Salmon Hills

Old October 5th 03, 01:33 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

Default Salmon Hills

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Gary Jacobson wrote:

The Tug Hill Tourathon Newsletter states that HSBC Bank which holds Salmon
Hills intends to see that the resort is open this coming winter.

Yes, we saw that, too. Led to all sorts of speculations about
what it might or might not imply. I suppose the bank probably
sees two good reasons to do that: 1) if it's generating income
then there is at least some money to put towards their loan
repayment, and b) it may help them in trying to sell it to be
able to show an interested buyer that it's operational and doesn't
require significant investment or repairs just to get it so.

It doesn make one wonder though, what aspects of the operation
will change under their ownership. Things like:

Who will be actively managing the place?

Will the grooming schedule be maintained as in the past
or will it be scaled back in an attempt to save $$ ?

Will there be any races scheduled there?

The web site still says "closed for business", with no hint of plans
of being open.

With folks already planning winter vacation schedules and making
reservations, I think it would be wise for whoever will be acting
manager to start advertising right away what the plans are and
start selling season passes and taking lodging reservations. It's
relatively easy to fill the rooms on weekends, but filling them
mid-week requires people spending vacation time there.

-Mitch

Old October 15th 03, 01:46 AM
Hans Giuliani

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that there is a very strong possibility
that salmon Hills will be in operation this season. Details are being
worked out and as soon as the final OK reaches my door, It will be
posted in Google and the website. If it does open it is also likely
that I will be running some of the operation. I am very aware that the
time factor is crucial but we are trying all we can. If all goes as
planned, the Pisten Bully will be back and the grooming will be better
than ever.

Hope to see all of you as soon as the snow flies.

Hans

Old January 19th 04, 08:46 PM
Joe Galloway

Has any skied and/or stayed at the resurrected Salmon Hills? I have been
waiting for them to update their website, particularly the "Trail
Conditions" portion, but this is probably low on the new owner's To-Do list.
Thanks.
Joe Galloway

Old January 20th 04, 12:53 PM
Onno Oerlemans

I skied there two weekends ago, just after their official re-opening. Hans
is doing the grooming again, and all the trails were groomed perfectly
except for Coey Hill, for which they apparently need renewed permission from
DEC to use again. The new owners were friendly and enthusiastic, and appear
to have big plans for improving food and lodging there. If you have specific
questions, I'd phone them directly.

We've had quite a bit of snow in the area over the past couple of weeks, so
coverage is no problem at all. The Tug Hill area is due for a lot more lake
effect snow today, apparently.

Onno Oerlemans

Old January 26th 04, 02:27 AM
Doug Taylor

"Joe Galloway" wrote in message
Has any skied and/or stayed at the resurrected Salmon Hills? I have been
waiting for them to update their website, particularly the "Trail
Conditions" portion, but this is probably low on the new owner's To-Do

list.

The website is now updated, though one day behind on conditions for some
reason. The URL is still http://www.salmonhillsresort.com though the new
owners have changed the name of the area to "Salmon Run."

Today, 1/25/04, everything except Coey Hill was groomed (by Hans) to
perfection. Coey Hill is now open to skiing, though not groomed. I
remarked to the new owners that at least the skaters would love to have the
hill groomed flat, and they were open to the idea. I got the impression
that their visitor numbers might still be low and they are just conserving
for the time being. No great loss today - glide was tough with very cold
temps so it would have been an anaerobic redliner.

I recommend and encourage interested skiers to return to one of the better
groomed areas in the Tug Hill region, and vote for the grooming of Coey Hill
with their attendance and wallets.

Old February 3rd 04, 12:54 PM
Barbara Nuckols

"Doug Taylor" wrote in message ...
[...]

Today, 2/3/2004, the old URL does not work.
Use http://www.salmonrunresort.com instead.
Trail conditions from the site as of Feb 1, 2004 we
"Hans is presently grooming the trails after spending the last 36
hours packing down the tremendous snowfall we had. It's sunny and cold
at 9:30AM; air temp is 8F and climbing. Surface conditions are packed
powder; by noon all trails should be groomed and trackset. See you on
the trails!"