Ski lessons at Lake Tahoe for a 14 year old first time beginner?

Old January 16th 06, 07:59 PM

Default Ski lessons at Lake Tahoe for a 14 year old first time beginner?

What are the good places where our 14 year old can go off safely with
the instructor for a lesson and learn comfortably?
Do we need to invest in semi-private / private lessons or are group
lessons fine?

We are planning to spend 2-3 days (weekdays, not weekends) on the
slopes and some of the places being considered are Sierra at Tahoe and
Heavenly (expensive?);

No one at our home knows how to ski and we will appreciate any
suggestions that you can pass on;

Thank you,
AS

Old January 16th 06, 08:56 PM

All ski resorts offer lessons; the cost, group size and makup, and
instructor quality depends largely on how much you pay.

If he has never boarded before, then usually private lessons are a waste of
money - go for the group lessons (and it's a good way for him to meet
people!). Most resorts offer a package price - includes equipment hire,
lessons and some sort of "free lessons until you get it" guarentee. It's a
good deal.

You don't need to worry about going for "big" resorts, nor the ones with the
most expensive ski-passes (after all, all he will be skiing on is the
"bunny" slopes" - he won't be going all over the mountain).

Of the resorts on the south end of the lake, I suggest going for Sierra at
Tahoe .. IMHO the staff there are better.

If you can get to the north end of the lake, go for Boreal (or one of the
small areas around there, and is a real boarder dude place) or Northstar.

oups.com...

Old January 16th 06, 08:57 PM

I think the water at Tahoe may be a little cold.

Old January 16th 06, 09:06 PM

as wrote:

What are the good places where our 14 year old can go off safely with
the instructor for a lesson and learn comfortably?
Do we need to invest in semi-private / private lessons or are group
lessons fine?

We are planning to spend 2-3 days (weekdays, not weekends) on the
slopes and some of the places being considered are Sierra at Tahoe and
Heavenly (expensive?);

No one at our home knows how to ski and we will appreciate any
suggestions that you can pass on;

I have not been to that ski resort but have been to others. When it comes
to prices for ski vacations, the sky is the limit. I certainly don't
recommend outfitting the whole family with skis, boots and the works
before finding out if it is for you. Let's just say that if you are old
enough to have a 14 year old kid, you are going to be one of the oldest
people on the hill.

You are looking at some serious costs if you use daily rentals and lift
tickets. I have not skied for a couple years and prices vary, but I can
tell you that the ski resorts around here charge up to $45 per day for
lift tickets. There are morning only, morning and afternoon, afternoon,
afternoon and evening or evening only tickets. Night is usually the
cheapest, and personally, I always liked night skiing best. Afternoon
tends to be the busiest, and you spend a lot more time in line at the
lifts.
Then there is the cost of ski rental, usually about half as much as the
lift ticket, but that varies form place to place.

Your best bet is to look for some sort of combination package. The resorts
often have good deals on rentals and lift tickets. It is always much
cheaper to get a multi day pass, so long as you get out there and use it.
You may pay a premium for a room in the hotel at the base of the mountain,
but the savings on rental and lift tickets may make it worth while.

Be advised that skiing is exercise, and is especially demanding on the
legs. You will discover some muscles in the back of your legs you never
knew that you had before. You may only want to ski a few hours a day, and
after 4-5 hours of skiing you will be looking forward to the hot tub back
at the hotel.

Old January 16th 06, 10:12 PM

Let's just say that if you are old
enough to have a 14 year old kid, you are going to be one of the oldest
people on the hill.

I've met 70+ year old that ski. Just go mid-week, when all the tourists
are at work.

lower that age to 50+, and you are tlaking a sizable chuck of the mid-week
skiing population.

Don't let age - or percieved age - put you off.

Old January 16th 06, 10:18 PM

"as" wrote in message
oups.com...
What are the good places where our 14 year old can go off safely with
the instructor for a lesson and learn comfortably?
Do we need to invest in semi-private / private lessons or are group
lessons fine?

