lifting toes/wax pocket

Old January 27th 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default lifting toes/wax pocket

On Jan 26, 6:44*pm, "Docbyro" wrote:
Terje,

So how do they do it? *Just using the little bit of wax as you mentioned,
and very good technique at setting that wax? *Or is it that they are using
more poles/abdomen to propel themselves?

Brian

"Terje Mathisen" "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" wrote in ...

Brian Pauley wrote:
So then when you see the pros sprint finishing jumping up on their toes,
are
then coming down hard on their heels? *Or are they just overcoming the
closing by their momentum?

No, the classic sprint pros (like the 5 Norwegian guys who finished 1-5 in
the Otepaa (sp?) world cup yesterday) don't need to worry too much about
wax drag because they ski on skis with close to zero grip to begin with..

I.e. I know that after nearly 50 years of classic skiing I still wouldn't
have a chance to ski properly uphill on skis waxed for a pro.

Terje
PS. On the world cup race yesterday, none of the Norwegians used any grip
wax at all, just a rubbed-up grip zone, due to the wet snow coming down..
:-)

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
"almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"- Hide quoted text -

Some use their skate skis waxed 100% for glide as Terje notes and
either their skate poles or classic poles depending on hills and
desired turnover rate.

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old February 2nd 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Eddy Rapid

On Jan 27, 7:19*am, Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
"almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"- Hide quoted text -

Some use their skate skis waxed 100% for glide as Terje notes and
either their skate poles or classic poles depending on hills and
desired turnover rate.

Yes, that is the normal situation on some of the downtown sprint races,
without long/serious uphills.

On the wet day race they did need grip, but made do with a rubbed
surface to give a very small amount of grip with zero icing up.

Terje
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

It's not just for sprint races either: the Norwegian Aukland brothers,
Jorgen/Andres numbers one/two on the Vasaloppet 2008 (90 kms) used
abraded skis with no grip wax, while number three, Swedish Jerry
Ahrlin, used pure skate skis and just double polled the whole darn 90
kms. Vasa is not a very hilly profile, other than the first big hill.
I think the choice of grip wax vs abraded skis is more critically
based on temperature and humidity rather than distance or even course
profile these days. Earlier this season we had just the right
temperature and humidity conditions around +1 on a firm track and I
was double polling up hills on my skate skis that I would not normally
think possible.

The classic diagonal stride technique is being minimized in
competition, and I think it's too bad: it is a beautiful movement when
done well.

Parham.

Boot liner packing in, heel lifting in boots. David Snowboarding 2 December 24th 04 11:53 PM
Bloody Toes Mike Alpine Skiing 18 December 16th 04 04:36 PM
glycogen/protein replenishment (was lifting and sleeping ) Chris Cline Nordic Skiing 5 September 8th 04 02:09 PM
lifting and sleeping Bob Nordic Skiing 15 September 7th 04 08:00 PM
Which pocket for camcorder? Iain D Snowboarding 4 February 6th 04 05:34 PM