My trip report (Chair operators = Idiots)

Old March 6th 06, 02:12 AM

holding the chair was the done thing. Lifts and lift operations have
both changed since then, and nowadays lift operators are more likely to
concentrate their efforts on getting people to use the lifts properly
than on grabbing chairs and trying to maneuver them to make up for
people's failure to load properly.

But there is a sign next to the lift that said "If you do not know how
to use the lift, let the operator know"

I guess I should have said "He does not know how to use the lift"
instead of "Hold the lift"

But I think "Hold the lift" is pretty clear...it means HOLD it.

Maybe, maybe not. See my other post. "HOLD" is ambiguous,
especially if the liftie doesn't speak English as a
first language.
Old March 6th 06, 02:22 AM

Maybe after your buddy crashed and burned that idiot thought YOU were an
idiot for taking a beginner on a chair too advanced for him?

this was the beginner hill, what other chair could we have gone on?
As I said in the prior post, there is a sign that says 'If you do not
know how to get on the chair, let the operator know'
I thought I was letting him know by telling him to hold the chair.

I think the respondent is trolling us - his whole post sounds fishy.

Which parts of my post shows fishy?

I, credulous and gullible fool that I am, believe you. How do they expect you
to "let the operator know"? You don't get within yelling distance of the
operator until you're the next in line. Maybe you should have yelled HELP THE
NEWBIE! or something, but 'Hold the chair' doesn't seem too difficult to
understand.

Anyway, you are free to speak to Mike....who was the instructor for our
class.

After the class, I asked him if we were ready for the hill (which is
the next one up from the hill where classes are taught)
He said we would be fine and to take it slow and easy.

So getting on the chair wasn't part of the class? Hmph. I would have thought
that that would be part of ANY beginner lesson.

--
Cheers, Bev
You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.
Old March 6th 06, 02:28 AM

VtSkier wrote:

Oh, and how does one get familiar with a lift without
riding it? So the newby's responsibility is to tell the
liftie that he/she is a newby and would you please slow
the thing down so I can get the feel of it and not have
any immediate accidents.

Now THAT would be difficult for a limited English speaker to comprehend,
especially in the five to ten seconds or so available.

And I think "STOP THE CHAIR" would be a better call to the
liftie, as "STOP" is less ambiguous than "HOLD" for one
who may not speak English too well.

I would think that any panicked yell would do. A simple scream ought to be
sufficient to indicate that there's some sort of problem.

If that's what you wanted. See, I'm a little confused
by the ambiguity. See above about newby lift riders.

When you feel like bitching about lifties, try to imagine
yourself doing this job day in and day out. Then imagine
yourself doing this job for around $8.50 per hour.

I'd rather do that than clean toilets, wouldn't you?

Old March 6th 06, 02:39 AM

"See below about newby lift riders. Also, how does one lie
"flat on the ground" with skis on? Inquiring minds...

Yes, I've helped people who have crashed on exiting by
making sure they keep their heads down.

Like I said above, my friend went on the beginner hill 3 times...the
first time Off the lift, he fell, no big deal, everyone falls.
But the second time, he fell right in front of the lift, even the
operator yelled out "WATCH YOUR HEAD", man the lift just barely missed
his head.

Thats why on the 3rd trip up, I told the lift (when we are getting on)
to Hold the chair...cuz I didnt want my friend getting hurt.
I didnt notice it all, cuz I was trying to get on the lift myself (Im
not good at it either).
But I know he fell, and his skis both popped off (maybe one got knocked
off by the lift?)...I think he layed down sideways as the lift went
over his head....he told me later that he ducked down and looked out of
the corner of his eye at the chair to avoid it.
The operator stopped the lift about 2 feet past the boarding area.
And he helped my friend put both skis back on...then we went up the
hill.

Old March 6th 06, 02:42 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, my friend and I got to Mountain Creek about 8:30, got our tickets
and rentals.
Got on the learning slope around 9:15, went down the hill twice (its
about 200 feet)

Bummer to hear about the lift and rental problems. Hey, what do you think
of that Bode Miller guy?
--
Marty

Old March 6th 06, 02:45 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
holding the chair was the done thing. Lifts and lift operations have
both changed since then, and nowadays lift operators are more likely to
concentrate their efforts on getting people to use the lifts properly
than on grabbing chairs and trying to maneuver them to make up for
people's failure to load properly.

But there is a sign next to the lift that said "If you do not know how
to use the lift, let the operator know"

I guess I should have said "He does not know how to use the lift"
instead of "Hold the lift"

But I think "Hold the lift" is pretty clear...it means HOLD it.

It is also possible that the lift operator was one of the fellows hired from
no English speaking countrys.
There seems to be quite a few at MC this year.
The gjy may not have understood what to you was a simple instruction.
Next time try hand signals.
Pops

Old March 6th 06, 02:47 AM

"VtSkier" wrote in message
Mary Malmros wrote:

wrote:

Anyway, I have two gripes with the damn chair lift operator.

Gripe away and see below.

1. One time, when the chair came around, I looked at the operator and
said "HOLD the chair" but he didnt do anything, and the chair actually
knocked my friend down and went over his head (luckily my friend was
lying flat on the ground).
What does that idiot think I meant when I told him "HOLD THE CHAIR"

See below about newby lift riders. Also, how does one lie
"flat on the ground" with skis on? Inquiring minds...

