centering boot on board

Old March 24th 06, 06:16 PM

Default centering boot on board

Everything I read says to center your boot on the board (heel to toe).
Is this a balance/control thing, or just to minimize toe or heel drag?

For my first two years rode either rentals or bindings that didn't
allow you to adjust heel cup anyway. I recently got bindings that did.
The Technine instructions tell you to position a point around the
front of your ankle over the center of the board. I've ridden 'em that
way a couple of times. My daughter's Rossignol binding instructions say
to make the heel & toe overhang even.

I checked the FAQ and didn't see anything. I'm guessing, it's not a big
deal unless I can tell there's a problem.

Old March 24th 06, 06:28 PM

No problem if your turns are balanced, but maybe a consideration when
you have one good side, and one horrible side turning.
I balance ball of foot for toeside and center of heel for heelside,
which might concur with Technine instructions.

Old March 24th 06, 06:34 PM

Everything I read says to center your boot on the board (heel to toe).
Is this a balance/control thing, or just to minimize toe or heel drag?

For my first two years rode either rentals or bindings that didn't
allow you to adjust heel cup anyway. I recently got bindings that did.
The Technine instructions tell you to position a point around the
front of your ankle over the center of the board. I've ridden 'em that
way a couple of times. My daughter's Rossignol binding instructions say
to make the heel & toe overhang even.

I always balance the overhang . (On plates, it's either right at the edge
or a little underhang.) I find unbalanced overhang causes problems, and
find that I get used to any rebalancing that needs to be done to balance
overhang within a run and I never think about iot after that.

Mike T

Old March 25th 06, 09:50 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Everything I read says to center your boot on the board (heel to toe).
Is this a balance/control thing, or just to minimize toe or heel drag?

For my first two years rode either rentals or bindings that didn't
allow you to adjust heel cup anyway. I recently got bindings that did.
The Technine instructions tell you to position a point around the
front of your ankle over the center of the board. I've ridden 'em that
way a couple of times. My daughter's Rossignol binding instructions say
to make the heel & toe overhang even.

I checked the FAQ and didn't see anything. I'm guessing, it's not a big
deal unless I can tell there's a problem.

put your board on the floor, strap yourself and tip your board toe and heel
side few times. you'll see if your feet are not properly centred one side
will go much harder than the other. by looking a boot position it is hard to
properly position your fore and aft of binding, that should be a starting
position only as different boots, feet size and bindings will act
differently. further more depending of the riding style maybe you would like
to go a bit of centre since usually riders have one side better than the
other, but that you can fine-tune with a highback angle...

d'amir

Old March 26th 06, 04:04 PM

In .com myusenetacct@
gmail.com wrote:
Everything I read says to center your boot on the board (heel to toe).
Is this a balance/control thing, or just to minimize toe or heel drag?

It's a little bit of both.

But basically, if it doesn't feel wrong, it probably isn't. If you're
too far back, you'll have difficulty initiating and controlling turns on
the toe-side. It's less of an issue the other way, because you have far
more leverage on the heelside edge. But if it doesn't feel wrong, it
probably isn't, and you can spend a lot of time (that would be better
spent riding) messing around adjusting things with no real improvement.

If your draggin boot on one side, you probably need to centre. If you're
draggin on both sides you need a wider board or a set of PLS.
Old March 27th 06, 03:11 PM

Mike T wrote:

I always balance the overhang . (On plates, it's either right at the edge
or a little underhang.) I find unbalanced overhang causes problems, and
find that I get used to any rebalancing that needs to be done to balance
overhang within a run and I never think about iot after that.

Mike T

Mike - so this means you might have front and rear plates centered
differently? I was thinking about this the other day as when the
snow gets really warm and sloppy I tend to have a lot of braking
action under my front foot on heel edge which I never really notice
in normal snow conditions. As it seems to manifest itself mostly
on heel edge and not toe I wondered if maybe I've been riding off
center all this time?

mike
Old March 28th 06, 03:46 AM

Mike - so this means you might have front and rear plates centered
differently?

Yes. On my Wide 161, one of my binding disks is centered and the other one
is pushed all the way toeside. I can't recall which is which... I'd have
to go look in the garage... but if I leave 'em both centered I boot out
heelside way too easily.

