Which pocket for camcorder?

Old January 26th 04, 06:37 PM
Iain D

Default Which pocket for camcorder?

I want to do some riding with a highly accessible camcorder - my
experience with a still camera is that you miss a lot of shots if it's
in your backpack.
So which pocket should it go in to minimise risk of damage to the
camcorder and to me?
A chest pocket seems safest for the camcorder but I don't fancy a
camcorder imprint in my chest if I fall - then again I rarely fall
directly on my chest, and the snow will be soft. Alternatives would be
lower jacket pocket or trouser (pants) pocket - probably safer for me
but not for the camcorder.
Thanks for any advice/experiences.

--
IainD at ukme dot me dot uk
Old January 26th 04, 06:40 PM
cupra

Iain D wrote:
I want to do some riding with a highly accessible camcorder - my
experience with a still camera is that you miss a lot of shots if it's
in your backpack.
So which pocket should it go in to minimise risk of damage to the
camcorder and to me?
A chest pocket seems safest for the camcorder but I don't fancy a
camcorder imprint in my chest if I fall - then again I rarely fall
directly on my chest, and the snow will be soft. Alternatives would be
lower jacket pocket or trouser (pants) pocket - probably safer for me
but not for the camcorder.
Thanks for any advice/experiences.

I always use chest pockets for cameras/walkie talkies etc, and I've =
avoided breaking anything for at least 6 years!

--=20
cupra (remove nospam please to mail)

Old January 26th 04, 11:21 PM
Tony

I always carry mine on my belt, that way its protected by your jacket and
easilly accesible.
That way it's comfortable unlike carrying on your chest.

Have Fun...

"Iain D" schreef in bericht

Old January 27th 04, 06:30 PM
Dismantler

"Iain D" wrote in message
I want to do some riding with a highly accessible camcorder - my
experience with a still camera is that you miss a lot of shots if it's
in your backpack.
So which pocket should it go in to minimise risk of damage to the
camcorder and to me?
A chest pocket seems safest for the camcorder but I don't fancy a
camcorder imprint in my chest if I fall - then again I rarely fall
directly on my chest, and the snow will be soft. Alternatives would be
lower jacket pocket or trouser (pants) pocket - probably safer for me
but not for the camcorder.
Thanks for any advice/experiences.

--
IainD at ukme dot me dot uk

I have always used the lower jacket pocket on the left side (I ride
regular). It's very difficult to fall on that spot, but we need to be
talking a relatively small camcorder to pull this one off - better yet if
you can move it inside your jacket (my jacket has an indoor pocket, but it's
not zippable

}:^(

I've also only done this with cameras (digital and still). I also have the
added plus that the camera I use for this purpose is a Canon Sport Elph
(supposedly waterproof to 16 feet if seal is intact - haven't had the guts
to test THAT yet).

I've also had probs with the camcorder getting so cold that all I can get is
a few minutes of footage. Try wrapping it in the extra fleece/thin sweater
you carry in your backpack. An additional precaution I always take is to
wrap the respective device in the (removed) Gore-tex hood of my jacket. It's
hard to be TOO careful with small, electronic devices costing several
hundred dollars.

I don't have to bother as much with the Elph, I just toss it in pocket
(lower front left, again) and ensure I've put the cover on, to keep crap off
the lens...) Oh yeah, and ensure that my pocket is zipped (three times).
That would be an expensive loss G.