OK, so Copper ****ed me off...

Old November 4th 03, 04:49 PM
Chester Bullock

Default OK, so Copper ****ed me off...

And now I am spending an inordinate amount of time looking into how much
they deceive the public. No more than the other resorts I am sure, but
since they saw fit to censor me, I am digging deeper into things.

Here is something disturbing I found on their website in the jobs area.
This position reports to the Marketing dept.

Snow Reporter
A part time, seasonal position to start 11/01. Hours are 5:15am to
8:15am, varied days, two days per week. To assist the Copper Mountain
communications manager, communications coordinator, marketing
coordinator, ski patrol and guest services departments in all facets of
daily internal and external snow reporting. Additional duties will
include assisting the marketing department in all aspects of marketing
and internal and external communications to further develop and enhance
the image of the resort to the public. General qualifications
and responsibilities include the ability to quickly develop a vast
knowledge of Copper Mountain, its services and personnel, in order to
convey the Copper Mountain message in all reports. Applicant must have
the ability to speak clearly and concisely in a “brand-enforcing”
tone for radio call-ins; able to think, write and communicate in a
creative and effective manner; have a strong interest in the ski and
snowboard industry and possess strong clerical and organizational skills.

I remember that when I worked there, the ski patrol was the responsible
group for the snow report. I set up a program for them that faxed the
snow report out to all of the media outlets after they came off the
mountain with the information. Worked pretty well. Now they could
easily do it through XML and a web interface of course. Back to the
subject at hand. It appears that they pay people to taint the true snow
report with whatever "brand-enforcing" data they want. This is
ridiculous. I don't need to be marketed to. I want a nice place to
ski, with easy access, and reasonably priced lift tickets. I love
skiing Copper, I truly do. Getting into and out of that place is an
absolute nightmare though, and when you compare their pass prices to
what I can get from KAB for a few dollars more, the decision is a
no-brainer. I hate Keystone, and doubt that I will go there this year.
But between Breck and A-Basin, I will be a happy guy. Even happier
when it doesn't take me over an hour to get out of the damned parking lot.

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old November 4th 03, 08:24 PM
Sam Seiber

Chester Bullock wrote:
Snow Reporter
A part time, seasonal position to start 11/01. Hours are 5:15am to
8:15am, varied days, two days per week. To assist the Copper Mountain

snip

Sooooo, it looks like Copper doesn't have anyone to go up and get
the numbers for the 2PM Colorado Ski Country USA snow report.

But between Breck and A-Basin, I will be a happy guy. Even happier
when it doesn't take me over an hour to get out of the damned parking lot.

Gotta a 4 pack for Copper, but I will be found mostly at A-Basin &
Loveland (have season passes for each of 'em).

Sam "2 jobs, can't take time off to ski, ......, yet" Seiber

Old November 4th 03, 08:52 PM
bdubya

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:49:43 CST, Chester Bullock
wrote:

And now I am spending an inordinate amount of time looking into how much
they deceive the public. No more than the other resorts I am sure, but
since they saw fit to censor me,

(snipt)

ITYM "..saw fit to moderate me". snork

Jeezis, will they actually let the "snow reporter" on the hill? Or
will they just sit him/her in front of a WebTV to check the reports
from Vail and Breck and then "brand-enforce" an appropriate (i.e.
competitive) snowfall amount?

bw

Old November 4th 03, 09:32 PM
uglymoney

wrote:

And now I am spending an inordinate amount of time looking into how much
they deceive the public. No more than the other resorts I am sure, but
since they saw fit to censor me,

(snipt)

ITYM "..saw fit to moderate me". snork

Jeezis, will they actually let the "snow reporter" on the hill? Or
will they just sit him/her in front of a WebTV to check the reports
from Vail and Breck and then "brand-enforce" an appropriate (i.e.
competitive) snowfall amount?

I wonder if "brand-enforced tone" means that any snow
reporter would have to talk 'colorado' style with an
authentic Coloradan accent.

"like right on, its a bluebird day at Copper Mountain and
the snow is great, right on right on. Right on. RIGHT ON.
Its deep enough to call it powder PACKED powder. Deeper
than Iowa anyway - right on? so come on over and ski Copper.
"

This means that I could never get a job as the Colorado
branded Copper model manning the snowphone even if I had -
and I don't - a bogus MBA from one of those night schools
that teach 'networking' and a crapped out marketing degree
for a school out east with more phoney Ivy than skier days.
The Colorado accent is beyond my reach, I could never
represent the "Brand"

I'm going to apply for the Sundown snowphone guy. Iowans
are known for their honesty.

