Best overall beginner slopes in US ?

Old January 22nd 05, 04:46 PM

Default Best overall beginner slopes in US ?

Can you guys tell me what ski resports in the US are the best for
beginners? Are there any like this?

Multiple long, wide easy beginner slopes.

Fast idiot proof beginner ski lifts.

Not busy during weekdays.

Within a couple of hours of a major city for Airport access so we can
get there in a timely manner.

What else am I missing?

Thanks !!!

Old January 27th 05, 08:58 PM
Lisa Horton

lal_truckee wrote:

wrote:
Can you guys tell me what ski resports in the US are the best for
beginners? Are there any like this?

Multiple long, wide easy beginner slopes.

Fast idiot proof beginner ski lifts.

Not busy during weekdays.

Within a couple of hours of a major city for Airport access so we can
get there in a timely manner.

What else am I missing?

It may be hard to believe, but Squaw Valley has great beginner slopes at
High Camp, just as you describe - "Multiple long, wide easy beginner
slopes. Fast idiot proof beginner ski lifts. Not busy during weekdays."
Reno International is ~45 min/mi away, all good roads.

PLUS uncomparable scenery, AND it's at the top of the tram (take the
tram down if you're a real beginner) so the beginner can feel a full
part of the skiing experience.

I don't know of another major resort with the beginner slopes on the top
of the mountain, with the best snow.

As a beginner, let me second what Lal said. The beginner runs really
are very wide open, and there's more than a few. The beginner lifts are
slow, making it easy to learn to get off. I found the lifties at the
beginner areas at Squaw to be very helpful as well.

As a beginner, it was nice at Squaw not being consigned to the bottom of
the mountain, without more advanced skiers ending their runs barelling
through. At Sqaw, even a beginner can feel what it's like at the top of
the mountain, including the incomperable view.

Lisa
Old January 23rd 05, 02:57 AM
miles

Can you guys tell me what ski resports in the US are the best for
beginners? Are there any like this?

Multiple long, wide easy beginner slopes.

Fast idiot proof beginner ski lifts.

Not busy during weekdays.

Within a couple of hours of a major city for Airport access so we can
get there in a timely manner.

What else am I missing?

This won't meet all your requirements but Arizona Snowbowl near
Flagstaff, AZ. is one of the best places I have ever been to for
learning to ski. Two lifts supply access to a very wide and long open
prairie. Its wide enough so you dont have to weave around other skiers
and rather long unlike so many beginner areas. It has got to be the
perfect beginner slope.

The rest of the mountain is intermediate and expert. However, a few
years ago they redid the intermediate runs off the bottom of the bowl
area flattening it out quite a bit. It's now a rather light
intermediate / good beginner run.

Most people don't realize the Arizona even gets snow! This area is more
of a small town locals area. This year the snow has been fantastic soft
powder. Phoenix is about a 2 1/2 hour drive away. Phoenix skiers go
there on the weekends when it can get crowded. During the week the
slopes are usually wide open with zero lift lines.

For the advanced/intermediate skier the view from the top is spectacular
with visibility all the way to the Grand Canyon and a 2300' verticle drop.

http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/
Old January 23rd 05, 05:20 PM

Do any of these slopes have chair lifts that completely stop at the top
to make it easy for beginners to get off?

Thanks

Old January 24th 05, 05:55 PM
Chester Bullock

Walt wrote:

Finally, I should add that the best, least crowded terrain is often
accessed from the gnarliest oldest lifts.

My kids look at me like I am nuts when I tell them I learned how to ski
off of a Poma. I might have to teach them how to use a T-Bar this weekend.

Chester Bullock,
Colorado Mountain Cams, Snow Conditions, Opinionated Reports
http://www.black-diamond.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247