New ski goal added: to master V2!!!

Old November 2nd 03, 05:10 PM
Jeff Potter

Default New ski goal added: to master V2!!!

I've decided to add mastering V2 to my list of two other goals for the
ski season.

#1: Lose 10 pounds
#2: Gain some power/comfort in the hills
#3: Master the V2.

While at the hammerfest yesterday (see Hoffman def.) it seemed very
clear that the most potent and restful (at the same time) move was the
V2. Yet I could hardly do it! This is quite a challenge for me. I've
always arrogantly thought that I could, in a very relaxed, abandoned
way, do any ski technique, but this one eludes me! Yet I know the
feeling I'm after and so will try to get it. Basically, it's what I said
above: if you can do a move in a relaxed, adandoned way, you're in. A
good test for me for this is if you can do it while steadily looking
down the trail, not anywhere near your equipment. If you can do the move
naturally then, you're in.

My approach is going to use JD's advice and keep working on doing it
right while going SLOW. Then also make sure that when doing intervals I
don't let technique break down at all---I figure that using it in
intervals will work on the 'abandon' angle. To do the interval right
I'll tend to have to forget technique, yet I'll be noticing whether it
holds together or not: mainly I'll notice if I don't get wobbly. If I
can stay balanced for a whole interval in V2, that will be a good sign.

I'll work at it on another front as well: I'm going to see if adding an
extra, wide velcro strap to my boot will give more support and help.
Maybe V2 relies more on equipment and solid stable boots, etc., than
other moves. My worry there is that it might also rely on stable
SKIS---and I think mine are mush-pillows at this point due to my
obesity---but if I can shed that darn 10 lbs (at least) the skis will
appreciate it, too. I figure the lighter I am the more they'll like it,
since I bought them sized for about 165 lbs. I'm at 185 now. If I lose
10 lbs I hope the skis will be there for me in the V2.

So far the latest trick I've discovered for helping my V2 is to make my
arm action more compact. If I keep my arms in close and don't fling them
as much, and do more stomach-crunches on the poles, I feel more stable.
Maybe I can gradually add more extension and abandon.

An angle that seems interesting but perplexing is this idea of not
bringing your feet together: I naturally bring them together but in the
top-dude videos they don't. Maybe there's a stability aspect to what
they're doing. --I think that most aspects of V2 relate to stability!

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old November 3rd 03, 12:58 AM
Dell Todd

Jeff Potter wrote in message ...
I've decided to add mastering V2 to my list

A trick I have been using to gain comfort with extended V2 action it
to begin the balance drill (@ tempo) by throwing two V2 strokes. It
went OK. Now throw three. Then throw five. Etc. After a couple, I may
need to regain balance. I do this by throwing in a V2 Alternate / Open
Field Stroke. I regain my balance, and then I am good to go again. As
I don't have many miles on my rskis (this year or lifetime), it seems
I need to re-learn this balance each time. I wee-two far better after
an hour rskiing. When I get it, I can do it for an entire straight, or
a hill, for minutes. It does elevate the HR, but we call that a
Natural Interval.

While at the hammerfest yesterday (see Hoffman def.)

Let's call it Hamarfest because it sounds much more Scandanavian.

So far the latest trick I've discovered for helping my V2 is to make my
arm action more compact. If I keep my arms in close and don't fling them
as much, and do more stomach-crunches on the poles, I feel more stable.
Maybe I can gradually add more extension and abandon.

Ah so, you have been reading the latest Ski Post from Coach Vordy.
Well done. I think this "easy stroke" is what it's all about. It may
not "feel" fast or feel hard, but it sounds like you have the essence
down, and the speed will just come. What it sounds like you are doing
is the "explode then relax" routine. Jam it down, then glide & relax.
I recall seeing a very quick vignette of Scott Loomis & Nathan Schultz
@ last years snowy Subaru Traverse City Vasa 50k (before Schultzy
skied a Gu into his base - they were still together). You can't
believe how frickin' easy they made it look. Sure they are good, and
when you are good at anything, you make it look easy. I bet Potter
makes raking look easy. But it looked REALLY really easy. And they
were always in that high position, never hunched over, never giving
that long grinding shove from the weak low position. And yet, they
were leading. Hmm.
Old November 3rd 03, 01:20 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

For me, the key thing about learning V2 was doing it in easy
conditions. For me that meant on rollerblades with ski poles. The
balance is pretty easy, and I was able to put it all together pretty
well. The on snow, in decent to good conditions V2 is now simple for
me. On tricky snow, like hard ruts or boilerplate, it's still a
problem, so I guess I haven't "mastered" it yet.

But good conditions (on snow or dryland) are essential to getting a
handle on technique.

JT
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com
Old November 3rd 03, 02:29 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

#1: Lose 10 pounds

since I bought them sized for about 165 lbs. I'm at 185 now. If I lose
10 lbs I hope the skis will be there for me in the V2.

Come on, Jeff. You were at 188 when you announced this goal, when,
mid-summer? I'm giving you a motivational shove here because I was
at 188 at the same time and decided I also need to lose 10 pounds,
followed by another 10. It's slow going here, too, but I'm at 181
now and the only exercise I'm getting is bike-commuting 1 to 4 times
per week. I guess it does help that it's 45 min ride to work and
75 min ride home though (significant elevation difference). So now
we can have competitive weight loss for middle-aged fat dudes.

-Mitch

Old November 3rd 03, 03:55 AM
Jeff Potter

Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

Come on, Jeff. You were at 188 when you announced this goal, when,
mid-summer? I'm giving you a motivational shove here

Grrr, just you wait! I'll be a stick in no time! Actually, it's been 3
weeks of having a snotty cold that set me back. But this summer right when
I was getting serious we decided to do that crazy roadtrip for a month:
thank goodness I only gained 5 lbs or so, maybe 10. So I'm back where I
started kinda. But rarin' to go! I gotta lose that 10! Thankfully I don't
have any prime pilsner in the basement and this year's wine is still too
young.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old November 3rd 03, 03:58 AM
Jeff Potter

Yeah, I'll try those drills.

I'm at the "can do it awhile" stage but that just doesn't hack it in the
real world Hamarfest.

I, too, find it a cinch to do on rollerblades. Gotta get there on skis!
Or, rollerskis anyway.

Yeah, those top dogs are RELAXED. Like I said years ago, it's like
they're doing another sport. Steady head, flicking hands, swimming feet.
They didn't look like citizen skiers that's for sure! But we can work on
looking like them! Like that advice from JD and Vordy: ski perfect and
ski perfect slowly to start.

I got to liking using my classic poles then I saw Vordy's "MS" article
suggesting it. Mindreader!

--

Jeff Potter
****