Source for replacement Salomon Profil Equipe heel plates?

Old February 4th 10, 11:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
rec.skiing.nordic

Default Source for replacement Salomon Profil Equipe heel plates?

I recently switched to Salomon Pilot boots. In a perfect world Pilot
boots should be compatible with both Salomon Pilot bindings and Profil
Skate bindings. However, one of my pairs of skis has an older set of
Salomon Profil Equip Skate bindings on them. These bindings pre-date
Pilot boots, so they do not have a 'cut-out' in the heel plate to
accommodate the second pin on the Pilot boot sole.

The current Salomon Profil Equipe skate bindings have a cut-out in the
heel plates that pose no problems to Pilot boots. Yes, you can use
the older plates, but if you take a forceful fall you can also bend
the second pin on your Pilot boots.

Does anyone know a source for replacement Salomon Profil Equipe heel
plates (i.e. the newer style with the cut-out)?

Thanks in advance.
Old February 4th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I'd start with the local ski club and ski shop, since they pull
bindings all the time and typically keep around a stock of used heel
plates. Failing that, I'd start emailing ski shops around the country
to see if I could come up with something at a reasonable price. Please
post what you find. OTOH, I wonder if taking a power saw to the old
style plates would do the trick.

Btw, I didn't know about the new style with the cut-out. I've used pilot
boots on the old style profil with skis and rollerskis for years and and
taken some nasty tumbles without damage (to the bindings, that is). But
some others have - I'm guessing relatively few - so playing it safe is
understandable.

Gene

Old February 5th 10, 07:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Andrew Lee[_2_]

wrote:
Does anyone know a source for replacement Salomon Profil Equipe heel
plates (i.e. the newer style with the cut-out)?

There's no way you'll bend the second pin on the plastic plate, but I
agree that the newer style is better (taller tounge to fit in the boot
groove).

You should be able to get brand need Salomon heel plates at most
nordic ski shops for a reasonable price ($10-$15 range for a pair if I
recall correctly from when I last bought some). I can even get them
at my local REI, where they even carry (new) smaller parts like the
circular and square plastic bolt cover plates (for ~$1).
Old February 6th 10, 12:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Spunout

Does anyone know a source for replacement Salomon Profil Equipe heel
plates (i.e. the newer style with the cut-out)?

FWIW, the Profile Classic Equipe has the cutout, and will fit a pilot
boot.
Old February 10th 10, 12:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
rec.skiing.nordic

My local ski shop does not have the Salomon Profil Equipe heel plates
and neither does one of the largest XC shops (within 2+ hours of me)
in Upstate, NY. I did find them on-line at Bikeman in Maine.
http://www.bikeman.com/Ski.html

Regrettably, Bikeman wants about $21 + shipping for these two pieces
of plastic, which is a bit above my tolerance level.
I'll just continue to use my older Salomon boots (Profile Equipe sole,
rather than Pilot) when I use these skis.
Old February 10th 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Spunout

On Feb 10, 8:12*am, "rec.skiing.nordic" wrote:
My local ski shop does not have the Salomon Profil Equipe heel plates
and neither does one of the largest XC shops (within 2+ hours of me)
in Upstate, NY. *I did find them on-line at Bikeman in Maine.http://www..bikeman.com/Ski.html

Try Fresh Air Experience.
Old February 10th 10, 03:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 05:12:03 -0800 (PST)
"rec.skiing.nordic" wrote:

My local ski shop does not have the Salomon Profil Equipe heel plates
and neither does one of the largest XC shops (within 2+ hours of me)
in Upstate, NY. I did find them on-line at Bikeman in Maine.
http://www.bikeman.com/Ski.html

Regrettably, Bikeman wants about $21 + shipping for these two pieces
of plastic, which is a bit above my tolerance level.
I'll just continue to use my older Salomon boots (Profile Equipe sole,
rather than Pilot) when I use these skis.

That seems high but not outrageous, assuming shipping is not more than
a few dollars, which was my experience for grips/straps with Bikeman
(for a small, light item like that, ask for it to be sent in an envelope
USPS first class). Also, Bikeman is not really a specialized x-c ski
shop. Fresh Air is in Canada, so that will likely jack up the
shipping. How many shops did you write? Here's a quick list, where
you may have the best luck:

Akers (ME)
Berkshire Outfitters (MA)
Cross Country Ski Shop of Grayling (MI)
Finn Sisu (MN)
Gear West (MN)
Ski Hut (MN)
Eagle River Nordic (WI)
New Moon (WI)
Riverbrook Bike & Ski (WI)
Bicycle Doctor (WI)
Continental Bike & Ski (MN)
Fitness Fanatics (WA)
Joe's Sporting Goods (MN)
Paco's (CA)
Pioneer Midwest (MN)
Sports Rack (MI)
Skinny Skis (WY)
Sunnyside Sports (OR)
The Mountain Zone (WA)
WebSkis (OR)
Wild Rose Sports (UT)
Old February 10th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
rec.skiing.nordic

FWIW, purchasing the plates has become a moot point. I just sold the
subject skis and bindings locally.

I have talked to several of the shops above, many did not have the
heel plates in-stock, so they wanted a bit of a premium to 'special
order' them. Many shops charge a minimum of at least $6.95 to ship.
Since I do a bit of shipping myself (I have USPS, UPS and FedEx
accounts) I don't find the shipping outlandish, but it added to what I
already felt was a high cost for two pieces of plastic from a number
of these retailers.

Best Deal hands-down was Gear West. They quoted $5/individual plate
and currently they are offering a promotional Free regular shipping.
If I had kept the skis Gear West would have been a no-brainer.
Old February 10th 10, 04:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:15:23 -0800 (PST)
"rec.skiing.nordic" wrote:

FWIW, purchasing the plates has become a moot point. I just sold the
subject skis and bindings locally.

I must be missing something here. Four hours ago you posted, "I'll
just continue to use my older Salomon boots (Profile Equipe sole,
rather than Pilot) when I use these skis," when in fact you were
selling them - or had already done so. Why didn't you say it then? And
why dwell on the Bikeman deal, giving the impression that you'd only
contacted a few places you mentioned, when you had written others and
had a better offer from Gear West. Wasted my/our time offering a list.
Not appreciated.

Gene

Old February 10th 10, 06:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
rec.skiing.nordic

Gene,
You are not missing anything. When I initially posted my original
inquiry I was very much leaning toward upgrading the heel plates.
Late this morning I received an offer I couldn't refuse on the subject
skis from an individual in our local bicycle racing club. They
needed a pair of skate skis and I would not have to bother with
updating my old heel plates for potential Pilot usage.
I am sorry if you feel I washed your time. That was certainly not my
intent. I appreciate your input, but I simply changed my mind. The
last I knew people are free to do that in regard to purchases/sales.
It seems that my wife does it all the time.

With your comments in mind I will refrain from asking any similar
sourcing questions on this board in the future.

Joe