Zermatt in January

Old October 13th 03, 07:25 AM
Kathy Born

Default Zermatt in January

My husband and I (from Boston, MA, US) are considering a January ski
trip to Zermatt. We skiied in Wengen several years ago. While it was
pretty and the skiing varied, we thought we would try Zermatt as we
heard it is the best in Switzerland. However, we are worried about the
reliability of snow in mid-January and also about how expensive it is
in comparison to Wengen. Can anyone suggest some mid-range
accomodations that have a little style and also decent food. We liked
the way the Monte Rosa and the Romantik Julen websites looked but they
are $$$. Are we likely to have good snow by mid January? Other
choices are back to Wengen or try Zurs/Lech.
Old October 13th 03, 03:42 PM
fawlty

(Kathy Born) wrote in message . com...
My husband and I (from Boston, MA, US) are considering a January ski
trip to Zermatt. We skiied in Wengen several years ago. While it was
pretty and the skiing varied, we thought we would try Zermatt as we
heard it is the best in Switzerland. However, we are worried about the
reliability of snow in mid-January and also about how expensive it is
in comparison to Wengen. Can anyone suggest some mid-range
accomodations that have a little style and also decent food. We liked
the way the Monte Rosa and the Romantik Julen websites looked but they
are $$$. Are we likely to have good snow by mid January? Other
choices are back to Wengen or try Zurs/Lech.

Never been to Zermatt, but I skied the Arlberg last March. I enjoyed
it a lot, even if the snow wasn't really good (it didn't snow for
almost two months, since mid-february). In spite of that, they really
took good care of tracks, and there was a wide variety. The St Anton
area was a bit crowded some days, but as slopes tend to be wide, not
too bad. Lech was very pretty, and I liked Zürs too, although there
tracks tended to be on the narrow side and quite icy. However, the
Valluga to Alpe Rauz descent, the Kandahar run and some off-piste (if
you ski really good and snow holds) are definitely worth going, good
luck.

Btw, acommodation in Lech&Zürs tends to be more expensive than
StAnton..although it's probably quieter.
Old October 13th 03, 04:14 PM
InMyTree

Yeh.. and I've skiied in Australia in August.. has nothing to do with
Zermatt in January though..

"fawlty" wrote in message
m...

. com...

Old October 13th 03, 04:35 PM
Ace

On 13 Oct 2003 00:25:15 -0700, (Kathy Born)
wrote:

My husband and I (from Boston, MA, US) are considering a January ski
trip to Zermatt. We skiied in Wengen several years ago. While it was
pretty and the skiing varied, we thought we would try Zermatt as we
heard it is the best in Switzerland. However, we are worried about the
reliability of snow in mid-January and also about how expensive it is
in comparison to Wengen. Can anyone suggest some mid-range
accomodations that have a little style and also decent food. We liked
the way the Monte Rosa and the Romantik Julen websites looked but they
are $$$. Are we likely to have good snow by mid January? Other
choices are back to Wengen or try Zurs/Lech.

If anything, Zermatt would have a better snow record than Wengen, due
to it's height and glacier skiing. For details go to the Ski Club
website (in my sig) and choose 'Historical Snow Reports'.

Certainly you should be gusranteed plenty of skiing mid-January. In
fact, of all the Swiss resorts (and I live there) I'd reckon it the
most reliable at that time of year.

Price-wise will be comparable with Wengen proper, with the main
difference being that there are many small B&B-type places on the road
up to Wengen that may be cheaper - there's no such thing in Zermatt
and even if you chose to stop slightly down the valley at Tasch (which
I wouldn't recommend) it's not much cheaper. But for in-resort prices
it'll be about the same.

I've stayed for a long weekend at the Romantik Julen, which I would
heartily recommend, although as you say it's quite pricey - OK for a
romantic couple of days away, but perhaps over the top for a full week
or more. Sadly I don't have personal experience of any of the cheaper
hotels, but
www.zermatt.ch will give you the full range.

One thing to remember in Switzerland is that there's no such thing as
a dirty room - even the one and two star places will be pleasant
enough. I've stayed at many low-grade hotels like this throughout
Switzerland and never been disappointed.

You'll also pay less at what are referred to as 'Hotel Garni' which
means they don't do food, although breakfast is usually included,
sometimes at a hotel or cafe next door.

Eating out is likely to be expensive though (budget at least $20 per
person for a full evening meal), so you may be better to find a hotel
that does half-board (halbspension) as this will often work out much
cheaper.

A quick look at the zermatt website suggests that you ought to be able
to find somewhere mid-Jan from around US$30 per night, $45 with
evening meal, at that time. In my experience, booking direct with the
hotel (they _will_ speak English) is usually better than trying to
find accomodation via other websites or travel agents.

Best of luck!

