The longest on-topic thread in recent history - What it takes

Old April 22nd 04, 07:29 PM
Lisa Horton

Default The longest on-topic thread in recent history - What it takes

klaus wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:
At any rate, I should probably mention that I am most emphatically not
single, although my other half has less than zero interest in skiing

Oops - that'll make it tougher; no wonder you're having trouble getting
back up. Does he like snowshoeing? Snow camping? Astronomy?

cough.. The gender is still indeterminate for both the OP and the
SO. Welcome to USENET.

Just trying to help.

You must get some rather odd visitors here to have developed such a
suspicious attitude

Normally, I'd just say do a Google groups search, but in the last week
or so, I've been impersonated by a troll on a number of groups that I
don't participate in. If you do a groups search, just ignore anything
that purports to be from me, but is from hotmail or Google, as I post
only through my own ISP.

For the record, I'm definitely female, as is my SO. If that's a
problem, just let me know and I'll not bother you again, an invitation
that extends to the group as a whole.

Lisa
Old April 22nd 04, 08:00 PM
Lisa Horton

lal_truckee wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

At any rate, I should probably mention that I am most emphatically not
single, although my other half has less than zero interest in skiing

Oops - that'll make it tougher; no wonder you're having trouble getting
back up. Does he like snowshoeing? Snow camping? Astronomy?

She likes Reno. She has visions of relaxing in a spa suite while I'm
out skiing. I have one friend who's interested in snow sports, and
she's a boarder. Looks like I'll be doing most of my skiing solo for a
while

I took the current (and only ever) missus on a skiing holiday first
date, to check her true potential as a significant other. Since she had
never skied before, and since she skied two days in miserable wet
snowfall and LIKED IT, I figured she was a Possible.

It's great to find someone who shares your interests. I firmly believe
that the best foundation for a lasting marriage or relationship is,
ultimately, friendship. You sound like you're old enough to understand
what I mean

Lisa
Old April 22nd 04, 08:17 PM
lal_truckee

Kurt Knisely wrote:
In article , klaus says...

lal_truckee wrote:

At any rate, I should probably mention that I am most emphatically not
single, although my other half has less than zero interest in skiing

Oops - that'll make it tougher; no wonder you're having trouble getting
back up. Does he like snowshoeing? Snow camping? Astronomy?

cough.. The gender is still indeterminate for both the OP and the
SO. Welcome to USENET.

What a call k. How do you know these things? Some innate gift you have?

It's called not jumping to conclusions; it quite nicely compliments
jumping cornices.

I guess I need to work on my, ahem, skiing.
Old April 22nd 04, 08:30 PM
Lisa Horton

Alpine Instructor wrote:

Fundamental motivations: An intellegent newbie female skier shows up
and the longest on-topic thread in recent history on RSA results. I'm
sure it didn't hurt Lisa's popularity that she is also into
photography, since lots of outdoors guys/geeks are into that as well.

I scoped out the group before I posted. Small group, and it was
encouraging to see a couple of other women here. Skiing, at least from
what I've seen so far, seemed to have a lot of women. So I thought I'd
be fairly safe from the "new woman in a techie group" reception. I did
note, with some dismay, the level of troll activity.

Just from who posted what in this thread, I'm going to hazard a guess
that Kurt and Eagle are both single and lookin'.

Kurt sounds like he's been burned before

I know about Lal, Bev and myself, but on the basis of number of posts
and content, I'm going to guess that Foot and Astro are also either
happily married or members of the over-the-hill crowd, or both.

I'll admit to being, basically, a member of both myself. Never too old
to have fun though!

As newsgroups go, this group definitely has the "small club" feel to
it. Not that that's in any way a bad thing. But groups like that can
be more intimidating or even less welcoming to the newcomer, who's
seemingly the only one who doesn't know everybody already. But you
folks have, so far, made me feel very welcome, and I thank you for that.

I'm sure at least some of you realize that I'm mainly here because I
just can't stop thinking about skiing. It'll probably taper off until
I'm gone for a couple of days then return, once again overly excited.

Lisa
Old April 22nd 04, 08:33 PM
The Real Bev

Lisa Horton wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Alpine Instructor wrote:

An intellegent newbie female skier shows up

Presumed female - where's Horvath with the tank top / shorts request?