Yes, I've helped people who have crashed on exiting by
making sure they keep their heads down.

He probably thought you were having a flashback to the '70s, when holding
the chair was the done thing. Lifts and lift operations have both
changed since then, and nowadays lift operators are more likely to
concentrate their efforts on getting people to use the lifts properly
than on grabbing chairs and trying to maneuver them to make up for
people's failure to load properly.

Mary, there are not lifties left over from the 70's

BTW, one of the items of the National Ski Patrol's skier/rider
responsibility code is as follows:

Ayup, see below.

"Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to
load, ride and unload safely."

Now, there are some unusual lifts out there, so it should be said: not
everyone can ride every lift, and not every lift can be operator-adjusted
to accomodate every rider. However, I spend a lot of time taking small
children on lifts, and I've got a pretty good idea of where the edge lies
as far as someone who's not very strong, not very big and doesn't move
very fast being able to use a chairlift. The little guys can do it --
often with some assistance from the adults they're riding up with, but
without the operator holding the chair -- so the operator probably didn't
expect an able-bodied adult to need that kind of assistance.

If it's a fixed-grip lift, the liftie should momentarily
stop the chair with his weight so that the guest can sit
down without the chair doing serious damage to the backs
of his/her legs. After three months of practice, the kids
from elsewhere who don't speak very good English are just
now "getting it". I've taken to dropping my hand to prevent
chair-smack on fixed grip lifts and complementing the
the liftie when he does it right, also with a "thank you".

Poma lifts are another matter. The modern way of doing
it with you in motion by the time the liftie pulls the
chain releasing the pole is a whole lot better than the
old way of standing still with the liftie standing on the
tails of your skies and not stepping off until the spring
is stretched to max. It does take a bit of practice to
get it right though.

Oh, and how does one get familiar with a lift without
riding it? So the newby's responsibility is to tell the
liftie that he/she is a newby and would you please slow
the thing down so I can get the feel of it and not have
any immediate accidents.

And I think "STOP THE CHAIR" would be a better call to the
liftie, as "STOP" is less ambiguous than "HOLD" for one
who may not speak English too well.

If that's what you wanted. See, I'm a little confused
by the ambiguity. See above about newby lift riders.

When you feel like bitching about lifties, try to imagine
yourself doing this job day in and day out. Then imagine
yourself doing this job for around $8.50 per hour.

VtSkier

They do get a free lift pass too don't they?

Pops

Old March 6th 06, 03:03 AM

I make it a point to get to know the lifties. Here, at least, most of the
lifties take their responsablities seriously--especially when it comes to
guest safety and comfort (in spite of poor working conditions and even
poorer pay)--But accidents can and will happen no matter what. I've also
seen guests do some amazing things at the most unexpected moments.

--
I ski, therefore I am
wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, my friend and I got to Mountain Creek about 8:30, got our tickets
and rentals.
Got on the learning slope around 9:15, went down the hill twice (its
about 200 feet)

Took the 10am lesson, to be honest, for me, I didnt learn anything from
the lesson, it just gave me a chance to practice what I knew.

Anyway, after the lesson went up on Sugar hill (the lift all the way on
the left) with my friend.
I would go down and to the side about 200 feet then wait and direct
him.
He had trouble making it without falling...its frustrating when people
do not listen to instructions...like he fell and hes on his back and
hes trying to just stand up.
I tell him that its impossible, and he has to use his poles and lean
against them for support, but he keeps trying to just standup while
flat on his back.

Anyway, after going down twice with me stopping every 200 feet to
direct him, he sat out, so I made two runs (VERY CROWDED)

Then he tried it once more with me stopping and directing him, then I
did 2 more runs then we left.

Anyway, I have two gripes with the damn chair lift operator.

1. One time, when the chair came around, I looked at the operator and
said "HOLD the chair" but he didnt do anything, and the chair actually
knocked my friend down and went over his head (luckily my friend was
lying flat on the ground).
What does that idiot think I meant when I told him "HOLD THE CHAIR"

2. Since I went on the lift by myself, I went on the "Singles" line.
But most of the people there were in groups.
A couple of times, I actually asked the guy in front of me "Is this the
Singles Line?" I got the reply yes, and he turns around and talks to
his group of 2-3 on the Singles line.
Isnt the operator supposed to enforce this rule?
One time, there was a group of 3 on this line, and their friends showed
up, so it turned into a group of 7!!
Dude...when people are in groups on the 'Singles' line, kick them off
and make them get on the back of the line.

Question (forgot to ask them) - when I rented the skis I got a copy of
the renter agreement (white paper) when I returned the skis, they wrote
a "Ret" on the paper.
Was I supposed to hand it in to someone?
I called and asked and this exchanged happened:
Me - Do I give the white paper to someone?
MC - No.
Me - How do you know I returned my skis then? (so I wont get charged)
MC - Did it get a R on the white paper?
Me - Yes...but how would YOU know I have the R...I have the paper
MC - We have the other 2 copies
Me - But they wrote the R on MY paper, not your copy
MC - We check every ski at the end of the day
Me - ok, whatever.

But are you telling me they check every ski and then say "Ok Ski 53827
is missing...lets look through EVERY paper to see who rented it"
That doesnt make sense.

It would make more sense for me to show them my White paper, and get my
two copies back... so whoever left a copy at the end of the day, thats
who did not return the skis.

But anyway, was I supposed to give the paper to someone?
Thanks