Setting up telemark skies.

Old November 14th 03, 05:23 AM
skibum

Default Setting up telemark skies.

Hi folks,

I was hoping for some advice. I have decided to cross over from
alpine and take up telemarking. In September, off ebay, I picked up
some some demo 191 cm rossignol big band mounted with 03 model - G3
Targa bindings. I was also able to get a pair of lightly used size 12
scarpa terminators, black with three buckets. The boots actually fit
like gloves.

Even nicer, the boot and the binding are size compatable. My
challenge is how tight should I turn the adjusters. How much tension
should there be on the springs and how difficult should it be to to
flick the back heel piece lever on the bindings.

If this was alpine, I would have down pat.

thanks,
Mark
Old November 14th 03, 08:32 AM
Peter Clinch

skibum wrote:

Even nicer, the boot and the binding are size compatable. My
challenge is how tight should I turn the adjusters. How much tension
should there be on the springs and how difficult should it be to to
flick the back heel piece lever on the bindings.

Tighter will give you more fine control, but unless you're doing mad
things straight away there's no point in getting too carried away. The
throw should be reasonably easy to operate with one hand for normal
skiing just for convenience's sake.

If it's too loose you'll keep falling over as your boots pop out, so
that should be easy enough to spot! ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old November 15th 03, 04:18 PM
Tommy T.

I believe that email and new group communication works best when it is
informal and not subject to proof reading and grammer checking. I make
typo, spelling errors and other mistakes in my posting all the time.

Mark's subject header sent me to my reference sources, just out of
curiousity, and I found it interesting that "ski" may be a self-plural like
"deer." One may correctly write "The length of ski vary, although they are
becoming shorter with technological change."

The Oxford English Dictionary dates the first attested English appearance of
the word to 1885 when it appeared in a book on the Aurora Borealis; followed
by the first popular usage in 1893 when the Daily Graphic carried an article
with a reference to "Fourteen pairs of ash and sycamore ski . . . some being
ten feet in length."

Oh well, maybe it'll snow soon.

Tommy T.

Old November 15th 03, 09:52 PM
David Dermott

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Tommy T. wrote:

Mark's subject header sent me to my reference sources, just out of
curiosity, and I found it interesting that "ski" may be a self-plural like
"deer." One may correctly write "The length of ski vary, although they are
becoming shorter with technological change."

Ski usually come in pairs, like "pants". :-)

I assume that the older English use of plural "ski" is
following the Norwegian use. I can't find the exact references in
my "Self-Taught Norwegian" textbooks, but I remember that
many Norwegian nouns of one syllable are the same in the indefinite
plural as in the singular. But I have seen the spelling "skia".
What's that ? A Nynorsk spelling? a feminine form? plural? (Asking
the "norske folk" in the group)

When Fridtjof Nansen's "På Ski over Grønland" was translated into
English (about 1890), the translator couldn't find a suitable word in the
Norwegian-English dictionary so he used quotation marks around "ski". The
translator also noted that the word in his N-E dictionary for "ski" was
"snowshoes" which is more appropriate for the N "truger".

I have seen some 1870s translations of Norwegian literature
that translated "ski" as "snowshoes". For instance, the
fairy tale where Askeladden uses a pair of magic ski.
Magic snowshoes don't work quite as well!

Oh, also there's "Snowshoe Thompson" which really should be "Ski
Thompson" (he carried mail across the Sierra Nevada, 1870s)
(real name Jon Torsteinson Rue, born 1825 in Tinn, Telemark)

Early 1900s English use also spelled it "shee". My
mother has a dictionary (1930s) that spells it "ski" both sing.
and plur. and gives the pronunciation "shee". I'm
not sure if the dictionary was a US or British standard.
My grade 5 teacher also pronounced it "shee".

I've been curious about "ski" in German. My German-English dictionary
(1957) spells it "schi", which I presume takes the Norwegian
pronunciation. But most of the German writings I see spell it "ski". Is
that a newer spelling, (or Austrian or Swiss?) and does it use the
Norwegian or US pronunciation?

PS- about 2 mm on snow on the grass here today, but I haven't been
on my ski in singular or plural!

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old November 16th 03, 12:49 PM
Martin Thornquist

[ David Dermott ]

I assume that the older English use of plural "ski" is
following the Norwegian use. I can't find the exact references in
my "Self-Taught Norwegian" textbooks, but I remember that
many Norwegian nouns of one syllable are the same in the indefinite
plural as in the singular. But I have seen the spelling "skia".
What's that ? A Nynorsk spelling? a feminine form? plural? (Asking
the "norske folk" in the group)

"Ski" is the indefinite form (both singular and plural), "skia" is
definite (well I'm not quite sure that's the right word -- "bestemt
form" in Norwegian); some specific ski. In bokmål/riksmål (the forms
of Norwegian most influenced by Danish) one can also say "skien"
(singular)/"skiene" (plural).

