What's your Goal?

Old April 28th 04, 06:00 PM
Chris Cline

Default What's your Goal?

Hi All-
I've been pretty quite on this NG lately-- been very
busy with things, but have been lurking, lurking.

One of the things I've been busy with is Training!
I've set myself a semi-audacious goal (for me) of
doing the Lake Tahoe Rim Run 50 mile trail race**, in
July. One of the things I've noticed is that as I've
told people I'm going to do this, I've made it more
"real" for myself that I really am going to do it-- in
other words, it's more of a committment when you tell
someone else than if you just tell yourself.

So, I was wondering-- what big training/racing (or
other) goals do other NG'ers have this summer? Tell
us, and we'll help you hold you to it, and offer
encouragement along the way. At least that's what I'm
hoping to get out of sharing my goal!

Chris Cline
SLC, UT

**PS-- Mark Nadell, if you're out there-- this is
partly your fault from showing me where the rim trail
route went on that ski tour we did at Tahoe Donner! Thanks!

Old April 28th 04, 07:06 PM
Jeff Potter

Yeah, talking hurts sometimes. : )

Well, you've sure picked a big goal! Good luck with it!

I think my goal is the same as last year: to lose another 10 lbs and
improve on power.

I did lose 10 lbs and gain power last year, and so met that goal, and it
felt so good during most of my ski/training year that I'm sure that
losing another 10 lbs and gaining more power will only be better. It
sure makes going up hills tons easier. I wouldn't mind also making sure
that I stay broad-range-motion fit as well, so I hope I can keep doing
my backyard stuff this summer. That's my goals. But ya know, there are
more important things really: I gotta try to make a go of this OYB
stuff. That's most important. And next is to spend quality time with the
family at our new upnorth spot, to start showing and teaching the kids
more things. Then there's the house and yard chores. Then comes my
fitness goals. They're 4th in line. So we'll see.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old April 28th 04, 07:22 PM
Rob Bradlee

The usual:

Mount Washington Road Race in June (7.6 miles and 4800 ft of climb).

Wapack Trail Race on Labor Day (18 miles and 3,000 feet of up and
DOWN).

Rob Bradlee

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old April 29th 04, 12:25 AM
Trukweaz

No Mt Washington for me! Maybe the Wapack if it fits in, but I'm trying to move
up in the Xterra (off road tri's) a bit. Tough age group and some guys who
don't really work make it hard. I plan to do a half iron off road too. I am
actually thinking of the half in Park City in July but I don't like high
altitude and July ain't far off!
Old April 29th 04, 01:00 AM
Leland Yee

Get ready for the time trials of the Granite State Senior Games, after
returning from a trip to Italy, where I hope to catch a couple of
stages of the Giro.

Climb enough hills so that the Mt. Washington Century won't hurt too
much.

Leland Yee
Old April 29th 04, 01:20 AM
J999w

No big goals for me ... get enough sleep, get out for 4-5 workouts per week.
This switching between day and night shifts at work is for the birds ! (just
temporary)

John Wilke (jw)
milwaukee
Old April 29th 04, 02:13 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

Congratulations on making your 10 lb off goal, Jeff! I set the same
goal for myself for the winter and issued a little challenge to you
to see who got there first. Now it's time to come clean. I was all
set at one point to declare victory when the scale showed I'd made it,
but I decided to wait a few more days to make sure it really stayed
there. Well. Next came Christmas or one of the colds I caught this
winter and next thing I knew I had 5 lbs to go again. :-( Before I
got it back off again it was time for another wrist surgery and that's
the end of any training for a while.

So now my arm is in a cast again and I refuse to look at the scale
again until it comes back off. Not sure when that will be but I hope
to find out tomorrow. My guess is end of May.

So my goals for the summer:

1. Get the cast off and hopefully be told that my wrist is stabilized
and I won't have to have any more operations on it. (Then maybe I'll
have them look at my shoulder.)

2. Take some fun vacations with the kids (now 3 yrs) camping, hiking,
swimming, kayaking, canoeing (kids LOVE anything involving water).

3. Get back on the bike, finish knocking off that 10 lb goal, and get
in a few late summer training races.

4. Build another bedroom upstairs. (Once I have 2 hands again.)

-Mitch

Old April 29th 04, 11:38 AM
Jay Tegeder

Goals? I've got two. First, I'd like to be able to hang on to the pack
in some of the local bike races. Can you say racing out of your
category? Second, I'd like to improve my golf game. I'm hoping the
used King Cobra clubs I bought will do the that for me... Either way,
it will not bother me much if I don't reach those goals... Hey, I'm
46, who am I kidding...

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT