A-Basin

Old May 8th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
redlodge

Default A-Basin

Colorado is still rockin', hit the Basin on 5/7/07 and they had fresh
powder, a 65 inch base, and falling snow. Great riding still, get up
there before the beastly heat arrives and melts the snow.

Old May 8th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On May 8, 3:53 pm, redlodge wrote:
Colorado is still rockin', hit the Basin on 5/7/07 and they had fresh
powder, a 65 inch base, and falling snow. Great riding still, get up
there before the beastly heat arrives and melts the snow.

We have actually had quite a bit of snow this week but the warmer
weather has moved in today and it should be significantly warmer this
weekend. The East Wall and Palli are both closed for the season.
Backcountry and snowmobiling have been great.

snoig

Old May 9th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

On May 8, 4:33 pm, snoig wrote:
On May 8, 3:53 pm, redlodge wrote:

Colorado is still rockin', hit the Basin on 5/7/07 and they had fresh
powder, a 65 inch base, and falling snow. Great riding still, get up
there before the beastly heat arrives and melts the snow.

We have actually had quite a bit of snow this week but the warmer
weather has moved in today and it should be significantly warmer this
weekend. The East Wall and Palli are both closed for the season.
Backcountry and snowmobiling have been great.

snoig

Have not been to A-Basin yet. I'm thinking of celebrating my birthday
my skiing there. I have never been skiing in May. How much damage
can a week of warm weather do up there? I do have rock skis.
--
Marty

Old May 9th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On May 9, 9:36 am, Marty wrote:
...I have never been skiing in May. How much damage
can a week of warm weather do up there? I do have rock skis.

Well, I don't think that rocks are much a problem if you don't go
extreme. It's the spring snow you need to watch out. "Quite a bit of
snow" means "quite a bit of slush," while the gravity pulls you down
and the slush sucks up all your speed/energy and brake you, skiing is
a quite a tug war.

Here at Tahoe we only have two seasons, winter and summer, imo. When
summer is here, I do summer things. Red Lake (Alpine county) is open
(free of ice), and I caught 5 trout, total 7lb+! yesterday; not bad
for the first day.

A happy fisherman,
IS

--
Marty

Old May 9th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On May 9, 10:21 am, taichiskiing
wrote:
On May 9, 9:36 am, Marty wrote:

...I have never been skiing in May. How much damage
can a week of warm weather do up there? I do have rock skis.

Well, I don't think that rocks are much a problem if you don't go
extreme. It's the spring snow you need to watch out. "Quite a bit of
snow" means "quite a bit of slush," while the gravity pulls you down
and the slush sucks up all your speed/energy and brake you, skiing is
a quite a tug war.

Here at Tahoe we only have two seasons, winter and summer, imo. When
summer is here, I do summer things. Red Lake (Alpine county) is open
(free of ice), and I caught 5 trout, total 7lb+! yesterday; not bad
for the first day.

A happy fisherman,
IS

--
Marty- Hide quoted text -

Do you fish without using your poles?

Old May 9th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On May 9, 10:36 am, Marty wrote:
On May 8, 4:33 pm, snoig wrote:

On May 8, 3:53 pm, redlodge wrote:

Colorado is still rockin', hit the Basin on 5/7/07 and they had fresh
powder, a 65 inch base, and falling snow. Great riding still, get up
there before the beastly heat arrives and melts the snow.

We have actually had quite a bit of snow this week but the warmer
weather has moved in today and it should be significantly warmer this
weekend. The East Wall and Palli are both closed for the season.
Backcountry and snowmobiling have been great.

snoig

Have not been to A-Basin yet. I'm thinking of celebrating my birthday
my skiing there. I have never been skiing in May. How much damage
can a week of warm weather do up there? I do have rock skis.
--
Marty

It usually doesn't get bad until it stops freezing at night. So far
we have had only a couple of nights where it didn't get below freezing
but it looks like the next week will be pretty warm at night. So it
will probably be going pretty fast but there is still plenty of snow
up there. My office is right across the highway from Keystone and
they still have about 50% coverage on the lower trails. Everything at
the top of the lifts are 100% covered.

I haven't been to the Basin in awhile but I would expect you would be
seeing some rocks on the West Wall mogule runs. Everything else
should be well covered. The rock skis may be nice to have but you
should be able to avoid all the rocks that are out there. Plan on
getting lots of grime on the bottom of any skis you use.

Closing day is June 3rd, so the next couple of weeks should still have
plenty of good snow. Bring your suntan lotion.

snoig

Old May 11th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

ups.com...
wrote:
On May 9, 9:36 am, Marty wrote:

...I have never been skiing in May. How much damage
can a week of warm weather do up there? I do have rock skis.

Well, I don't think that rocks are much a problem if you don't go
extreme. It's the spring snow you need to watch out. "Quite a bit of
snow" means "quite a bit of slush," while the gravity pulls you down
and the slush sucks up all your speed/energy and brake you, skiing is
a quite a tug war.

Here at Tahoe we only have two seasons, winter and summer, imo. When
summer is here, I do summer things. Red Lake (Alpine county) is open
(free of ice), and I caught 5 trout, total 7lb+! yesterday; not bad
for the first day.

A happy fisherman,
IS

--
Marty- Hide quoted text -

Do you fish without using your poles?

LOL! Good one.

Bob

Old May 11th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On May 9, 11:57 am, Richard Henry wrote:
On May 9, 10:21 am, taichiskiing

Here at Tahoe we only have two seasons, winter and summer, imo. When
summer is here, I do summer things. Red Lake (Alpine county) is open
(free of ice), and I caught 5 trout, total 7lb+! yesterday; not bad
for the first day.

A happy fisherman,
IS

Do you fish without using your poles?

Line, sinker and hook? Yes, I have, but it is not too efficient;
nevertheless, I did shoot a carp with bow and arrow once. No pole
fishing?

Fancy,
IS