I wondered about that. Have Hooters girls changed their costumes? Not
quite as much fun to ask about turtlenecks and prairie skirts.

And it'd be on topic for once, cause it's Spring Skiing out there and
lots of tank tops and/or shorts are showing up; I for one broke out the
flowery short sleeve prints in March this year, only to be sandbagged by
the wonderfully foul weather of the last couple of weeks - gawd, it was
nice to be cold again.

Presumed? Ah, I guess it is Usenet, after all I'm a little old for
tank tops, and the shorts come out once the temp hits 80. Under 50, I
bundle up.

I used to wear tank tops for motorcycling and laughed at the Freds in
body armor, but that was a while ago too...

At any rate, I should probably mention that I am most emphatically not
single, although my other half has less than zero interest in skiing

Ain't that the way? Mine tried for one season and decided that any fun
involved wasn't worth the expense or the danger of injury.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old April 22nd 04, 08:41 PM
klaus

Lisa Horton wrote:
You must get some rather odd visitors here to have developed such a
suspicious attitude

They're not odd at all. Everything has it's place. And actually I'm
quite the opposite of suspicious.

Normally, I'd just say do a Google groups search, but in the last week
or so, I've been impersonated by a troll on a number of groups that I
don't participate in. If you do a groups search, just ignore anything
that purports to be from me, but is from hotmail or Google, as I post
only through my own ISP.

Sounds like work.

For the record, I'm definitely female, as is my SO. If that's a
problem, just let me know and I'll not bother you again, an invitation
that extends to the group as a whole.

I hope you stick around. As long as you don't tell me what to do, I
won't tell you what to do. Well, ok, maybe I will, but it's not like I
really expect you to take up telemarking, quit your job, and hike for
your turns. And whatever you do, don't tell Horvath what to
do. heh.. there I go.. telling you what to do....

-klaus

Old April 22nd 04, 08:46 PM
klaus

Kurt Knisely wrote:
In article , klaus says...

cough.. The gender is still indeterminate for both the OP and the
SO. Welcome to USENET.

What a call k. How do you know these things?

chuckle I didn't know more. I knew less.

-klaus

Old April 22nd 04, 08:57 PM
klaus

lal_truckee wrote:

It's called not jumping to conclusions; it quite nicely compliments
jumping cornices.

I guess I need to work on my, ahem, skiing.

Best time of the year. Best time.

From yesterday evenings avalanche report:

http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/advisory.html

"Storm totals are starting to stack up. Since Sunday, the Cottonwoods
have received close to 30" of new snow with over 2 "of water,
including 8-12" last night."

And just for giggles, divide that out to get snow density. The sun is
shining now though.

-klaus

Old April 22nd 04, 08:59 PM
klaus

Lisa Horton wrote:

I have one friend who's interested in snow sports, and
she's a boarder.

Tell us more.

-klaus

Old April 22nd 04, 09:15 PM
Lisa Horton

klaus wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:
You must get some rather odd visitors here to have developed such a
suspicious attitude

They're not odd at all. Everything has it's place. And actually I'm
quite the opposite of suspicious.

I see. Your contradictions are informative I have no desire to know
more, however. You see, this is the first time I've been greeted in a
new group with this sort of suspicion.

Normally, I'd just say do a Google groups search, but in the last week
or so, I've been impersonated by a troll on a number of groups that I
don't participate in. If you do a groups search, just ignore anything
that purports to be from me, but is from hotmail or Google, as I post
only through my own ISP.

Sounds like work.

As you like. You were the one with the gender indeterminate comment.
You're free to find your answer if you like.

For the record, I'm definitely female, as is my SO. If that's a
problem, just let me know and I'll not bother you again, an invitation
that extends to the group as a whole.

I hope you stick around. As long as you don't tell me what to do, I
won't tell you what to do. Well, ok, maybe I will, but it's not like I
really expect you to take up telemarking, quit your job, and hike for
your turns. And whatever you do, don't tell Horvath what to
do. heh.. there I go.. telling you what to do....

Usenet relationships infrequently cross over into 3D, so I tend to
provisionally accept that people are who and what they say they are.
Most of the time, it's irrelevant who or what they are in 3D, at least
for the sorts of online discussions I pursue.

Thanks for the invite.

Lisa