#$^$$ Salomon SP6 bindings - no way to slide the heel cup in and out. The
straps and HB are so comfy.... but that lack of adjustability sucks. If I
rode soft more often, I would have bought something else that afforded the
desired adjustability by now.

Mike T

Old March 28th 06, 06:53 AM

Mike T wrote:
Mike - so this means you might have front and rear plates centered
differently?

Yes. On my Wide 161, one of my binding disks is centered and the other one
is pushed all the way toeside. I can't recall which is which... I'd have
to go look in the garage... but if I leave 'em both centered I boot out
heelside way too easily.

#$^$$ Salomon SP6 bindings - no way to slide the heel cup in and out. The
straps and HB are so comfy.... but that lack of adjustability sucks. If I
rode soft more often, I would have bought something else that afforded the
desired adjustability by now.

Mike T

Those Catek Freerides had movable heelcup and toeramp. Although I would
have preferred something hat didn't use screws (that need periodic
tightening). Those Salomons have really big heelcups, I dug my SP4
shaped into the snow on heelsides as well.

Old April 3rd 06, 08:58 PM

Marcus 'Dr'Dee wrote:
In .com myusenetacct@
gmail.com wrote:
Everything I read says to center your boot on the board (heel to toe).
Is this a balance/control thing, or just to minimize toe or heel drag?

It's a little bit of both.

But basically, if it doesn't feel wrong, it probably isn't. If you're
too far back, you'll have difficulty initiating and controlling turns on
the toe-side. It's less of an issue the other way, because you have far
more leverage on the heelside edge. But if it doesn't feel wrong, it
probably isn't, and you can spend a lot of time (that would be better
spent riding) messing around adjusting things with no real improvement.

Yea, I just realize that was what was causing me to have some toeside
carving issues with my new board, which was wider by nearly a
centimeter (from 24.3cm to 25.2cm waist), At first I just assumed it
was the board lacking in edge hold, but that didn'tmake sense since my
heelsides were still very good. Then I assumed it was my older boots
which have softened up noticeably... however when I switched to a
stiffer pair (Salomon Malamutes) that helped a little, I still noticed
that something didn't feel quite right. Finally, jujst I was planning
on building a third strap to add to the bindings, I noticed that my
boots were underhanging on the toeside by about .5 cm and rotated my
discs so I could shift the bindings towards the toeside about .5 cm.
Finally this did the trick into getting the ride to feel more "normal"

Old April 5th 06, 07:54 PM

My last post didn't seem to make it onto the group. I was just saying
that I recently moved to a wider board (from 24.4cm to 25.2cm) and
switched my bindings. The ride was ok, but I definitely felt some wrong
with my toesides. I assumed it was due to my boots getting to be too
soft and so I replaced them with Salomon Malamutes... even after that I
didn't quite feel I was getting the leverage I wanted and was
considering adding a third strap to my bindings when I noticed that my
boots were underhanging by like like half a centimeter. Luckily inserts
were exactly at the stance width I wanted so I rotated the discs 90
degrees and then shifted my bindings 1 cm towards the toeside and this
dramatically improved the ride. Thinking back, I noticed this issues
with the bindings before on my powder board... but I just assumed that
was because it was a bit wide (25.5) and not because of the bindings
(when I put it on my other freeride board which was 24.0 cm I didn't
have these leverage issues).

In summary, I am strongly for having a tiny bit of overhang (0.1-0.5cm)
with strap bindings (plate bindings is a different issue).

Marcus 'Dr'Dee wrote:
In .com myusenetacct@
gmail.com wrote:
Everything I read says to center your boot on the board (heel to toe).
Is this a balance/control thing, or just to minimize toe or heel drag?

It's a little bit of both.

But basically, if it doesn't feel wrong, it probably isn't. If you're
too far back, you'll have difficulty initiating and controlling turns on
the toe-side. It's less of an issue the other way, because you have far
more leverage on the heelside edge. But if it doesn't feel wrong, it
probably isn't, and you can spend a lot of time (that would be better
spent riding) messing around adjusting things with no real improvement.

If your draggin boot on one side, you probably need to centre. If you're
draggin on both sides you need a wider board or a set of PLS.

trying to determine a good board for my needs [email protected] Snowboarding 30 May 19th 05 02:44 PM
advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 12:00 AM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 02:08 PM
Salomon 9 vs Carbon Griss Nordic Skiing 9 January 6th 04 04:25 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 05:22 PM