Gloves for wet riding

Old December 29th 05, 04:54 PM

I suspect some fish stories on this thread.
Year's '97-98, I spent lots of time hanging with SierraAtTahoes ski

My Outdoor Research gloves are completely waterproof. How do I know
that? I filled a bucket with ice water, put the gloves on, then held
them in the water for 30+ minutes. No leaks and my hands stayed warm
and dry. They haven't let my hands get wet on the slopes yet.

I haven't done the same test with mine, but would easily believe it. The
waterproofness does come with a price - the mitts are not the most
user-freidnly things around in terms of being able to work with zippers and
get things out of your pockets.

LeeD - try a pair. You'll see!

Mike T

Old December 29th 05, 06:51 PM

I suspect MORE fish stories, since both bad.mecha AND Mike T say they
believe their gloves are waterproof Goretex, tried some controlled
experiements, but have never boarded on RAINY days with those gloves!
Don't you think the SkiPatrol and the Instructors at SierraAtTahoe
get given GoreTex gloves to try, demo, and buy at 40% below wholesale?
And the head snowboard instructor, Paul, gets free almost everything,
since he's been there for 12 years.
Nope, pure theory aside, you can't say Goretex works until you try
boarding a rainy day with your gloves. Then you can say what you want.
I've boarded over 10 rainy days with soaking hands, all kinds of
"Goretex" gloves, and none of them work all that well.
Some work better than others, for sure, but maybe those days weren't
as wet.
How now, brown cow?
I was the buyer at a snowboard shop that sold over $300,000 worth of
snowboard stuff a year, so I'd get demos in all that stuff back in the
late '90's.

Old December 29th 05, 08:09 PM

I suspect MORE fish stories, since both bad.mecha AND Mike T say they
believe their gloves are waterproof Goretex, tried some controlled
experiements, but have never boarded on RAINY days with those gloves!

Now how do you think you know that? I *have* used them in the rain, sleet,
you name it. A number of times. And my hands stayed dry. I didn't even
use the "gauntlets inside" tip although I will in the future; I just cinched
down the gauntlets tight over the jacket sleeves. (Not a very bulky jacket,
so little room for water to get in). My face on the other hand - gets
cold, moisture + speed = windchill.

Take the mitts off - all bets are off. I just make sure I don't need to.
It's really not that hard.

Mike T

Old December 29th 05, 10:24 PM

LeeD wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry I didn't specifically say that I've boarded in the rain with
my gloves before. I figured that my bucket test would be enough, since
they're only fully immersed in water. Apparently not, so here I'm
saying it: I've ridden with my gloves in the rain and at the end of the
day my hands where the only thing still dry (I've since upgraded my
pants and jacket to Gore-Tex and have been dry ever since).

Old January 1st 06, 01:49 AM

The Goretex fabric itself is water-proof, the problem lies in seams
where the two pieces of fabric are sewn together. Taped seams help a
lot, but they can wear out as well.

Like Mike T, and Bad Mecha, I have a pair of Outdoor Research shell
gloves ($30) and they are as close to waterproof as you can get. The
tradeoff is that they aren't very breathable in warm weather (they will
get steamy inside from the moisture coming off your body) and are of a
simple mitt shaped design and have no built in liner. I use a pair of
REI liners at keep my hands quite warm and mostly dry. These only get
wet when I take off the shells to do something and stiff my snow
covered liners back in... even that it's just a little wet. They have
been gauntlet cuffs which prevent snow from coming in from the wrist.
I've worn this gloves in icestorms in Maine, -20C winters in Quebec,
Sierra cement here in Tahoe, and the summer slush of the PacNW where
Mike T is from and I am happy with their performance. This the shells
have no lining material, they never get soaking wet and can be dried in
less than an hour. So you can just flip them inside out, switch to a
second pair of dry liners and have relatively warm and dry hands again.
I get cold easily and don't particularly like being wet, but I have
found this solution to be ideal for the past couple of years.

I've seen SealSkin liners at REI that supposedly keep you hand dry even
if if you are using it fully submerged in water (used by kayakers or
something) they look interesting and are somewhat comfortable, but I've
never decided I needed to go that route.

Hope this helps,
--Arvin

wrote:
Have much luck with your gloves/mittens when riding in the rain? Got
truly waterproof gloves? How do you dry your gloves when they get
soaked inside?

It was pouring last week when we were at Sierra-at-Tahoe. Snowing at
the top. Anyway my daughter & I use our Gordini gloves that usually
seem reasonably warm. Mine are Goretex/Primaloft, hers Drimax/Hollofil
II. Anyway they both got soaked through. Less warm when soaked, and by
the afternoon we avoided higher elevations to keep our hands warmer.

Another problem is they won't dry. We used to use REI gloves, and we'd
invert their liners when we were done. These gloves don't seem to want
to do that, and it seemed to mess up the REI gloves after awhile.
After several days of hanging up to dry, I turned most of my gloves
inside out, and it was able to squeeze quite a bit more water out. Not
enough for it to dry though.

We tried using a hair dryer on "cool" to dry the gloves, but the hair
dryer quit.

Help!