Val D'Isere Opening weekend pics and short review

Old December 4th 03, 12:28 PM
PG

Default Val D'Isere Opening weekend pics and short review

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
| "PG" wrote in news:bqn8fj$248sh9$1@ID-
| 146837.news.uni-berlin.de:
|
| Getting
| worried about your trip to Val in the New Year, yet ?!
|

| alpine experience website says 1m of fresh fell in fornet
yesterday!

Not a flake in BSM since last week... luck of the draw perhaps,
but 1m in Fornet, yesterday alone? Hmmm.

Pete

Old December 4th 03, 01:20 PM
Greg Hilton

Not a flake in BSM since last week... luck of the draw perhaps,
but 1m in Fornet, yesterday alone? Hmmm.

from the alpine website:

December 4th
Will on Radio Val announced close to a metre of snow at the Fornet last
night and hardly a flake on Bellevarde

Old December 4th 03, 01:27 PM
PG

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
| Not a flake in BSM since last week... luck of the draw
perhaps,
| but 1m in Fornet, yesterday alone? Hmmm.
|
| from the alpine website:
|
| December 4th
| Will on Radio Val announced close to a metre of snow at the
Fornet last
| night and hardly a flake on Bellevarde

Well that's a little reassuring, although I wonder how much
stuck, it was gusting to 140kph above Arcs 2000 yesterday...

Pete

Old December 4th 03, 07:54 PM
David Off

PG wrote:

Incredible warm gales roaring up the Tarentaise since the
beginning of the week, and hardly a drop of moisture. Getting
worried about your trip to Val in the New Year, yet ?!

Yes, a few sleepless nights :-). Hell I'll cross country or mountain
bike or something.

But it always snows before I go on my winter hols so not too worried.

The Southern Alpes (ooops sorry I mean Alps - force of habit) and
Pyrénées are the best bets at the moment. I've cancelled my trip to the
premiere neige at Meribel this weekend as reports are that you need rock
skis for anywhere from Val d'Isère to Val Thorens. Greg really hit the
best few days, I would have been there too (had free tickets for the
opening, but I was busy in Paris :-(

Oh, nice to see Greg's photos popping up elsewhere on the Internet.

David

Old December 4th 03, 08:21 PM
PG

"David Off" wrote in message
| PG wrote:
|
| Incredible warm gales roaring up the Tarentaise since the
| beginning of the week, and hardly a drop of moisture. Getting
| worried about your trip to Val in the New Year, yet ?!
|

| Yes, a few sleepless nights :-). Hell I'll cross country or
mountain
| bike or something.
|
| But it always snows before I go on my winter hols so not too
worried.

| The Southern Alpes (ooops sorry I mean Alps - force of habit)
and
| Pyrénées are the best bets at the moment.

..../...

Just imagine if all that's just caused the huge floods in the
Rhone Valley had been dumped on the Alps instead......

Pete

Old December 5th 03, 09:57 AM
Ian Spare

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 21:54:33 +0100, David Off
wrote:

The Southern Alpes (ooops sorry I mean Alps - force of habit) and
Pyrénées are the best bets at the moment. I've cancelled my trip to the
premiere neige at Meribel this weekend as reports are that you need rock
skis for anywhere from Val d'Isère to Val Thorens. Greg really hit the
best few days, I would have been there too (had free tickets for the
opening, but I was busy in Paris :-(

In which case you must also mean Pyrenees, first snow and Val
D'Ise-)

You needed rock skis at the village level in Verbier on Saturday and
Moleson was dreadful, I daren't look at my skis, and they were my good
pair as well which is irritating as I've a couple of adequete pairs in
the flat in France along with an old snowboard (and a few cases of
wine which I'm running sort of)

Ian
Old December 5th 03, 10:36 AM
PG

"David Off" wrote in message
om...
| "Bill Seddon" wrote in message

| I hope so too. The Ski World Cup at Val d'Isère has just been
| cancelled and so has the Avoriaz Snowboard Kick-off weekend.
Both due
| to lack of snow. It is supposed to be the worst start to
December for
| 20 years.
|
| I assume it is PG bringing all the hot weather with him from
the
| south.

And of course I've been getting plenty of ribbing from ex-skiing
companions from the south, crowing over the excellent conditions,
and suggesting we could always take a trip back down there if we
want to get any skiing in before January..... (

Pete

Old December 5th 03, 08:33 PM
Greg Hilton

Oh, nice to see Greg's photos popping up elsewhere on the Internet.

David

Whereabouts David? One site has contacted me and asked if he can use them,
but no other have.

regards,

greg
Old December 6th 03, 03:22 PM
David Shaw

dunno, but god DAMN that snow looks good. (the bit behind him, not in
front...)

"Roger" wrote in message
m...
Greg Hilton wrote in message

very short of time, but quickly.

Arrived Friday, rain/snow all the way up from Geneva virtually. Loads of
snow in resort and still snowing.

Woke Saturday to blue skies, 1st lift up from Solaise, straight over
into Fornet and freshies all morning. check the piccies (hope this works
- can someone let me know if they can see the pics)

http://community.webshots.com/album/102843534QQtuAl
http://community.webshots.com/album/102824417qDewYW

Why's there a pic of someone taking a wiz on a fence!??
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...02979672jYjnwU

Old December 7th 03, 08:25 PM
David Off

Greg Hilton wrote:
Oh, nice to see Greg's photos popping up elsewhere on the Internet.

David

Whereabouts David? One site has contacted me and asked if he can use them,
but no other have.

I think we're talking about the same guy, he just deep linked to your
photos so nothing sinister.

David