:
"What does it mean if the circle has a dot in it?"
"Not sure. What does the circle mean?"
"I dunno, but we can only use one dot with it."
"Hmm. but this square has three dots and a line through it. Does that mean wash
separately, since there are two gloves?"
"Not sure, is the square "washer" or "dryer"? Both my washer and dryer are
square."
"Hey, do you think this one means "no bleach" or "Keep out of sun"?

I ended up having to Google "laundry symbols" to find out WTF they were trying
to say. Is this some commonly understood apparel shorthand that us Merkins just
haven't been taught? I can't imagine some mamacita in Guatamala Googling for
symbol translation before she washes that secondhand coat she got for her kid.

--
Jason G
"This isn't a matter of being tolerant;
Old December 9th 04, 10:29 PM
Champ

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 08:02:56 -0800, bri719
wrote:

I always wonder why they do that crap too...is it so they can sell them
in Japan + Europe, or what.

it's pretty annoying. there's always a little picture and you're
sitting there scratching your head to figure out what the heck it
means. why cant bindings, boots, etc come with a manual explaining
warranty info and how to use/care for them. hey bindings maybe they do,
but boots I don't think so. stupid Burton

"And that was a broadcast from the 'Speak English or Die' party".
--
Champ
Old December 9th 04, 11:52 PM
bri719

Champ wrote:

"And that was a broadcast from the 'Speak English or Die' party".

no not really...most universal products I buy, whether they be
electronics, snowboarding related, or clothing are printed in multiple
languages (English, French, Spanish at a minimum). didn't think these
would be any different. why have pictograms almost nobody understands?
granted there's Japanese too, but that's only one more to worry about.
you want to print it in German also, hey be my guest.

it also seems to reason that Burton is a NA company and some form of
English-printed instructions would be included for things. they're
charging enough...

bri