cleaning ski bases

Old February 11th 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Neil Smith

Default cleaning ski bases

Dear All,
At home I have started using plain turps substitute to clean off the wax.
I'm not damaging my base am I?
Thanks
Neil

Old February 11th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
kskier

I'm not sure what turps substitute is,,,but the only thing to use to
clean your bases off, is citrus cleaner, which you should only be
useing on your skate skis, at the end of the season, and classic skis,
when your kick wax is too built up, or dirty. Any other cleaner will
dry out the base and maybe leave a residue in the base itself, which
will adversly affect the next time you wax.

Old February 11th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Neil Smith

The rules of not putting cold onto warm waxs requires cleaning after each
trip. Getting it wrong at the start can require it be used during the trip.
oups.com...

Old February 11th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Peter H.

On Feb 11, 8:40 am, "kskier" wrote:
I'm not sure what turps substitute is,,,but the only thing to use to
clean your bases off, is citrus cleaner, which you should only be
useing on your skate skis, at the end of the season, and classic skis,
when your kick wax is too built up, or dirty. Any other cleaner will
dry out the base and maybe leave a residue in the base itself, which
will adversly affect the next time you wax.

Unless you are going to have them stoneground or steel-scraped,
I'd say to never use any cleaner on the skate skis, or on the
classic skis' glide zones
(front and back---sorry if I'm patronizing, but I'd hate for you
to mess up (slow down) your skis temporarily!).
Use it on the grip zone of classic skis,
then sand a bit and apply base wax/klister before wax-of-the-day.
But I seldom do that except to prepare for a race,
or when switching in either direction between hardwax
and klister. A bit of scraping will usually get enough old
grip wax off (often unnecessary)
before applying the day's wax for recreational skiing.

I agree with using citrus cleaner. Stuff for working on
old furniture seems to work very well for me, rather than
paying Swix etc. a premium.

Clean those glide zones using very soft wax and a quick scrape
before it completely `unmelts', as described many times here.

Best, Peter

Old February 11th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

On Feb 11, 4:40 am, "kskier" wrote:
I'm not sure what turps substitute is,,,but the only thing to use to
clean your bases off, is citrus cleaner, which you should only be
useing on your skate skis, at the end of the season, and classic skis,
when your kick wax is too built up, or dirty. Any other cleaner will
dry out the base and maybe leave a residue in the base itself, which
will adversly affect the next time you wax.

I would never use any solvent on skate skis and glide zone of striding
skis - there's no reason to. Warm scraping with a soft parifin wax is
better and has none of the potential negatives of solvents

For kick zones, I've been using citris cleaner like others hve said.