"Its fake today and everyday. Icy and fake. Live band
every Saturday, so come on up and get drunk. I'll be the
drunk guy next to the drunk guy gawlking and sometimes
drooling at the snowboaders mothers reading books in the
windows as they fatten themselves on Kahula while enjoying
their last couple of years of good looks before fattening
themselves beyond brand recognition at which point they will
wait for their kids in their sagging minivans. So come on
over and ski Sundown, Iowas finest resort"

nate

Old November 4th 03, 09:47 PM
Chester Bullock

uglymoney wrote:

I wonder if "brand-enforced tone" means that any snow
reporter would have to talk 'colorado' style with an
authentic Coloradan accent.

Dude, we don't have accents here.

"Its fake today and everyday. Icy and fake. Live band
every Saturday, so come on up and get drunk. I'll be the
drunk guy next to the drunk guy gawlking and sometimes
drooling at the snowboaders mothers reading books in the
windows as they fatten themselves on Kahula while enjoying
their last couple of years of good looks before fattening
themselves beyond brand recognition at which point they will
wait for their kids in their sagging minivans. So come on
over and ski Sundown, Iowas finest resort"

Sounds like a splendid report to me. I could never do the snowphone
thing either. See http://makeashorterlink.com/?D58221176 for proof.

Old November 4th 03, 09:54 PM
Sam Seiber

uglymoney wrote:
"like right on, its a bluebird day at Copper Mountain and
the snow is great, right on right on. Right on. RIGHT ON.
Its deep enough to call it powder PACKED powder. Deeper
than Iowa anyway - right on? so come on over and ski Copper.
"

I just love the how the snow reports after a week and a half
of no new snow still report powder packed powder. Really??
First rule for a Colorado snow reporter, "There is no hardpack".
See thru ice=packed powder. Damn, maybe I should apply for the
job. Right on.

Sam "Right on in Colorado" Seiber

Old November 7th 03, 07:26 PM
uglymoney

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:47:53 CST, Chester Bullock
wrote:

uglymoney wrote:

I wonder if "brand-enforced tone" means that any snow
reporter would have to talk 'colorado' style with an
authentic Coloradan accent.

Dude, we don't have accents here.

Heehaha!

I met a girl in Australia, talked to her for two minutes,
and told her she was from Colorado, and lilkely lived around
a half hour north of Denver (I guessed this from what she
was smoking).

I was right. A Boulderite. Never saw her again, though I
heard she met one of those Ozonians, and hauled him back to
Denver to ruin his accent slowly as he suffers from the
perils of being married.

nate

Old November 7th 03, 07:28 PM
uglymoney

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:54:12 CST, Sam Seiber
wrote:

I just love the how the snow reports after a week and a half
of no new snow still report powder packed powder. Really??
First rule for a Colorado snow reporter, "There is no hardpack".
See thru ice=packed powder. Damn, maybe I should apply for the
job. Right on.

Sam you are right on.

In the spring is it slushy powder or wet packed powder?

nate

Old November 7th 03, 07:59 PM
Chester Bullock

wrote:

uglymoney wrote:

I wonder if "brand-enforced tone" means that any snow
reporter would have to talk 'colorado' style with an
authentic Coloradan accent.

Dude, we don't have accents here.

Heehaha!

I met a girl in Australia, talked to her for two minutes,
and told her she was from Colorado, and lilkely lived around
a half hour north of Denver (I guessed this from what she
was smoking).

I was right. A Boulderite. Never saw her again, though I
heard she met one of those Ozonians, and hauled him back to
Denver to ruin his accent slowly as he suffers from the
perils of being married.

nate

While I would still maintain we do not have accents, the people of the
Republic of Boulder are another breed entirely, and are indeed easily
identified. I drive out of this town as fast as I can after the workday
is done. I do wait for Beer Friday to occur on Fridays first though...

Old November 7th 03, 08:49 PM
uglymoney

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:59:35 CST, Chester Bullock
wrote:

While I would still maintain we do not have accents, the people of the
Republic of Boulder are another breed entirely, and are indeed easily
identified. I drive out of this town as fast as I can after the workday
is done. I do wait for Beer Friday to occur on Fridays first though...

Hey, speaking of which, its beer-thirty!

Gotta get to Iowa City. Peoples Republic of Iowa. These
republics are good places to find beer.

nate