Call for motorbike speed limiters

Old March 29th 07, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles;,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

Default Call for motorbike speed limiters

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:48:32 +0000 (UTC), Switters
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:13:49 GMT, Ace allegedly wrote:

can say is that despite the first half of this season being generally
poor, there's been no noticeable trend towards overall reduction of
snow levels in recent years

That does suprise me. I've had significantly less snow alerts this year.
I guess when the storms have hit, they must have dumped more than normal.

Sure. I agreed that this has been a bad season, but it's not like
every ski resort had brilliant snow cover from start to end ten years
ago. I remember my first time on snow, which was 1993 - end of
January, in Chatel (PdS) - there was no snow below the 'SuperChatel'
area, the links to Avoriaz were all closed and the daytime
temperatures were up in the 20s Celcius.

So good and bad seasons have been around for at least that sort of
period, and I don't believe it was an exceptional phenomenon even
then.

--
_______
..'_/_|_\_'. Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 29th 07, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles;,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Switters

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:09:55 GMT, Ace allegedly wrote:

So good and bad seasons have been around for at least that sort of
period, and I don't believe it was an exceptional phenomenon even
then.

Exactly. I'm sure it'll be colder and snowier next year, and they'll blame
that on global warming too.

On the upside, it's been so mild (in the UK), it's been nice to get out
and do stuff nearly every weekend.
Old March 30th 07, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
davidof

Ace wrote:
Sure. I agreed that this has been a bad season, but it's not like
every ski resort had brilliant snow cover from start to end ten years
ago. I remember my first time on snow, which was 1993 - end of
January, in Chatel (PdS) - there was no snow below the 'SuperChatel'

I first started skiing in 1975 and people were whinging about the lack
of snow back then. "if you'd have come last week you could have skied
back to the village but the warm spell has melted all the snow" - they
told us. If we hadn't have been told that we'd have been quite happy
with what there was.
Old March 30th 07, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

davidof wrote:
Ace wrote:

Sure. I agreed that this has been a bad season, but it's not like
every ski resort had brilliant snow cover from start to end ten years
ago. I remember my first time on snow, which was 1993 - end of
January, in Chatel (PdS) - there was no snow below the 'SuperChatel'

I first started skiing in 1975 and people were whinging about the lack
of snow back then. "if you'd have come last week you could have skied
back to the village but the warm spell has melted all the snow" - they
told us. If we hadn't have been told that we'd have been quite happy
with what there was.

My first season skiing was in Terminillo, only 100km from Rome 30 odd
years ago. When I arrived early Jan there was no snow at all (I was
working in Rieti).
At the end of that month it snowed, and we were still skiing, admittedly
in slush, at the beginning of May.
Hmmm, just like this year !
Old March 30th 07, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 30 Mar, 11:57, BrritSki wrote:
davidof wrote:
Ace wrote:

[...]

Only got a few years to go on, but comparing this season to last,
certainly anywhere below 1600M in the local area had a worse time of
it than last year, but up here at 2100 it's been almost identical week
on week. If anything, I'd say March has been consistently better this
year.

Matt

Old March 30th 07, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
davidof

Matt T wrote:

Only got a few years to go on, but comparing this season to last,
certainly anywhere below 1600M in the local area had a worse time of
it than last year, but up here at 2100 it's been almost identical week
on week. If anything, I'd say March has been consistently better this
year.

Snow at 400m today. Should be awesome tomorrow.
Old March 30th 07, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

"davidof" wrote in message
| Matt T wrote:
|
| Only got a few years to go on, but comparing this season to last,
| certainly anywhere below 1600M in the local area had a worse time of
| it than last year, but up here at 2100 it's been almost identical
week
| on week. If anything, I'd say March has been consistently better
this
| year.
|
| Snow at 400m today. Should be awesome tomorrow.

Snow has been great through March at Les Arcs, and it's binning it down
at Bourg St Maurice at the moment, the Foehn having kept the snow at bay
until late afternoon.

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com http://buddingchampions.org

Old April 2nd 07, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
JR

Keeping my fingers crossed.......took a flyer and booked a 5 day trip to
Chamonix on 20th......hoping it doesn't get too warm in the next 2 weeks!