Shrink Wrapping board for storage

Old April 12th 06, 01:21 AM

Default Shrink Wrapping board for storage

I got my hands on a roll of shrink wrap that my snowboard fits in. We live
in an area that has major salt in the air so the edges on our boards get
rusty between seasons.

Does anyone know of any negative reason if we shrink wrap the entire board
during the off-season? Like if the board needs to "breath" or if trapped
humid air can ruin the board, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Old April 12th 06, 04:15 AM

Miles wrote:
I got my hands on a roll of shrink wrap that my snowboard fits in. We live
in an area that has major salt in the air so the edges on our boards get
rusty between seasons.

Does anyone know of any negative reason if we shrink wrap the entire board
during the off-season? Like if the board needs to "breath" or if trapped
humid air can ruin the board, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Assuming the board doesn't have any core shots or other serious damage.
It should be fine although perhaps unnecessary (cold rubbing wax onto
the edges works equally or even better since it can better coat the
steel). The only way I can think of how they could be salt in the air
is if you live near the ocean and there is a constant ocean spray in
the air.

Old April 12th 06, 12:31 PM

problem with shrink wrapping is you can't eliminate all the moisture
from between the board and the wrap. A little gets in and while you
are thinkin you're good to go...imagine opening that"gift" after Turkey
Day to find pitted edges...just rub the wax on first and let it hang
upside down (to preserve camber) suspended from the tip and tail if you
want to be anal about everything.

Old April 12th 06, 05:34 PM

"lonerider" wrote in message
oups.com...

Miles wrote:
I got my hands on a roll of shrink wrap that my snowboard fits in. We
live
in an area that has major salt in the air so the edges on our boards get
rusty between seasons.

Does anyone know of any negative reason if we shrink wrap the entire
board
during the off-season? Like if the board needs to "breath" or if trapped
humid air can ruin the board, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Assuming the board doesn't have any core shots or other serious damage.
It should be fine although perhaps unnecessary (cold rubbing wax onto
the edges works equally or even better since it can better coat the
steel). The only way I can think of how they could be salt in the air
is if you live near the ocean and there is a constant ocean spray in
the air.

Yes, I live in Hawaii with the tradewinds blowing salt air into the home.

"cold rubbing wax" -- is this like rubbing surfboard wax onto a surfboard,
but using ski/snowboard wax on the rails? I tried that and found rust
within a couple of months. I was lucky enough to go on 3 snowboarding trips
this season and had to clear the rust from the edges each time. Maybe I
didn't rub enough wax on?

Old April 12th 06, 05:53 PM

Miles wrote:
Yes, I live in Hawaii with the tradewinds blowing salt air into the home.

"cold rubbing wax" -- is this like rubbing surfboard wax onto a surfboard,
but using ski/snowboard wax on the rails? I tried that and found rust
within a couple of months. I was lucky enough to go on 3 snowboarding trips
this season and had to clear the rust from the edges each time. Maybe I
didn't rub enough wax on?

Yes, that's what I mean. If that doesn't work, you can just drip hot
wax onto the edges as well. Try rubbing it on as much as you can like a
crayon. Then when coating the base of your board with a thick coat, rub
some of the liquid wax over the edge. BTW, you should wipe down your
board with a wet cloth to remove residual salt (and sounds like you
will have to do this some where inland). Because wax or shrink wrap...
if you do it AFTER salt gets on your board... you are still stuck.

Either way, rusty edges are 90% cosmetic and can be buffed away by a
soft gummy stone at the start of the season (although I've never had my
boards constantly subjected to salty moist air).

new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
Board spec question and the Burton Baron Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 2 April 11th 05 05:42 PM
Vinyl heat shrink wrapping carbon poles. Booker C. Bense Backcountry Skiing 3 January 14th 05 05:18 PM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 02:08 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 05:22 PM