Botwinov?

Old February 27th 06, 01:34 PM

Default Botwinov?

During the scant coverage of the 50k skate race yesterday, the NBC
announcers kept referring to the cloud of suspicion that hung over
bronze-medal winner Botwinov. Is this simply because he's on the
Austrian team, or are there other suspicions or incidents in his past?
I bet you don't say these things to his face, by the way. He's HUGE.

Onno Oerlemans

Old February 27th 06, 06:05 PM

My guess is guilt by assocation.

bt

Old February 27th 06, 08:16 PM

Well, it's more than a loose association, and it goes back to Salt Lake
in 2002. See
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter...ws?id=1343450:

"Austria won three Olympic medals in Nordic events at Soldier Hollow.
Christian Hoffmann won the silver and Mikhail Botvinov the bronze in
the 30-kilometer race. Wolfgang Perner took the bronze in the
10-kilometer biathlon sprint. A certificate belonging to Botvinov was
found inside a plastic bag containing the blood transfusion equipment,
Cathy Priestner Allinger, head of sport for the 2002 Games, told the
Salt Lake Tribune."

Still just circumstance and allegation, but that's enough to raise
questions- although the NBC commentators did go a bit overboard with
the "cloud of suspicion" nonsense. It must have been their 50km talking
point, just like "hitting a home run" was the talking point for the
men's 15km.

Old February 28th 06, 07:58 AM

The thing that has happened since then (as I remember and has
understood it), is that Mayer was judged to be (one of those)
responsible for that doping euipmentand banned by the IOC but the
Austrians let him start cooperate with the skiers again (which was
allowed as long as it had nothing to do with the olympics), but then
things evolved in a way that made WADA more and more sucpicious and
when they got hold on a post card precenting Mayer as coach for the
2006 olympics team and got tips about Mayer visiting the team in the
Olympic village, made a rad and, as written, e.g., in the following
clip from
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ts/4730842.stm
,

"... Ten Austrian athletes were drug tested following the raids,
sparked by the presence of banned coach Walter Mayer. ... 'To find
somebody guilty of doping you don't necessarily need urine and blood
samples,' said IOC president Jacques Rogge. 'It can also be based on
circumstantial evidence.' ... Mayer, 48, was banned from the 2006 and
2010 Games for doping offences at the 2002 event in Salt Lake City.
.... Austrian Olympic chiefs have launched their own investigation
alongside that of the IOC to fend off the possibility of a ban. ...
There's a storm brewing at the IOC. Whether the doping tests are
positive or negative doesn't matter. ... There was equipment found that
was clearly not allowed, including equipment for blood transfusions.
....Earlier, Jungwirth revealed that coach Emil Hoch, who disappeared
shortly after the raids, would be banned from future Olympics. ...
Austrian Ski Federation president Peter Shroecksnadel, who met an
Italian prosecutor on Thursday, has admitted that the two athletes who
left the Games after the raids, Wolfgang Perner and Wolfgang Rottman,
had confessed they 'may have used illegal methods'. ... Austrian
Olympic chiefs sacked Mayer after hearing about his arrest but they
could not stop the scandal from spreading. "

Nobody is convicted for anything yet, so we shouldn't jump to
conclusions, but it certainly smells bad... :-/

Old February 28th 06, 12:26 PM

Yeah, Botvinov is a tall guy but he's not built like Smirnov. Smirnov
was a guy you wouldn't want to **** off. I met Botvinov at the '97
American Birkebeiner where he set the full course record of 1:57 for 51
kilometers. The course that year was the fastest ever in my 20 Birkies
(BTW, I'm a Birch Leggings Club Memeber now that I've completed 20
Birkies!). Anyway, my time that year was 2:27! Yes, it was the speed of
the snow... Just like Muhlegg who won the Birkie in '99, Botvinov was
one of the nicest skiers I've ever met. I'm not commmenting on whether
there was doping involved with the Austrian Team this year...

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Old February 28th 06, 04:28 PM

my friend knew Muhlegg since world juiors back in about '87-they became
good friends and i heard he was a super-cool guy. ahhhh.so sad is
life, when the good turn to the dark side.

Old March 1st 06, 06:00 AM

no,no he was German...definitely not into kabbalala

Old March 1st 06, 01:02 PM

" wrote:

no,no he was German...definitely not into kabbalala

If you do a patient search you'll undoubtedly come up with something on
his beliefs, but here was a surface expression of them 2002:

It looks as though Spanish cross country skier Johann Muehlegg is not
of this world. This might explain how he won three gold medals at the
2001 Salt Lake Olympics, and any doping has nothing to do with it. The
referees were surprised with the skier’s statement that his actions are
guided “by extra-terrestrials from space." Johann Muehlegg made the
following statement in an interview with the BBC: “I saw them. They
contacted me and are now guiding my actions. You may say it is funny,
but their assistance has produced an evident effect. I am an Olympic
champion now, and my achievements are to go down in history.�

Old March 3rd 06, 09:36 AM

Congratulations on twenty, Sorry I didn't notice until you pointed it out
after the race, but I was dealing with my own issues, Ie: dropping out of
the elites for the first time in a long time. But "I vill be back" to coin
a phrase.

gonna be the FrontRunner again.

ups.com...