Cape Smokey

Old July 28th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default Cape Smokey

Took a look at Ski Cape Smokey, Nova Scotia while driving around the
last few weeks -
Anyone ever ski there? Comparisons?
Old July 28th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
Took a look at Ski Cape Smokey, Nova Scotia while driving around the
last few weeks -
Anyone ever ski there? Comparisons?

Is that the one in Ingonish? On the Atlantic side of Cape Breton?
I went by in the summer, thought it should be great to ski with
a view of the ocean.

As for snow, I have no idea. I have heard that snow in Newfoundland
is roughly equivalent to Cascade concrete.
Old July 29th 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
Took a look at Ski Cape Smokey, Nova Scotia while driving around the
last few weeks -
Anyone ever ski there? Comparisons?

Is that the one in Ingonish? On the Atlantic side of Cape Breton?

Yes. Looked small, relatively flat; but if it's what you got it's what
you got. Talked to a kid pumping gas who learned to ski there - said
he's skied regularly there since he was 2. He liked it; but he had been
nowhere else, basically.

I went by in the summer, thought it should be great to ski with
a view of the ocean.

Nice neighborhood - friendly natives.

Old July 29th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
Took a look at Ski Cape Smokey, Nova Scotia while driving around the
last few weeks -
Anyone ever ski there? Comparisons?

Is that the one in Ingonish? On the Atlantic side of Cape Breton?

Yes. Looked small, relatively flat; but if it's what you got it's what
you got. Talked to a kid pumping gas who learned to ski there - said
he's skied regularly there since he was 2. He liked it; but he had been
nowhere else, basically.

I went by in the summer, thought it should be great to ski with
a view of the ocean.

Nice neighborhood - friendly natives.

My father grew up there. I've always thought of
NS as Vermont with an ocean.

By the way, there are other ski areas, very small,
in the interior of the western part of the province.
This is where the hills and lakes are. Quite
beautiful.

The western part is the peninsula with the Bay of
Fundy on the north. NS runs east-west, not north-south
as you might expect.

As for snow, I have no idea. I have heard that snow in Newfoundland
is roughly equivalent to Cascade concrete.

Just before C and I were married, we decided that
we should take a trip to see if we could stand each
other for extended periods. Nova Scotia, camping,
seemed just the ticket.

My Dad grew up there, so after getting off the boat
at Yarmouth, we went up the Fundy side to the town
where he lived. Found the family homestead which I
had seen many times as a kid.

Drove to Baddeck on Bras D'Or Lake and camped for
a week seeing the sights including the A. G. Bell
museum. When we left, we went around the Cabot Trail,
which is when we came across Ski Cape Smokey.

Continued on and went back to Yarmouth via the Atlantic
side (to locals this is the South Coast) staying a few
days in Lunnenberg.

We returned July 4 weekend. We couldn't find a hotel
room anywhere. Basically we drove from Lunnenberg,
NS to the Northeast Kingdom of VT, including the boat
ride from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor in a single 16 hour day.
Old July 30th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
Took a look at Ski Cape Smokey, Nova Scotia while driving around the
last few weeks -
Anyone ever ski there? Comparisons?

Is this the Old Smoky that the famous song is about?

I didn't know it was Canadian, eh.

//Walt