How warm can it get?

Old February 5th 05, 03:27 AM
Your Worst Nightmare

Default How warm can it get?

We are supposed to go skiing/snowboarding in Wisconsin tomorrow (4hr
drive each way), but it's supposed to be 54 degrees! How warm can it get
before the skiing is ruined? Will it be slush and terrible at 54; they
have a 35-40in base.
--
"You can go a long way with a smile.
You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun."

Old February 5th 05, 04:17 AM
MattB

Your Worst Nightmare wrote:
We are supposed to go skiing/snowboarding in Wisconsin tomorrow (4hr
drive each way), but it's supposed to be 54 degrees! How warm can it get
before the skiing is ruined? Will it be slush and terrible at 54; they
have a 35-40in base.

It will be good if you don't mind slush. Better than when it gets cold
again anyway.
I don't mind slush so much but some hate it. If you hate it stay home.

Matt

Old February 5th 05, 05:42 AM
Nevhision

I assumed it was going to be too slushy and canceled my trip to Alpine
Valley.

On a side note, I'm assuming you're going to Cascade. Does an extra 100
vertical feet merit going to Cascade instead of Alpine Valley?

Old February 5th 05, 06:16 AM
JQ

"Your Worst Nightmare" wrote in message
We are supposed to go skiing/snowboarding in Wisconsin tomorrow (4hr
drive each way), but it's supposed to be 54 degrees! How warm can it get
before the skiing is ruined? Will it be slush and terrible at 54; they
have a 35-40in base.

(snip)

You are in good shape, it may be a little soft but should be really nice,
spring skiing at its best!

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 6th 05, 04:21 AM

A lot depends on how cold it is before your 54 degree day, if there was
any rain, etc. For example, if it's been 30's during the day, 20 at
night for several days before, the conditions will be a lot better than
if it's been 50 days, 40 nights. Also keep in mind that temps are
usually quoted for the base area, or even a nearby town that can be at
a lot lower elevation and consequently higher temp than the top of the
mountain. If this is one of the first warm days, it could be fine.

One thing for sure, make sure you hit the trails when the lift opens.
When it's a warm day, the best conditions will be early and it can get
real poor in two hours. Of course, if you're traveling with women,
this is nearly impossible.

Old February 7th 05, 03:58 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated.] On 2005-02-06, The
Real Bev penned:

My mom and I are both compulsive about never being late. My concession to
normality is to leave at the appointed time and then not look at my watch
until I get there. Knowing what time it is won't get me there any faster
(and besides, I've already allowed 10 to 15 minutes for unexpected
emergencies like traffic jams) and just increases the tension level.

I have this problem, too. To me, "on time" is typically at least 15 minutes
early, just in case. Drives my husband nuts. He goes by the "leave just in
time to arrive three minutes late, assuming traffic is ideal" policy. *groan*

I can't keep my eyes off the clock when I'm in my car, but on my motorcycle
there's no clock, which is actually kind of nice because, as you say, looking
at the clock is just stressful.

--
monique
Longmont, CO