did I get the right board?

Old November 15th 04, 04:22 AM
BigWaveDave

Default did I get the right board?

I recently received my first board and bindings as a birthday gift,
but I'm unsure if the specs are going to work for me. I'm 6'2",
190lbs, size 10.5 feet. The board is 163cm long, with a waist width
of 26.3 cm. I haven't purchased boots yet, but when I stand on the
board barefoot at comfortable angles, my feet are about 1cm short of
the edge on both sides. A salesman at my local sporting goods store
said that my feet should be flush or slightly over for maximum turning
control. Is this correct? Should I exchange the board for one with a
25 cm width?

Thanks!
Old November 15th 04, 03:45 PM
Mike T

Should I exchange the board for one with a
25 cm width?

The rule about having a little overhang applies with your boots on. So it
all dependson on what size and model boot you wind up getting, how deep the
sidecut is on your board, how wide you like your stance, and what stance
angles you like - in other words, too many variables for us to give you a
definitive answer on.

Select your boots and then try the experiment again! Measure the overhang
and post the results here.

Mike T

Old November 15th 04, 04:00 PM
Ken Osborne

I'm interested in the answer you get as well. I'm barely past a
beginner, a lifelong Florida surfer though; and I just bought a Cruzer
164 wide, 26.2cm waist. My size 10s are a couple CMs over the heelside
and just past the toe side. I'm considering bringing the binding
closer to the toe side to even things up, but I frankly don't know.
It feels pretty good, but I haven't been down a mountain in it yet...
Old November 15th 04, 04:07 PM
Mike T

My size 10s are a couple CMs over the heelside
and just past the toe side. I'm considering bringing the binding
closer to the toe side to even things up, but I frankly don't know.

I would adjust your bindings to even things up. IMHO this is especially
important at the beginner stage.

Old November 15th 04, 04:59 PM
id

BigWaveDave wrote:

I recently received my first board and bindings as a birthday gift,
but I'm unsure if the specs are going to work for me. I'm 6'2",
190lbs, size 10.5 feet. The board is 163cm long, with a waist width
of 26.3 cm. I haven't purchased boots yet, but when I stand on the
board barefoot at comfortable angles, my feet are about 1cm short of
the edge on both sides. A salesman at my local sporting goods store
said that my feet should be flush or slightly over for maximum turning
control. Is this correct? Should I exchange the board for one with a
25 cm width?

I've found that heels and toes flush with the edges when barefoot in
your normal stance is a good guide. On that basis the board's a little
wide. But as others have pointed out, what matters is the overhang once
you're in your boots and bindings.

Iain
Old November 16th 04, 04:23 AM
Michael C