Do you forget how to Ski??

Old January 5th 04, 10:28 PM
Chris Wilburn

Default Do you forget how to Ski??

This might sound silly but I cannot really find any kind of answer (perhaps
because there is not one) but here goes.

I have just booked a trip to Livigno, Italy with 4 mates for February this
year.

They have all been skiing several times and I suppose are classed as
intermediate / advanced level.

I have only been once before, but this was 7 years ago when I was then 16
years old.
By the end of this 7 day trip was parallel skiing confidently after 8 hrs
tuition and on the last day even managed a red run.

My question is do you ever forget how to ski?? Is it like riding a bike
were once you have mastered it you really never forget or will I have to
start from the beginning. I am guessing the answer will be somewhere in
between.

Can anyone out there shed any light on the subject, and perhaps also how you
think I would get on in Livigno. From what I hear on the internet it is
good for beginners / intermediate level skiers.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Old January 5th 04, 10:59 PM
David Brown :o\)

I had a 20 year gap from the age of 12 until 32 and was parrarel turning
comfortably on the first run down.
Having said that, it takes me a couple of days every year now to get back to
my normal standard.

--
David )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Old January 6th 04, 08:19 AM
Ian Spare

Old January 6th 04, 09:45 AM
MoonMan

Chris Wilburn wrote:
[...]

I would suggest spending an hour or so at your local dry slope or
SnowDome/zone. this should at least start to bring your unused skiing
reflexes back. you don't lose them they just have to be used.

From my massive experience of livigno (1 day last year) I would say you
should have a great time.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 6th 04, 02:41 PM
Rob White

Its like riding a bike - you never forget
Rob
"Chris Wilburn" M wrote in
message ...

Old January 6th 04, 06:27 PM
S. Gione

Everyone seems to be telling you to go-go.

The wise choice would be for you, having only a week 7 years ago, would be
to spend a couple of days in ski school before heading out with your mates.
A lot of skiing is "remembered" but the question is whether you have enough
experience that can be "remembered".

Heading out with other int/advanced 23-year olds with the testosterone
flowing, you may find yourself on some steep slope covered with bumps. 7
days of experience may not be enough to "enjoy" that.

"Chris Wilburn" M wrote in
message ...

Old January 6th 04, 11:05 PM
Turan Fettahoglu

My question is do you ever forget how to ski

The wise choice would be for you, having only a week 7 years ago, would be
to spend a couple of days in ski school before heading out with your

mates.
A lot of skiing is "remembered" but the question is whether you have

enough
experience that can be "remembered".

S. Gione is right, take some skiing lessons to brush up your skiing skills.
One more thing: skis have become better in the past years. I replaced my
very old skis with carving skis - and it did make a great difference.

Rent a pair of new skis, do some training for a day or two - and enjoy the
rest of your stay.

HTH
Turan

Old January 7th 04, 12:25 AM
Jim Hutton

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:45:06 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote:

Chris Wilburn wrote:

My question is do you ever forget how to ski?? Is it like riding a
bike were once you have mastered it you really never forget or will I
have to start from the beginning. I am guessing the answer will be
somewhere in between.

I would suggest spending an hour or so at your local dry slope or
SnowDome/zone. this should at least start to bring your unused skiing
reflexes back. you don't lose them they just have to be used.

From my massive experience of livigno (1 day last year) I would say you
should have a great time.

I would seriously recommend NOT going to the dry-slope (snow dome may
be better, I don't know).

It is the received wisdom that some dry-slope before you go back to
skiing is a good idea, and for years I did this. I found that despite
this it took at least a morning to even feel comfortable on snow, let
alone be back to last year's standard.

I assumed that this was the best I could do, until one year due to
circumstances I couldn't do any dry-slope. The difference was amazing
- I felt at home on the snow immediately, and was skiing with my usual
over-confidence within an hour.

Has anyone else found this ?

Jim Hutton

Old January 7th 04, 12:39 AM
James Hart

wrote:

Chris Wilburn wrote:

My question is do you ever forget how to ski?? Is it like riding
a bike were once you have mastered it you really never forget or
will I have to start from the beginning. I am guessing the answer
will be somewhere in between.

I would suggest spending an hour or so at your local dry slope or
SnowDome/zone. this should at least start to bring your unused skiing
reflexes back. you don't lose them they just have to be used.

From my massive experience of livigno (1 day last year) I would say
you should have a great time.

I would seriously recommend NOT going to the dry-slope (snow dome may
be better, I don't know).

It is the received wisdom that some dry-slope before you go back to
skiing is a good idea, and for years I did this. I found that despite
this it took at least a morning to even feel comfortable on snow, let
alone be back to last year's standard.

I assumed that this was the best I could do, until one year due to
circumstances I couldn't do any dry-slope. The difference was amazing
- I felt at home on the snow immediately, and was skiing with my usual
over-confidence within an hour.

Has anyone else found this ?

I too find it takes a few runs on snow after running on plastic to get a
real 'feel' back but I know I feel a lot more confident after getting a few
hours on plastic under my belt before doing the real thing. I've got no
direct comparison but next weekend about half our group hasn't skiied since
last year whereas the other half will have had a couple of hours on the dry
slope. It will be interesting to see the difference between the 2 groups.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Old January 7th 04, 12:44 AM
AndyM

Turan Fettahoglu wrote:
My question is do you ever forget how to ski

The wise choice would be for you, having only a week 7 years ago, would be
to spend a couple of days in ski school before heading out with your

mates.

A lot of skiing is "remembered" but the question is whether you have

enough

experience that can be "remembered".

S. Gione is right, take some skiing lessons to brush up your skiing skills.
One more thing: skis have become better in the past years. I replaced my
very old skis with carving skis - and it did make a great difference.

Rent a pair of new skis, do some training for a day or two - and enjoy the
rest of your stay.

I don't think you forget how to ski, but remembering may take time depending on the equipment you
are lumped with.

My second week took 4 days to get to where I was on the last day of my first time on skis. I've
always ended up with rented 185-190 non-carve planks, and the first day or so each time felt like a
nightmare trying to turn them. By the Wednesday, there were definitely muscles I never knew I had!!!

Last yr I got (newish) 175 carvers for the first time, and was back to normal by then end of the
first warmup run. I've never been able to turn so easily, handle the bumps, and link so many turns.

I don't know what it is, but in Lech I was advised I was not expert enough for carve skis for my
4th/5th week on snow, but in Les Gets they were dishing out carvers to newbies.

If all the others are advanced, and you are the only beginner, then take some refresher lessons.
But saying that, I believe that skiing with one/two better skiers helps you to improve.
--
AndyM