Early 1900s English use also spelled it "shee". My
mother has a dictionary (1930s) that spells it "ski" both sing.
and plur. and gives the pronunciation "shee". I'm
not sure if the dictionary was a US or British standard.
My grade 5 teacher also pronounced it "shee".

For clarity, this is more or less the way "ski" is pronounced in
Norwegian (with a moderately short "ee").

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp
Old November 18th 03, 01:40 AM
Lew Lasher

Early 1900s English use also spelled it "shee". My
mother has a dictionary (1930s) that spells it "ski" both sing.
and plur. and gives the pronunciation "shee". I'm
not sure if the dictionary was a US or British standard.
My grade 5 teacher also pronounced it "shee".

For clarity, this is more or less the way "ski" is pronounced in
Norwegian (with a moderately short "ee").

This year I'm trying to learn Italian, and I was pleased to see that
Italian preserves the Norwegian pronunciation: under Italian spelling
rules, the noun for skis or skiing is "sci" (same for singular and
plural). The verb is "sciare" (shee-AR-eh).

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont

Old November 18th 03, 07:07 AM
Martin Thornquist

[ Lew Lasher ]

This year I'm trying to learn Italian, and I was pleased to see that
Italian preserves the Norwegian pronunciation: under Italian spelling
rules, the noun for skis or skiing is "sci" (same for singular and
plural). The verb is "sciare" (shee-AR-eh).

Interestingly, Norwegian does not have any verb for "skiing". We're
"walking on ski" or "driving on ski" (downhill), and it can be a bit
of a pain at times to find the right wording.

Martin
Old November 19th 03, 04:23 AM
lal truckee

David Dermott wrote:

Oh, also there's "Snowshoe Thompson" which really should be "Ski
Thompson" (he carried mail across the Sierra Nevada, 1870s)
(real name Jon Torsteinson Rue, born 1825 in Tinn, Telemark)

The ski racers in the 1860s California mining camps called their ski
"snowshoes" so "Snowshoe Thompson" was appropriately named. First
big-money ski racing - $1000s exchanged hands (in the form of gold dust,
often.)

Old November 19th 03, 04:59 PM
Dingus Milktoast

"lal truckee" wrote in message
David Dermott wrote:

Oh, also there's "Snowshoe Thompson" which really should be "Ski
Thompson" (he carried mail across the Sierra Nevada, 1870s)
(real name Jon Torsteinson Rue, born 1825 in Tinn, Telemark)

The ski racers in the 1860s California mining camps called their ski
"snowshoes" so "Snowshoe Thompson" was appropriately named. First
big-money ski racing - $1000s exchanged hands (in the form of gold dust,
often.)

Those miner snowshoers kicked Thompson's ass but good, too.

At the top of Carson Pass on Hwy 88 is a stone obelisk dedicated to Snowshoe
Thompson. Carson Pass is at the foot of Red Lake Peak. This was the first
documented mountain "climbed by a white man" in the Sierra Nevada, by John
Fremont and his map maker Pruess. Also the first sighting of Lake Bigler
(later to be renamed Tahoe).

I routinely ski Red Lake Peak a few times a year. Pretty easy to get in two
or more runs on this mountain. In doing so I am following in some HUGE snow
prints! It pleases me to think of such things as I skin up to the summit for
the 2000' ride back down.

John Fremont was a question on Jeopardy last night. The answer? He was the
first person to run for president as a Republican. I knew the answer and my
wife just sort of looked at me, like, how in the Hell does a Tennessee boy
know something like that.

It's all in the skis. And the love I have for this mountain range.

Huh?

Sorry!

I digress.

I'll stick with "skis" thanks. Reminds me of the rocket scientist who
insisted the correct pronunciation of Tuolumne is "Two Ah Loom Nay." He may
be right... but he's still an moron for using it! Everyone knows its "Two
Awl O Me"

Rambling on...

DMT

Old November 19th 03, 09:15 PM
AES/newspost

In article ,
"Dingus Milktoast" wrote:

At the top of Carson Pass on Hwy 88 is a stone obelisk dedicated to Snowshoe
Thompson. Carson Pass is at the foot of Red Lake Peak. This was the first
documented mountain "climbed by a white man" in the Sierra Nevada, by John
Fremont and his map maker Pruess. Also the first sighting of Lake Bigler
(later to be renamed Tahoe).

I routinely ski Red Lake Peak a few times a year. Pretty easy to get in two
or more runs on this mountain. In doing so I am following in some HUGE snow
prints! It pleases me to think of such things as I skin up to the summit for
the 2000' ride back down.

I *really* want to get up there this winter for exactly the same
sentimental reasons. Any advice on easiest route to reach a point where
you can at least glimpse the Lake, for a 72-year-old, healthy but no
mountain man, whose more usual day trips are to climb slowly maybe 800'
vertical feet on fishscale backcountry skiis up one of the ridges on
either side of Tahoe Mdws (aka Mt. Rose Mdws) and very cautiously
traverse back down.

(GPS coordinates for such a route welcomed; I've been to the parking
area on the N side of 88 at the top of Carson Pass a couple of winters
ago.)