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old October 13th 03, 08:58 PM
Johannes

Hi

wrote:

My husband and I (from Boston, MA, US) are considering a January ski
trip to Zermatt. We skiied in Wengen several years ago. While it was
pretty and the skiing varied, we thought we would try Zermatt as we
heard it is the best in Switzerland. However, we are worried about the
reliability of snow in mid-January and also about how expensive it is

I think Zermat could be the expensivst resort in Switzerland.
But at January is it cheaper than the rest of the season. (excluding
november till christmas)

in comparison to Wengen. Can anyone suggest some mid-range
accomodations that have a little style and also decent food. We liked
the way the Monte Rosa and the Romantik Julen websites looked but they

As Ace said, got to
www.zermatt.ch and look after packages. It give
packages: Hotel with Half-board(breakfast and dinner) and
lift-tickets. But take a look after the tickets that is included. Some
include only the Little Matterhorn area, other the whole.

are $$$. Are we likely to have good snow by mid January? Other

Should not be a problem, what could be, that you can't ski down till
the village. What you should rembember. January is the coldest time of
the year. And at this month is it shady. (High mountains around the
village.)

choices are back to Wengen or try Zurs/Lech.

17+18 Jan is the Lauberhorn downhill at Wengen. So it's diffcult to
find a hotel at this time, also is this weekend crowded.

Johannes
Old October 14th 03, 03:28 AM
Nick Higson

Hi Kathy,

My wife and i visited Zermatt over New Year in 2000. We stayed at Hotel Beau
Rivage and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. There were frequent snow falls and
conditions were as good as when we have skied Canada in either Jan or Feb.
Good luck perhaps . In fact we enjoyed our trip so much we are returning
this Xmas and New Year for 2 weeks again staying in Hotel Beau Rivage.
(Perfect location in my view)
If going in mid January you have a good chance for good conditions due
largely to the elevation.

Before our first trip, being concerned with going so early , i reviewed
numerous resorts on the Ski club of Great Britain website. Zermatt had good
snow and combined well with our other requirements , scenery, village
ambiance, shopping etc.

As for accomodation aside from Beau Rivage I have heard good reports on
Hotel Simi. What people consider to be a reasoable cost is relative , but I
would be happy with either of these.

Good luck in your planning.

Cheers

Nick
om...

Old October 14th 03, 08:02 AM
fawlty

Oh wise amongst the wise,
the Arlberg area includes the Lech, Zürs & StAnton resorts, which is
one of the alternatives Kathy mentioned, so I thought I could maybe
help there.
When will people actually read mails, I wonder.

"InMyTree" wrote in message ...
Yeh.. and I've skiied in Australia in August.. has nothing to do with
Zermatt in January though..

"fawlty" wrote in message
m...

. com...

Old October 14th 03, 09:06 AM
Nick Higson

as an aside I went to Lech last January and also had a thoroughly good time.
Heaps of snow and stayed at Haldenhof Hotel which I would also strongly
recommend. In fact I can't think of a bad ski trip I have had
..........always beats work

"Nick Higson" wrote in message
[...]

om...

Old October 19th 03, 09:28 PM
Michael Chare

"Kathy Born" wrote in message
om...
My husband and I (from Boston, MA, US) are considering a January ski
trip to Zermatt. We skiied in Wengen several years ago. While it was
pretty and the skiing varied, we thought we would try Zermatt as we
heard it is the best in Switzerland. However, we are worried about the
reliability of snow in mid-January

I went to Zermatt in January in 2002 and 2003. We certainly had enough snow to
enjoy the holiday.
In 2002 we were there for the first 2 weeks and there was not a great deal of
snow. Stockhorn and Hohtalli were always closed as were some of the runs in
Cervinia. We could get there almost every day and I found out the hard way that
you should take you passport or identity card with you!

In 2003 we were there for the last two weeks. The main problem was that it was
unusually cold and often the Klein Matterhorn was closed because of the
temperature. (-28C) Hohtalli was open some of the time, but not Stockhorn. Most
if not all the runs in Cervinia were open but we only made it over there a
couple of times because the lifts were closed (or the conditions were marginal
enough for me to worry about the return.).

and also about how expensive it is in comparison to Wengen.

Based on a brief look at a Ski brochure I would expect you to pay a little more
in Zermatt, but I would say definitely worth it. (I went to Murren in Dec 2000)

Can anyone suggest some mid-range accomodations that have a little style
and also decent food. We liked the way the Monte Rosa

Large expensive 4 star hotel. A small 3 star hotel could be less than half the
price.

If you look at the web sites for the UK tour operators you will get and idea of
what you can get for your money. The prices shown are in GBP and include a
flight from the UK and local transport which accounts for about £200 of the
selling price

http://www.thomson-ski.com/

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/

www.inghams.co.uk