Boots on a Budget

Old November 28th 04, 10:44 PM
Stephen Palmer

Default Boots on a Budget

Hello,

I have pruchased a Rome Solution '05 and Burton Mission '05 Bindings
but I still need to get my first pair of boots and I'm on a bit of a
budget. I would describe my riding as intermediate, I can make linked
turns on red runs and have some limited experience of jumping on
(very) small kickers.

Based on what my local snowboard retailer stocks, I have narrowed the
selection to the following models. What would you suggest in terms of
performance/value for money given the caveat that I will try each pair
on for fit as this is obviously the most important factor:

Prion ThirtyTwo 129.99
Freestyle Burton 129.99
Encore Vans 139.99
Dialogue Salomon 144.99
Prospect ThirtyTwo 149.99

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old November 29th 04, 01:12 AM
Waco Paco

Stephen Palmer wrote:
Hello,

I have pruchased a Rome Solution '05 and Burton Mission '05 Bindings
but I still need to get my first pair of boots and I'm on a bit of a
budget. I would describe my riding as intermediate, I can make linked
turns on red runs and have some limited experience of jumping on
(very) small kickers.

Based on what my local snowboard retailer stocks, I have narrowed the
selection to the following models. What would you suggest in terms of
performance/value for money given the caveat that I will try each pair
on for fit as this is obviously the most important factor:

Prion ThirtyTwo 129.99
Freestyle Burton 129.99
Encore Vans 139.99
Dialogue Salomon 144.99
Prospect ThirtyTwo 149.99

Thanks in advance,
Steve

I think for the same amount of money, the 32 boots have the best value
as their liners are heat modable (up to 5 times). But it all comes down
to fit. I have heard that Salomon boots are good for people with narrow
feet (I've got wide feet and Salomons don't fit right for me).

-stu
Old November 29th 04, 07:08 PM
bri719

Stephen Palmer wrote:

Prion ThirtyTwo 129.99
Freestyle Burton 129.99
Encore Vans 139.99
Dialogue Salomon 144.99
Prospect ThirtyTwo 149.99

I'd suggest the last one. I don't know very much about the Vans boot
listed but know these generally rank just a notch below 32's as far as
general rider satisfaction from what I've heard. (plus my gf is happy
with hers even though I didn't let that factor in to my advice too much,
hehe)

I own a pair of 03-04 Burtons, but they're basically the top of the line
boot. I don't have as much faith in their entry level boots, know even
though Burton is a respected brand I probably wouldn't want to wear them
on any regular basis, and have heard mixed opinions.

Prions are decent boots, but go with the best you can afford when
comparing the two models between a single brand. it's "merely" $20, but
trust me from experience you really won't regret it to go with the
better boot. if you can find a better deal somewhere else, even more
reason to buy 'em. I too am on a budget and priced / looked at many of
these same boots you are asking about.

good luck and hope you enjoy your new kicks.
bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old November 29th 04, 07:10 PM
bri719

Waco Paco wrote:

I think for the same amount of money, the 32 boots have the best value
as their liners are heat modable (up to 5 times). But it all comes
down to fit. I have heard that Salomon boots are good for people with
narrow feet (I've got wide feet and Salomons don't fit right for me).

-stu

oh yeah, I knew I forgot to mention something. I echo that stu...

some people like 'em, but in my opinion Salomon's boots are kinda
quirky. try 'em and if you like 'em take your pick between those and
the 32's (I'd still take the latter myself)

-b

Old November 30th 04, 11:26 PM
Jay

"Stephen Palmer" wrote in message
m...
Hello,

I have pruchased a Rome Solution '05 and Burton Mission '05 Bindings
but I still need to get my first pair of boots and I'm on a bit of a
budget. I would describe my riding as intermediate, I can make linked
turns on red runs and have some limited experience of jumping on
(very) small kickers.

Based on what my local snowboard retailer stocks, I have narrowed the
selection to the following models. What would you suggest in terms of
performance/value for money given the caveat that I will try each pair
on for fit as this is obviously the most important factor:

Prion ThirtyTwo 129.99
Freestyle Burton 129.99
Encore Vans 139.99
Dialogue Salomon 144.99
Prospect ThirtyTwo 149.99

Thanks in advance,
Steve

I've got the Prions and I think they're excellent. I used to have Dialogues
which were really good to start with but the liners collapsed (I think) and
they became really painful. The Prions are also a bit more flexible which I
like. I'm about 68 or 70 Kg and at that weight the Dialogues are actually
quite stiff (well I thought so) and doing grabs or anything was pretty much
impossible. Of course if you're into high speed alpine stuff, you probably
want to go with stiffer boots but that's up to you. The manufacturers seem
to say stiff = expensive and I've never understood that.

Of course with boots, it's the fit that's important but the heat mouldable
liners do work so if they fit, I'd certainly recommend them.

Jay

Old December 5th 04, 02:16 PM
Tiburon27

If the boot fits comfortably, and you can afford it, buy it. "Am I getting
more boot-for-the-buck" means nothing. I bought some DC boots on sale (good
value) but their geometry led them to dig into my calf after about 15
minutes of riding and was extremely painful. I sold them to a friend who
fit them better. I was blinded by the "good value" and failed to pay
attention to proper fit.