Engleberg skiing

Old September 17th 14, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

Default Engleberg skiing

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:36:17 GMT, "Jérémy" wrote:

Ace wrote in
:

I also found on the same page some details of the plan to link us with
Meiringen-Hasliberg and Melchsee-Frutt. Seems that they submitted a
planning application again a couple of years back, but it's still not
been approved :-(

The tendency seems to be the other way. Did you see the 4 Vallées has
fallen to bits?

Well, politically it has, yes, but then it was only ever a loose
alliance of warring parties at best. I think the smaller villages
statred out very much as second-rate partners and are now demanding a
larger share of the cake proportional to the amount of skiing they
offer, but the majority of their visitors actually stay in Verbier.

In the proposed link-up here, which was first mooted more than a
decade ago, Meiringen-Hasliberg is almost as large a ski area as
Engleberg (albeit not as steep) and the towns combined are actually
larger, so it would be much more a partnership of equals.
--
Ace
Prime Ski School, Engelberg, CH
Old September 17th 14, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 08:03:33 +0000 (UTC), Switters
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:34:46 GMT, Jérémy wrote:

Champ wrote in
:

I thought one of the advantages of snowboarding boots was to fell smug
in the company of skiers when having to walk anywhere?

At its apogee on the arrette from Aiguille de Midi to the starting
point of the Vallee Blanche

Those of us who wear randonnée boots have only this to say: try putting
crampons on snowboard boots.

We have. It wasn't a problem.

Touché.

Have you gone for the split boards yet, or do you still limit your
possibilities by using only snowshoes for backcountry access?

Old September 17th 14, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ[_2_]

wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:34:46 GMT, Jérémy wrote:

I thought one of the advantages of snowboarding boots was to feel smug
in the company of skiers when having to walk anywhere?

At its apogee on the arrette from Aiguille de Midi to the starting
point of the Vallee Blanche

Those of us who wear randonnée boots have only this to say: try putting
crampons on snowboard boots.

We have. It wasn't a problem.

Wot he said. Used crampons on snopboard boots a few times, with no
issues at all.

Switters and I used them when we went he
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Mon...Blanc&t=m&z=15

:-)
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old September 17th 14, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:13:27 +0000 (UTC), Switters
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:18:53 GMT, Ace wrote:

Have you gone for the split boards yet, or do you still limit your
possibilities by using only snowshoes for backcountry access?

I've managed to limit my possibilities by going on all my trips with my
Mrs.

We really must get you out to Engelberg. Iain loved it when he came
out, and I'm pretty sure you would too. And there's enough options
that you could bring K with you, and dip off for an off-piste run
without abandoning her completely.

I've not done any proper backcountry stuff for quite a while and if
sanity prevails, I'd get some avalanche awareness re-training before doing
so again.

Can't just put on a Pieps and call time-out if I don't like the way things
are going.

If only we knew someone involved with a ski school who might be able
to arrange that...
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old September 17th 14, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ[_2_]

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 22:59:54 +0200, Ace wrote:

Of course the exact layout of the lift stations is all changing now,
as they've started construction on the new fast lift that goes all the
way up to Stand

Really? Wow.

Can't wait to see it all again!

Well it won't be open until next season, i.e. 2015/16.

ah, ok

But if you make
it out this coming one then you'll at least see the work in progress.

Skipping last season was a blloody stupid thing to do (although
financially advisable). I really don't plan to make the mistake
again. In fact, pretty soon, I'll start thinking about a
pre-Christmas trip!

--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old September 17th 14, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:54:36 +0100, Champ wrote:

Skipping last season was a blloody stupid thing to do (although
financially advisable). I really don't plan to make the mistake
again. In fact, pretty soon, I'll start thinking about a
pre-Christmas trip!

We're busy 13-17 Dec, but no other plans for that period.
Old September 18th 14, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jérémy

Champ wrote in
:

Wot he said. Used crampons on snopboard boots a few times, with no
issues at all.

Switters and I used them when we went he
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Mon...ance&hl=en&ll=
45.832029,6.871862&spn=0.023862,0.038409&sll=52.83 82,-2.327815&sspn=10.
601787,19.665527&oq=mont+bla&hnear=Mont+Blanc&t=m& z=15

You walked up Mont Blanc in snowboard boots?!

--
Jeremy
K1300GT
Old September 18th 14, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Andy Bonwick[_2_]

On 18/09/2014 08:11, Jérémy wrote:
Champ wrote in
:

Wot he said. Used crampons on snopboard boots a few times, with no
issues at all.

Switters and I used them when we went he
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Mon...ance&hl=en&ll=
45.832029,6.871862&spn=0.023862,0.038409&sll=52.83 82,-2.327815&sspn=10.
601787,19.665527&oq=mont+bla&hnear=Mont+Blanc&t=m& z=15

You walked up Mont Blanc in snowboard boots?!

Only as far as the helicopter.

Old September 19th 14, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jérémy

Andy Bonwick wrote in
:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Mon...France&hl=en&l
l=
45.832029,6.871862&spn=0.023862,0.038409&sll=52.83 82,-2.327815&sspn=1
0. 601787,19.665527&oq=mont+bla&hnear=Mont+Blanc&t=m& z=15

You walked up Mont Blanc in snowboard boots?!

Only as far as the helicopter.

.... was the answer I was trying to provoke.

A distant memory has resurfaced. The first time I climbed Mt. Blanc, in
1980, I spent 36 hours sitting out a storm in the Vallot hut. Also
present, among many other people, was a party of Germans wearing those
orange tent-shaped waterproofs we called sailing smocks, and ski boots.
I didn't ski in those days, and didn't look closely at them, but I
expect they were back-loaders. Can't have been more comfortable than
modern snowboard boots, certainly, and they climbed up the ridge on the
Gouter in them.

--
Jeremy
K1300GT
Old September 19th 14, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
ogden

Jérémy wrote:

A distant memory has resurfaced. The first time I climbed Mt. Blanc,

in
1980, I spent 36 hours sitting out a storm in the Vallot hut. Also
present, among many other people, was a party of Germans wearing those
orange tent-shaped waterproofs we called sailing smocks, and ski boots.
I didn't ski in those days, and didn't look closely at them, but I
expect they were back-loaders.

*fnarr*

--
ogden