3 days in Vermont

Old August 20th 05, 11:11 PM
Olaf Timandahaff

In article .com,
lutton13 had this to say about that...

VtSkier wrote:
lutton13 wrote:
Ok, I have 3 days to ski Vermont this coming winter. Where should I
go? I'm a 45 year old intermediate skier. I'll have by 12 year old
son who is an intermediate snowboarder with me. We do the black diamond
slopes in Pennsylvania, but mostly stick to intermediates in Vermont.
We did Killington last year and loved it. Where should we try next?
Jay Peak? Stowe? Bolton Valley? Mad River Glen?

I was going to say Okemo until you said you loved Killington.

With that I'd think about Sugarbush (North is a little tamer
than South but good terrain at both). Jay is a long drive and
specializes in trees, steeps and deep snow. Stowe will give
you anything you want. Smugglers on the other side of Spruce
Peak at Stowe is a good choice. I'd stay away from Bolton
(lift served too tame) and MRG (oh-my-god nuts) because of
too little intermediate terrain. Did you ski Pico when
you were at Killington last year? Great little mountain, your
Killington pass works there is good for a Saturday because
of smaller crowds and is almost totally deserted on a weekday.

Thanks for your input. We're thinking about flying into Burlington, so
the driving distance to Jay isn't an issue, but it sounds like Stowe is
more our speed.

We did ski Pico when we were up at Killington and didn't like it at
all.
It might have been just a bad day to go, but while we were there a lift
broke down. There were bare patches and other poor snow conditions
everywhere. And I didn't feel like I was in Vermont. It ssemed like
I was back in the Poconoes!

If you want to feel like you're in Vermont, I'd say Stowe.
[close to Burlington too]
Old August 21st 05, 03:36 PM
Dave Stallard

lutton13 wrote:
Ok, I have 3 days to ski Vermont this coming winter. Where should I
go? I'm a 45 year old intermediate skier. I'll have by 12 year old
son who is an intermediate snowboarder with me. We do the black diamond
slopes in Pennsylvania, but mostly stick to intermediates in Vermont.
We did Killington last year and loved it. Where should we try next?
Jay Peak? Stowe? Bolton Valley? Mad River Glen?

I'd definitely say Stratton for the type of skiing you want. But you
say you're flying to Burlington. That might be too far south for you.
Also, it's the most expensive area in the East. Very different place
from Killington in that it's all one big mountain. Seems to have
good snowmaking, which is always a consideration in the East. And,
if you want to try another area close by, there are Bromley and Magic.

I know I'm in a minority on this, but I find Okemo very uncongenial.
The layout just feels so computer-designed to me - what can I say.

Stowe is (IMHO) a nice place, but the terrain there is much less
extensive than Killington. Jay Peak I have been to 3 days in 3 years.
One day was great, the other two sucked, terrifyingly. Some of the
iciest, scariest skiing I've ever done. Jay does get good snow, but
when it doesn't - look out.

Dave
Old September 8th 05, 07:31 PM
Jeff

I'm a Pennsylvania skier - my faves are Camelback and Elk. We stay in
Burlington and drive to the ski areas along 189. You *have* to make
Stowe part of your trip. While VtSkier finds Bolton a little lame, I
thought it was one giant playground. In Pennsylvania trees aren't an
option - the trunks are like six inches away from one another - so if
you want to get your feet wet in that kind of terrain Bolton is a great
place to start. It's my understanding that they're now servicing the
back bowl with lifts.

Great Bolton story: I was on a connecting trail and looking for ways to
make it interesting. I saw a huge snow bank and took it. At its top, I
suddenly sank without warning. It turns out I was atop a pine tree. I
had to remove skis and toss them back onto the trail. Later that day as
I passed that spot, I saw a woman stuck in the exact same spot! The
tree that eats people.

Old September 8th 05, 09:14 PM
JQ

"Jeff" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

She probably was following your tracks and as you did at the top stopped
other wise who knows what may have happened to her.

Another great area for tree skiing is Jay Peak it is way up there in
northern VT.

JQ
Dancing on the edge