Detuning, etc.

Old November 11th 04, 04:14 PM
Bruce Chang

"Jason Medeiros" wrote in message
i'd suggest you buy your daughter some wrist guards as she's learning to
handle this board!

--

jmed

Wearing wrist guards is a bandaid solution. You should treat the source of
the problem: trying to cushion your falls with your wrists. You need to
teach her to fall properly. It takes a lot of getting used to but one less
broken wrist is one less trip to the hospital.

Old November 11th 04, 04:21 PM
Jason Medeiros

Wearing wrist guards is a bandaid solution. You should treat the source
of
the problem: trying to cushion your falls with your wrists. You need to
teach her to fall properly. It takes a lot of getting used to but one

less
broken wrist is one less trip to the hospital.

true true true...this man speaks z truth.
they call him bruce!

--

jmed

Old November 11th 04, 07:03 PM
David

"Switters" wrote in message ...

Having broken both wrist and arm (at separate times), I would much
rather have the arm broken if I had to choose between the two. Wrist
breaks can be complicated, sometimes (often even?) involving surgery.

Her's was very close, but didn't require surgery or cause lasting problems.
One of her friends who broke his wrist at school recently needed surgery.

Anyway despite having insurance that covered most of the bills, we ended up
paying close to US$1000 for the treatement, follow up visits, etc., and this was
no surgery.

Old November 12th 04, 06:44 AM
Arvin Chang

"tg" wrote in message ...

Wearing wrist guards is a bandaid solution. You should treat the source
of the problem: trying to cushion your falls with your wrists. You need
to teach her to fall properly. It takes a lot of getting used to but one
less broken wrist is one less trip to the hospital.

I agree completely, if you look at the research, the wrist guards can just
move the site of the break to above the guard. Most wrist injuries are to
beginners though. Learning how to fall is very important to limit injuries
to the extremities. But it is also a reaction most people have to brace
themselves with their arms/hands. When my kids had lessons last year, they
actually worked with them on the correct way to fall. The kids had a ball
ditching a run and tumbling.

This is my personal opinion... you may not agree with my reasonings.

While I agree that wrist guards should only be the secondary
protection of your wrists, with learning proper technique being more
important. There is a great deal of pratice request before learning
not to stick out your palms open handed, and I think it is silly to
avoid wrist guards altogether because of the fear of become dependent
upon them.

About the research, if you looked at recovery rates, a clean break at
the forearm (radius and ulna) often will recover more quickly than a
break in one or more of the several bones that comprise of the wrist
joint because they are small and are all interconnected with ligament
tissue.

Ontop of that... a well designed wrist guard like the No Gomer
(http://www.reliableracing.com/winter...&category=3000)
will unquestionably reduce injury. Just by its shape it reduced the
force applied to any part of your arm by at least a factor of 30 -
based on two simple high school physics effects. First, unlike a
rollerblade wrist guard, it shaped so you can't take the impact on the
palm of your hand even if you tried - and will probably deflect the
your "lunging" forearm to the side and cause it to slide out (and
hence avoiding the possibility of a forearm fracture). Even if you
manage to hit it square on the splint, the energy is directly through
the splint and not to your wrist. The guard isn't 100% snug on your
arm and it will have a good 2-3 cm play... that is at least a tenth of
second of sliding up your arm before stopping... compared to the
hundredth of a second impact time on a bare hand, take means the
impulse (impulse = force / time) is going to be reduced by around a
factor of 10 (that's a conservative guess, it's probably much more).
On top of that, the splints on the No Gomer are extremely wide, at
least 3 inches... compared to the width of your large forarm bones
(which would have born the entire force by itself) the Pressure
(Pressure = Force / Area) is reduced again by a at least a factor of
3. Meaning that if you *were* to break you forearm because of the
wristguard... it would have probably shattered your wrist if you
hadn't been wearing any protection... even if you had ball your hand
into a fist, your knuckles would probably fractured into several
pieces.

Wrist guards aren't an end all solution, and they can lead people to
think they are invunerable. But the same is true for helmets (there
are random situations where a helmet *might* be worse)... taking it to
further extremes... the same is said for 4WD SUVs, Anti-lock brakes,
air bags, seat belt, etc - where there are situations where it can
lead the subject to develop bad/risky habits, or even cause injury in
unique cases. My point is that I think wrist guards are a viable part
of a multi-pronged approach to safety.

--Arvin
Old November 12th 04, 03:05 PM
tg

"Arvin Chang" wrote in message
om...
"tg" wrote in message

I agree completely, if you look at the research, the wrist guards can
just
move the site of the break to above the guard. Most wrist injuries are to
beginners though. Learning how to fall is very important to limit
injuries
to the extremities. But it is also a reaction most people have to brace
themselves with their arms/hands. When my kids had lessons last year,
they
actually worked with them on the correct way to fall. The kids had a ball
ditching a run and tumbling.

This is my personal opinion... you may not agree with my reasonings.

Stuff cut out here

Ontop of that... a well designed wrist guard like the No Gomer
(http://www.reliableracing.com/winter...&category=3000)
will unquestionably reduce injury. Just by its shape it reduced the
force applied to any part of your arm by at least a factor of 30 -
Wrist guards aren't an end all solution, and they can lead people to

think they are invunerable. But the same is true for helmets (there
are random situations where a helmet *might* be worse)... taking it to
further extremes... the same is said for 4WD SUVs, Anti-lock brakes,
air bags, seat belt, etc - where there are situations where it can
lead the subject to develop bad/risky habits, or even cause injury in
unique cases. My point is that I think wrist guards are a viable part
of a multi-pronged approach to safety.

--Arvin

Arvin,
Thanks for the link. I have been wearing gloves with the build in wrist
guards but they are uncomfortable. Will order the ones you suggest today. I
also wear a helmet and require my kids to as well. I have not found easy to
wear wrist guards for them yet. Most are very skateboard/rollerblade type.
Tim