Wheel drop/ski direction problem

Old April 24th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Wheel drop/ski direction problem

On Apr 23, 9:36 am, Larry wrote:
Hi,

My setup is 150 Combies with NNN R3 skate bindings (red flexors, the
stiffest). With 150ies being as heavy as they are, there is
considerable rear wheel hang. The problem that I have is when my left
rear wheel hits the ground, it acts as a rudder and swings the whole
ski inward. This gets worse with speed. As a result, I end up with the
left ski at almost zero angle to the direction of travel and, unless
I'm turning right, a pretty weak push-off. This only happens with my
left foot, which also happens to be my weaker foot in terms of
stability. Technique-wise, I've tried to be deliberate about putting
my left foot down as you would for a normal push-off, but I could
actually see the ski swing inward right before the front wheel hits.
I'm usually switching skis for even wheel wear, so it doesn't seem to
be ski or binding-related, as it is always the left foot. So in my
mind it's either something with the left boot or my technique. Can
anybody share any thoughts?

Thanks,

Larry

Dear Larry and Jan:

Larry, first of all, you're on the right track about the problem being
at least somewhat technique-based, since it happens with only your
left ski, or at least worse on the left. Get someone knowledgable to
critique you.

Second, yeah, rear wheel hang can be a problem but not just with heavy
skis. And yes, using the V2 brake on the Aeros makes it worse. Here
are some solutions I've either used or have been told about:

1. I use the Aero 125 wheels on the rear of my skate skis. This
wheel is considerably lighter than the 150 wheel on the front,
therefore making the balance better. Tire wear is worse on the 125s,
especially on the high-wear rear position, however. Premature 125
tire and wheel failure seems to have been mostly solved with the newer
wheel design.

2. I have used small diameter bungee cord tied to the brake axle, and
then tied up higher around my ankle, loosely. This can totaly
eliminate rear wheel hang, and can be adapted to any ski, brake or
none.

3. Sten Fjelheim, coach of Northern Michigan U., showed us a
variation of this that they use. They drill a very small hole
crosswise through the heel of the boot sole, and then pass a length of
stainless bike spoke through it, and form small loops or hooks on each
end. They then use a rubber band fastened to the loop on one side,
passed under the ski shaft, and fastned to the loop on the other
side. His favorite roller ski, that he uses this on, is the Marwe
610, by the way, proving that rear wheel hang isn't an issue just
affecting the Aeros.

If these techniques are not clear, I'd be happy to draw, scan, and
email them to anyone who asks. Just email me.

As far as using heavy roller skis goes, yeah, it's not ideal. I'd
love to have roller skis that weighed, handled, carved, skidded, and
felt just like my snow skis. Every roller ski is a compromise on that
ideal. In my case, I'll take the added weight of the Aeros for the
relative safety, rougher pavement freedom, and better tire wear they
allow. Especially skating, I don't think they compromise my technique
all that much. Snow will always be different, as I rediscover every
year, but it was different when I used much lighter roller skis, too.
I actually think using the Aeros has improved my balance, too, though
that took some time.

Randy