We are planning to spend 2-3 days (weekdays, not weekends) on the
slopes and some of the places being considered are Sierra at Tahoe and
Heavenly (expensive?);

No one at our home knows how to ski and we will appreciate any
suggestions that you can pass on;

Thank you,
AS

We've been to Lake Tahoe, but never during ski season, even though we're
avid skiers. I came across a website http://www.skilaketahoe.com/ that
seems to cover all the areas, and they have a place where you can ask
questions.

If your 14yo is of the male variety, you may want to consider a
snow-boarding lesson as well, as that sport is hugely popular, especially
among young people.

I can't be more specific, but we did visit Heavenly two summers ago and it
offers a lot of varied terrain. Its in-town location may or may not be a
plus, but it opens up your loding possibilities. All ski areas offer
packages, with lifts, equipment rental, and lessons being a common
combination. The lodging can be packaged too, and for a midweek trip it
might be relatively inexpensive.

have fun!

Old January 16th 06, 10:20 PM

as wrote:
What are the good places where our 14 year old can go off safely with
the instructor for a lesson and learn comfortably?
Do we need to invest in semi-private / private lessons or are group
lessons fine?

Group lessons are just fine for a beginner - weekdays you might even get
group rates with just a couple of kids in the lesson. (Privates work
well when a) you've got money to burn , or b) you're an accomplished
skier who wants to learn a particular advanced skill.)

We are planning to spend 2-3 days (weekdays, not weekends) on the
slopes and some of the places being considered are Sierra at Tahoe and
Heavenly (expensive?);

Either would be fine; call ahead and see if they have a beginner package
of ticket, lesson, and equipment. Many resorts basically give away the
beginner day anticipating return business. BTW, it's convenient to rent
at the slopes, in case you need to change something; the only difficulty
is crowds, which you won't have on a weekday. It's a pain to rent in the
flatlands and have an equipment problem on the slopes.

No one at our home knows how to ski and we will appreciate any
suggestions that you can pass on;

Don't stress to much - skiing is actually fun.
Stay away from boarding - a first timer will spend most of his first
days banging his butt or head on the hardpack.
Old January 16th 06, 10:38 PM

Dave Smith wrote:
...Let's just say that if you are old
enough to have a 14 year old kid, you are going to be one of the oldest
people on the hill.

I call Non sequitur.
Old January 16th 06, 10:39 PM

as wrote:
What are the good places where our 14 year old can go off safely with
the instructor for a lesson and learn comfortably?
Do we need to invest in semi-private / private lessons or are group
lessons fine?

We are planning to spend 2-3 days (weekdays, not weekends) on the
slopes and some of the places being considered are Sierra at Tahoe and
Heavenly (expensive?);

No one at our home knows how to ski and we will appreciate any
suggestions that you can pass on;

Thank you,
AS

Diamond Peak would be a great place to learn - it's small, not that
crowded, MUCH less expensive than the larger resorts, very friendly
people & less intimidating. Plus, the view from the top is incredible
for others in the party.

Old January 16th 06, 11:19 PM

lal_truckee wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:
...Let's just say that if you are old
enough to have a 14 year old kid, you are going to be one of the oldest
people on the hill.

I call Non sequitur.

Not entirely, but maybe I should have explained. It is a little more
physically demanding that some people realize. There is more to it than just
standing on a pair of skis and letting gravity do the work. It takes a lot
of energy to counter gravity and keep yourself under control. I tried
downhill skiing after more than 15 years of cross country skiing. That
taught me some basics about balance, but I always thought that downhill
skiing would be easier..... until I tired it. I had no problem on the bunny
hill, thanks to Xcountry experience. I had no problem on the beginner hill. I
set off for an intermediate hill. Half way down that hill for the fourth time
I thought my thighs were going to explode.

I was 43 the first time I tried down hill skiing, and I was usually twice the
age of most of the people around me. I rarely ran into people my age or
older. I attribute that to the physical demands. There aren't that many
people over 30 who are in condition to even tackle the slopes, and those
older people who do try it do only a few runs. Kids have a lot more energy
and can easily spend a whole day on the slopes.