UK skier in Banff for the first time....

Old January 14th 04, 11:47 PM
Jason

Default UK skier in Banff for the first time....

Hi. I'm off to Banff 31st Jan for a week. It's my first time skiing on the
North American continent as I tend to ski in the French and Swiss Alps. The
pound is so strong against the dollar this year though that I just couldn't
resist it.

I've heard there are 3 areas Sunshine, Lake Louise and another one which is
less good. Has anyone got any advice on where's best to go with a 6 day lift
pass and where the night-time action is?

Jason

Old January 15th 04, 06:55 AM
InMyTree

The Canadian dollar is not good against the pound.. well, its not better
than it has been for a while.. the US dollar on the other hand..

Old January 15th 04, 04:31 PM
Steve Haigh

Jason wrote:
Hi. I'm off to Banff 31st Jan for a week. It's my first time skiing on the
North American continent as I tend to ski in the French and Swiss Alps. The
pound is so strong against the dollar this year though that I just couldn't
resist it.

I've heard there are 3 areas Sunshine, Lake Louise and another one which is
less good. Has anyone got any advice on where's best to go with a 6 day lift
pass and where the night-time action is?

The other area is Norquay. Also, Kicking Horse is do-able from Banff
(you can get all in one coach+lift ticket deals and it is worth a visit).

You don't need to buy a six-day pass. You can if you like but you won't
save anything over buying day tickets. Check with your hotel when you
get there, they may be able to offer discount tickets for some or all of
the ski areas.

I've skied at Sunshine, Lake Lousie and Kicking Horse. My advice, ski
them all! My favourite was probably KH followed by Louise, but then
again Sunshine has Delirium Dive which is fantastic skiing. They are all
great places, but the journey to KH may put you off, I think it's a
couple of hours from Banff. Better to concentrate on the nearer hills I
guess if you only have 6 days.

The pound is not much stronger against the CDN$ than it has been for a
few years now, but you should still find eating out in Banff much
cheaper than Europe. Lift tickets may be a bit of a shock though, if
anything they cost more than in Europe, alegedly due to high insurance
premiums required against litigation.
Old January 15th 04, 07:22 PM
Dan Leung

I've heard there are 3 areas Sunshine, Lake Louise and another one which is
less good. Has anyone got any advice on where's best to go with a 6 day lift
pass and where the night-time action is?

The other one is Mt Norquay, Banff.
Sunshine is 20 mins, Lake Louise is 30 mins drive from banff.

Look at www.skibanff.com
Rockies.FoundLocally.com

for info

Dan
Old January 15th 04, 10:54 PM
John Privett

Jason wrote:
Hi. I'm off to Banff 31st Jan for a week. It's my first time skiing
on the North American continent as I tend to ski in the French and
Swiss Alps. The pound is so strong against the dollar this year
though that I just couldn't resist it.

I've heard there are 3 areas Sunshine, Lake Louise and another one
which is less good. Has anyone got any advice on where's best to go
with a 6 day lift pass and where the night-time action is?

You can get a lift pass for all 3 which includes the buses from Banff to all
three areas. Louise (http://www.skilouise.com/) is about 45 mins by bus,
Sunshine (http://www.skibanff.com/) around 30 mins. The "other one" is
Mount Norquay and is the nearest to Banff, only about 10 or 15 minutes away.
Norquay is much smaller than the others.

Compared to Europe you should find excellent snow, uncrowded slopes and
minimal lift queues. Also food and drink at Sunshine, LL and Norquay is
much cheaper than in European resorts. Take a look at Club Ski, sort of a
cross between ski-school and ski guiding. Runs for three days, one day at
each ski area. By the end of it you'll have had some instruction plus
you've been shown around each of the three areas.
http://www.skibig3.com/school/clubski.html.

We'll be back in Banff for 10 days later in the season. Last year we stayed
at Lake Louise, the year before Banff. We'll be booking for 2005 shortly -
probably Banff again :-)
--
John P. - who flies on Epsom Downs, UK.
http://www.flyrc.org.uk/

---

Old January 18th 04, 02:48 AM

I was in Lake louise skiing just last tuesday. Check my pictures at-
http://members.shaw.ca/victordaly/photos/
Had a great time recommend the lake anytime.
Old January 19th 04, 01:00 PM
Peter Riley-Jordan

Jason -

I too have just come back from another excellent holiday out in Banff, (my
3rd visit there). Arrived during a cold snap where -41 C was recorded over
night. Luckily that did not last long and a day or two later it warmed up
to -30 C and we skied at Sunshine (wind chill took it back a bit to -35).

Lake Louise was great, you can also use the tri-area pass to visit Lake
Louise for a walk if you need a day off, as we did to visit the Chateau and
walk across the lake to the glacier. Fare would otherwise be $20.

We were there when Michael Douglas and his misses was there along with Robin
Williams for a celeb sponsored race.

Did not visit Norquay this time, if you can make time visit the Sulphur
baths and try to get a trip up Sulphur mountain in the gondola, but I do
believe that it has just closed for it's annual maintainence.

You'll get loads of advice of where to eat etc. from the TV out there resort
info on channels 2 and 12, If you are not veggie then try Bumpers
Steakhouse, just opposite the Inns of Banff, great value, don't go on the
appearance of the building. Another great (but a bit more expensive) was
Saltlik's near the cinema.

Try to get a walk in up to the Springs hotel, you can have a day of
pampering if you need it.

--
Peter

Old January 25th 04, 08:52 PM
be

I board and my wife skis. Both the kids board. We have travelled to Europe
and in the last couple of years have been to Canada. We were in Flaine in
early January, (which was nice), however, I believe that given the choice we
would rather have returned to Canada (again). Possibly to Banff or one of
the other resorts. It's a different type of terrain. Europe is quite jagged.
Canada is quite smooth. (Anyone who has been will probably know what I
mean). Anyway once you have been to Canada to ski or board I think you
always compare Europe and Canada. My first choice would be Canada when I can
afford it. Smaller queues or no queues. English speaking. Great food.
Amazing service. Some good deals to be had on ski/board gear. Plus you can
claim back the tax you pay on goods. Jason there is just one word to
describe the Banff ski/ snowboard experience "AWSOME". Have a great time.

Be

Old January 29th 04, 11:36 PM
Jason

"be" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks - I'm soooo looking forward to it since it still hasn't stopped
snowing! Sunshine Village lives up to it's name on Saturday, Sunday and
Monday if the forecast is right :-)